Tom Brennan v NatWest - This is a must-read!!!

calvi36
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Any way Cobbett slayer you set your own little precident. Whacking Cobblers into touch. :)

Thing is Parky, I didn't set precedent cos they bought me off before they disclosed. It was a great moment as it showed Cobbetts that they can be taken on and they can lose. If only that had been in a higher court..........

Advice given is either my experience or my opinion and is given without liability. If in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

If you PM me for advice I will only reply in your own thread

Never under estimate your ability. I won over £17,000!

For the full story - look here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/17630-thecobbettslayer-NatWest.html

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cobbett slayer,

if a DJ had made a ruling, then surely the costs would have already been disclosed thus giving the judge the chance to make the ruling.

If you are suggesting that the defence would even dream of trying to take the subject to appeal and thus a higher court, and thus finally nailing them to the wall once and for all, then i really cant see them being so foolish can you ?

but for a judge to make judgement in the first place he must have had the chance to see the proof of the charges and the breakdown of said charges, personally if the bank ever let things go this far, IMHO i think they would leave very quietly by the back door, without a murmour.

Dont Rush - Take Your Time - Dont always take me seriously

:p

If you feel i have helped you then click

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

MBNA - Case Charges+PPI+CI+LA+Damages+costs

RBS Credit Card - Case Charges+CI+LA+Costs

Barclays - Case Charges+CI+LA+Damages+costs

Halifax - Case Charges+CI+Damages+costs

Online Finance - Case Charge+CI+Damages+costs

Cobbet slayer as you say a precedent would not be set by a County Court.

Nevertheless if & it's a big if a claimant did manage to go to a full hearing where the banks cost are revealed then claimants could use it in any subsequent claim too good effect. This as you will know happens frequently in other matters of litigation such as PI & this is why Tom Brennan's case is so important to us.

In order to counter his damages argument the bank will have to convince the court that their charges are lawful which is in essence the same argument for all other claimants.

The beauty of it is that should he win, or they concede, then we can all use the same argument to add value to our claims & cause the banks some real financial pain

Mistermind can you provide a link?

Such info, if confirmed, should be included in claimants POC particularly those against NW

Dublin banks £3 charge - explicit Terms and Conditions -

ACC Bank

“REFERRED CHARGES…Cheque, direct debit or standing order presented which if paid would place your account in an unathorised position – Euro 4.44

Allied Irish Banks

"3. Late Payment Charge

Should payments not be made in accordance with the Conditions of Use an administration charge of EUR 3.81 will be debited from the cards account.

4. Over Limit Charge

Should the account be operated in excess of the Credit Limit, an administration charge of EUR 2.54 may be debited from the cards account.

5. Returned Payment Charge

Should any payment either by cheque or direct debit be returned unpaid an administration charge of EUR 4.44 will be debited to the card account."

Pliny, this thread, 1 page back, post #146

Thanks for the link

Are claimants including this information in order to boost their POC's? & if not & there's a recommended court bundle on the site wouldn't it be a good idea to include it

Bong,

how did you find that out ?

Here, if you feel i have not helped you then click Here, if you want to complain about this go Here, if you would like bank secrets then go Here.

interesting read, like his views on damages lol

from the interview link above

"The Office of Fair Trading stated in April 2006 that, if credit-card companies don't reduce their charges for such things as late payments to less than £12, it will presume that the charge is unfair and that it is 'likely to challenge the charge unless there are limited, exceptional business factors in play'. However, Brennan said that Egg are still charging £16. The question is, why hasn't the Office of Fair Trading stepped in?"

Egg, of course, wrangled a special £16 dispensation from OFT as far back as last April -- there is firsthand material on the web covering this exception. Tom is one man with a case to prepare, a website to run, plus UK, Irish, and some European press to deal with. He appears to have a team of colleagues doing research for him, but no doubt supporters on CAG could be of assistance........

Of course the OFT dispensation is meaningless to us. It only means that like their unfathomable £12 they will not take action against Egg. Not that they are doing it anyway as they threatened

See:

Customer takes NatWest to court over bank charges | Saving and banks | Guardian Unlimited Money

I wonder what the precedent would be be if Tom Brennan ultimately loses his case?

The cynic in me can help but ponder if that is the real intention -- launch a weak case, get beaten, get royally hired later on and meanwhile, the banks who must be very worried about other complainants seeking damages in the future, merely sit back in their leather fireside chairs dipping the ends of their smouldering romeo y julietta's in capacious crystal cognac bowls filled with comfy quantities of Remy Louis III - smiling quietly, always smiling. Like Cheshire cats.

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Ha ha!

That does sound very cynical, but what a set up that could be, the banks club together and pay somebody to 'lose' a case against them and suddenly the whole bank charges reclaim phenomenon comes to an end. Saving the bank potentially hundreds of millions!

Not even the banks would drop that low, or would they?!

Not even the banks would drop that low, or would they?!

Yep, sure they would!

Y

Credit Cards

Barclaycard -WON! Amex - WON! MBNA (x2) - WON!

Mint - WON! Monument - WON! Morgan Stanley - WON!

Egg - WON! Halifax - WON! Sainsbury's Bank - WON!

Citi Cards -WON!

Banks

08/06/06 Claim against NatWest started.

01/11/06 Case Closed :)

08/06/06 Claim against Halifax started

24/08/06 Case closed :)

Visit my forum: http://www.planet-watch.org/forum