• Tweets

• Topic moved to Financial legal Issues forum in view of the claim form. Topic title updated Please continue to post here, Andy   .
    • Hi, Purchased a car from Arnold Clark, Nottingham branch, on 5th April this year. Car was located in a different branch of Arnold Clark (Glasgow I believe) so was purchased on the standard proviso that it would be checked over by them etc.  Collected the car on 12th April, when I inspected it prior to handover it was noted that there was a ding/paint chip on the driver's door, a mark on the roof and damage to the screen of the infotainment (radio) where there was a chunk taken out of the touch screen. At the time I was told by the staff member who did the handover all these would be fixed as I had pointed them out to him, I even sent follow up photos of the damage a few days after. I drove the car away, signed the paper work etc. After some delays on their part the paint work was eventually booked in and fixed last Friday. The roof is still apparently being looked into (it's a standard wrap that appears to be a common issue with the car). The major issue here is the damage and chunk out of the touch screen infotainment system. This forms a major part of the car as you can change settings etc. in there. Arnold Clark are now advising me, after having a few people, including a manager there look at it, that they won't fix this, despite advising that they would during the handover. I have raised this with their internal complaints team but am receiving the same response. The general manager of the branch, who already had a very aggressive/blase attitude, which has been downright rude at points to this whole thing, treating it like's a trivial little mark. All this has left me with a very sour taste in my mouth and I'm now at a loss as to how to proceed and get this work repaired by them. Do I go to the Motor Ombudsman/finance company or? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give
    • You'll need to acknowledge service pretty sharpish then. I'm sure dx will pop up once you've filled in the template with the next steps.
    • It's possible, either way the OP's level of worry is far far higher, than any consequences.
    • Hi lolerz thanks for your reply. I'll fill this in when I get home. Just to let you know the 25/05/24 is incorrect I received the county court letter on fri 17/05/24
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Koala Attack Vs Barclays

koalaattack
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm £3.5k, you're about double that? That's biggish I think, loads of people doing

that'll be the glory of compound contractual interest

check but the authorised rate is %16.something I think

my LBA will be later this week so you're nicely ahead of me

good

reading the Barclays threads, I'm getting the whiff of them routinely settling everything now, albeit after a default judgement sometimes

perhaps as much for lack of time/organisation as any desire to be difficult

the wife has already allocated my claim (in full) :rolleyes:

ah well, good luck and keep the thread alive with updates no matter how petty

:-)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for that - my girlfriend has decided where mine's going too, or so she thinks!

I left the authorised borrowing details out as, after advice from Harvest who'd been checking a load of threads, Barclays have had a tendancy to focus on this in any dealings. I figured I would remove it and not given them the option. I'll let you know how successful I am!

Checked the mail today - statement for my girlfriend; barclay card statement for her too and a letter for someone who does live there anymore; nothing for me which means nothing from Barclays. I wonder if they've forgotten me?!

Cheers,

KA

Prelim letter received by Barclays: 26/03/07

**************no reply***************

LBA received by Barclays: 10/04/07

N1 filed at court: 25/04/07

N1 received by Barclays: 04/05/07

Offer of £1,885.00: 04/05/07 (turned down)

Offer rejection received by B'clays: 08/05/07

Barclays Acknowledge Claim: 11/05/07

Barclays Defence Filed: 18/05/07

Directions Hearing Date Set: 06/08/07

Case Stayed Until Feb '08

bless them, what would we do without them?

ah, you're saying that it gives Barclays something to quibble about?

seems to me they can quibble about the entire CI if they're in the mood, otherwise it's pay in full or the court/warrant proceeds, thanks though, I'll investigate before my N!/MCOL goes in

you've only just submitted your court thingy haven't you? they so aren't going to be in touch with you with anything you want to hear

from other threads, they'll submit a defence at 4pm on the last possible day, if not later and then do nothing after that

you might even have to do a warrant after getting judgement

call the Krystal woman a week before the court date is a widely offered tip

Hello mate,

Yep, I knew that I wouldn't hear anything positive and that I would have to look towards a week or so before the court date before I could do anymore, but it would have been nice to get something saying "nice try but not a chance" just to know they know I'm serious.

I guess when my N1 lands on their doorstep on Monday they'll know!

Just so I have this straight in my head, is this what normally happens?

1 - file N1 with court

2 - court send to Barclays and me stamped with reference and claim number

3 - Barclays have 14 days to respond with defence, normally happens at very last minute if not a bit later

4 - AQ sent out giving 14 days to fill in and return to court

5 - court date set and we both then have until 14 days before to send out court bundle to court and each other (what do Barclay's send out?!)

6 - week before court date I call Barclays and they settle fully including CI and daily interest, and court fees etc

Obviously that is a bit simplified (especially number 6!) but does that sound about right?

Cheers,

KA

I'm vague on all of that stuff at the moment but otherwise that's my understanding of what to expect

I don't think anyone has ever seen a Barclay's court bundle ...

Much talk lately of the courts dispensing with AQs to speed things up as they're getting tired of the banks' abuse of the process

Hi guys,

I just wanted to mirror pretty much every other comment on this board and say what a great resource it's been - particularly in convincing me to claim. I was a little against the idea due to the fact that I had actually gone over my limit but, from reading this, I am 100% committed now.

I wrote to get my statements at the end of Feb and they came through the other night - over the last six years I have been charged £2,450 which was more than a bit of a shock!

A friend of mine has just received a letter offering him 100% of his claim back so I am more spurred on that ever now - couple that with the whistleblower programme on Wed that showed me that I have been paying between £18.50 and £28.50 too much and I am very determined now.

I'll keep this updated so hopefully it'll be useful for others who are going through this at the moment, I may need some help but I'm pretty certain I will find all of the information I need on other threads so really this is just a dairy of my next few months. Like I say, I hope it works out well and I hope I can may be help some others.

I'm sending my letter tomorrow so I guess it all starts here...

Good luck to everyone, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

KA

PS I spoke to an advisor at Barclays today via the phone (I had to cancel a couple of direct debits). When I asked whether I had had any more paid referrals this week he asked me whether I had thought about claiming them back and suggested I did. I'm not sure whether this was a trick or something, part of me thought they might use it as evidence or something at a later date (I have an active imagination and have NEVER done anything like this before!) so I finished the call very quickly, hopefully without being committal either way. It seemed to me that a Barclays Customer Service Advisor was on record telling me to claim - this seemed very, very strange to me. Has anyone else had this happen or does anyone have any idea why this may have happened?!

Cheers!

My branch recommend I did.... Claim that is

If I have been of any use to you in my response please click my scales. :oops:

MBNA WON 16/3/07 £1700 :p

Barlcays N1 fileld in and awaiting funds to take them to court.

If you want to spend some of your money from your new spending saving scheme why not buy a flybook laptop. http://www.everythingflybook.com. I can highly recommend them.

Currently in Litagation with Barclays 11/5/7 ( Awaiting Court Date )

Hi Koalaattack,

Just to clarify the process:

1. file N1 with court

2.allow 5 days to be deemed served

3. barclays have 14 days to acknowledge claim

4. barclays have a further 14 days to file defence

5. a copy of defence and possibly a AQ in post to you (I got AQ last week)

The rest is about right

HTH

madhouse5:)

Madhouse, thanks!

So from what I understand there'll be 28 days from Monday (30th April - ie five days after I filed with court) before an AQ is sent out? So really I will need to look to see whether Barclays have defended on 28th May and, when they no doubt do at 4pm or whatever, I may then have to fill out an AQ depending on what the judge says.

How do I find this out, will I be notified or will I have to call the court? I'm assuming, from what I've read in other threads, that they send the Barclays defence to me.

Am I right in thinking that court dates are set only after the AQ has been filled in and received? That means my date could be, and will more than likely be the end of August, September time?! Wow - this really is a waiting game isn't it?!

The good news is that I have already started my AQ just so I can get it in asap (you never know, it may help) and I will get my court bundle sorted so that I can have it ready to send as soon as my court date comes through - whenever that is!

This is going to take a long, long time isn't it? I always thought it would but part of me hoped to have won by summer! Good job I won't have to go to Athens after that "performance" last night - every cloud!

Cheers,

KA.

PS intercityman, I'm assuming that you are anyway given the number of post you've made?! What did they say and who was it - a manager, cashier, who?!

Hi guys,

Just a bit of an update - not heard anything yet from Barclays even though I was promised in the only letter I have received from them that they would contact me by 25th April; oh well!

They will have got my N1 form now though (today is the 5th day since I put it in at court) so guess what - everyday they stall in settling means that I earn another £1.74 - in other words, even if it only takes another month to sort this (which I doubt it will) it'll mean another £54 on to the claim!

Has anyone been contacted during the time after Barclays received the N1 and them a) acknowledging it (I'm guessing this'll be about 4pm on 14th May) and b) filing a defence (again only guess work but going by Barclay timing and tactics I would say this'll be about 4pm on 28th May)? I'm just wondering whether I should expect some sort of contact now that they know I am really serious?

Anyway, hope you all had a good weekend.

Cheers,

KA.

from the other B threads;

perhaps some offer that's more or less your core charges but not the interest

they should settle in full a week prior to court date if you call them then and keep a straight bat in the mean time

that or you issue a warrant after default judgement

my LBA went out last Friday

Hi KA,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been helping hubby fix rear brakes on car.

28 days will be on 28th May, in my case barclays entered defence the day before it was due. Then I received AQ and a copy of the defence in the post the following (easter break in between) which had to completed and returned by 27th April.

I handed in AQ 20th April, still waiting to hear. There is also the possibility the judge may not send a AQ. This at the moment depends on the judge, alot of peeps filing on line are not getting AQ.

I've had no contact from barclays regarding claim since I filed N1, I don't expect to not until there ready to settle just before court date. It takes time and patience but you will win in the end.

Cheers guys,

I figured that may be the case but just wanted to confirm it. It'll be weird to get that far and only have one letter from them, and that being a stock one too!

Madhouse, this brake fixing - you any good with a heater matrix? Mine went again on Friday! I swear to God this bargain £950 car I got has cost me nearly £2000 so far. New head; full service; air con refill; new brakes; suspension sorted; new engine (cheeper than replacing the seals that had worn) and now the heater matrix has gone for a second time - what a bargain eh?! Guess what I'll be spending my winnings on!

Cheers,

KA.

PS Anyone want to buy a car? Excellent runner with full service history and only two careful owners!

Haven't got a clue about heater matrix, we're learning as it breaks. Have you got a renault too, I paid £550 for my espace so far we've had to replace front brake pads & disc's, rear brake cylinder & shoes, 3 tyres on the front alone, air filter, drive belts (got covered in oil due to pipe falling off), battery, ht leads, distrubutor cap, boot lock, selt belt clasp. We've still got a oil leak (don't know were from), electric's are crap, but with all that said I do love my car. It's gonna get a major over haul when we get our money back.

Hey guys,

Mine is a Citreon which was one of the reasons I bought it - my dad has one and his runs great. Unfortunately, I managed to buy one from someone selling it for their "retired, older customer who's only ever driven it around the village and surrounding area". Not only that, but they did all the servicing for the bloke, the only problem being they're tractor mechanics! Never mind, you live and learn!

That explains alot renault/citreon not much difference there!!:( Owned citreon's in the past, had lots of problems. At least yours got a service, mine hasn't had a service in about 6 years (it's 12 years old). When we bought it, from a friend of a friend, it had been sitting for months undriven. They drove it round to us with no oil or water in it, didn't realise for 3 days. But we have to keep it going, we've got 5 kids need all the seats in the espace as we don't live close to the schools.

Hi folks, im just adding up my charges, can i ask a little advice? i have the list of charges (got a bit scary once i past the 1k mark):eek: from my statements and letter from the library... do i need anything else? and i assume i post it to the local branch?

Hi Tony,

Yes you are correct just send them off registered delivery to head office, that is

Barclays Bank

1 Churchill Place

London

E14 5HP

Always remember to send registered post, i never and it caused all sorts of problems, that took forever to sort out.

Good luck

Caz;)

Hi everyone,

I got a letter yesterday and guess what, Barclays are sorry to hear I am not happy, acknowledge my spreadsheets but do not agree with me.

When an account is opened everyone is aware of the obligations blah, blah, blah. And then...

..."Despite my comments above in relations to your views, on this occasion, and without and admissions of liability, I am willing to offer the sum of £1885.00 towards the total amount you are seeking. This is with the cost and inconvenience inherent in a further dispute in mind and is intended as a gesture of goodwill, in full and final settlement of your complaint. If you would like to accept my offer please sign and return the enclosed form in the pre-paid envelope provided. I will arrange for the payment to be credited directly to you account within ten working days of receipt of your acceptance at this office."

Standard letter? I'm assuming so. Not even a 1/3rd of what I am claiming so guess what, I'm saying thanks but no thanks! The interesting thing is that is was sent on 27th April which is before they will have received my N1 (I handed it into the court on 25th April which would mean that Barclays didn't get it until 30th April).

Anyway, going to draft my reply using one of the templates so I'll be back in a bit probably asking for advice.

Cheers,

KA

PS Just spoke to the court's Issue Clerk and she said that my claim was delayed being put onto the system and the service date to Barclays is today (3rd May) so they have until 17th May to acknowledge it and until 31st May to defend it. Bit of a pain but at least I know I can now start adding daily interest; every cloud!

Hi again,

Just used one of the letters from the templates, ammended it a little to fit with my situation and came up with this:

"Barclays Bank PLC

Retail Banking Customer Relations

Leicester

LE87 2BB

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX; Sort Code XX-XX-XX

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Mr Boothroyd,

Thank you for your letter dated 27/04/07. Whilst I would be happy to accept the offer of £1,885.00 as a partial payment, I respectfully decline your offer of Full and Final settlement and would like to inform you that I will continue with my claim for the full amount plus interest and costs. I feel that it is only fair to inform you that this amount will incur a daily interest rate of £1.74 as of the 3rd May 2007 until a Full and Final settlement is agreed. The current amount claimed, as of today, is£6,284.76. (1)

You may not have been aware that I commenced legal action against you for the full amount plus interest and costs on 25/04/07 (2) and I would ask that you now refer this matter to your legal department for further instruction.

I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer as Full and Final settlement and any money transferred to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance. If any money has been transferred I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly. Alternatively, should you wish to settle my claim in full, then please forward the balance of the claim (£6,284.76) without further conditions and I will inform the court that the claim is settled.

I trust this clarifies my position. If you wish to discuss this further with me please feel free to contact me by email at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx – please be advised that all correspondence will be used in my court bundle should it be required. (3)

Yours faithfully"

How does that look? Does anyone have any advice or does it seem ok? I'll be checking with my life support machine when it comes to all things bank charges (ie Harvest of "Harvest vs First Direct" fame!) but anything that anyone else can suggest would be great, thanks!

I have three questions which regards to the bits in blue:

(1) firstly, is this the right time to point this out to them and then, as today is the date of service, am I right in starting to add my daily interest onto the claim?

(2) this is the date that I filed my N1 at court; is this the correct date to quote or should I use the date of service to Barclays which, as I have been advised by the court, is today?

(3) is this the right thing to do? As I understand it emails are legally classified as "in writing" and so I can use them as correspondence in my court bundle - am I right here or should I leave this out?

Thanks,

KA

Hi guys,

Checked everything last night and it all seems ok. Just in case anyone else is in my position and want to use this as a template, below is the letter I am sending recorded delivery in a bit.

Have a great weekend everyone, it's been a good week!

Cheers,

KA

4th May 2007

Barclays Bank PLC

Retail Banking Customer Relations

Leicester

LE87 2BB

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX; Sort Code XX-XX-XX

Response to settlement offer

Dear Mr Boothroyd,

Thank you for your letter dated 27/04/07. Whilst I would be happy to accept the offer of £1,885.00 as a partial payment, I respectfully decline your offer of full and final settlement and would like to inform you that I will continue with my claim for the full amount plus interest and costs.

I feel that it is only fair to inform you that my claim will incur a daily interest rate of £1.76 as of the 3rd May 2007 until a full and final settlement is agreed. Please see the enclosed schedule of charges which details this daily rate.

The current amount claimed, as of today, is £XXXX.

You may not have been aware that I commenced legal action against you for the full amount plus interest and costs on 25/04/07 and I would ask that you now refer this matter to your legal department for further instruction.

I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer as full and final settlement and any money transferred to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance. If any money has been transferred I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly. Alternatively, should you wish to settle my claim in full, then please forward the balance of the claim (£XXXX) without further conditions and I will inform the court that the claim is settled.

As you will no doubt be aware, I am entirely confident that the charges imposed by Barclays are completely unreasonable, and that a court would agree with this statement.

I trust this clarifies my position. If you wish to discuss this further with me please feel free to contact me by email at XXXXXXXXXXXXX – please be advised that all correspondence will be used in my court bundle should it be required.

Yours faithfully (much love),

Koala Attack!