Contractually, who is my booking with?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, can anyone shed any light on this?

I recently took a holiday - I booked accommodation through a company called The Snow Co. and paid monies to the Snow Co.

The accommodation was run by a different company called Alpine Action whom The Snow Co booked the accommodation with.

Whilst in the resort there were a number of issues with the accommodation and also with a member of Alpine Action's staff. I intend to seek redress from Alpine Action but do not know legally, who my contract is with.

If anyone could shed any light I'd be very grateful.

Thanks everyone

Richie

You would probably need to write to the person you booked it through, which would be a tour operator. If they can not deal with it they would usually pass it on to the accommodation anyway. I work for a tour operator & thats how we do it.

Hi there, the snowco acts an agent of Alpine Action, therefore your contract is with Alpine as they are what is called in travel agent terms "the principal." The snowco should get you to put in writing your concerns and as your agent act on your behalf with the operator. I'm a travel agent and that's how we work. Cheers, gary

That's right, the contract is with the tour operator who would be Alpine. The Snow Co. would be the agent for the holiday booking, as others have said.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Thank you all for your advice and replies - one further question now if anyone can help.

Alpine Action have now replied to my complaint via The Snow Co however they have done so unsatisfactorily.

I now want to lodge a claim in the County Court. Can I sue Alpine Action direct without having to involve The Snow Co in proceedings?]

Thanks in anticipation

Have you replied to say you think the respose in unsatisfactory, and clearly outlined what you are expecting them to do? I would suggest doing this first before filing it in court. What does any one else think?

I work for a travel agent and would expect my customer to do this first.

You should probably go back to the tour operator, ABTA always advises getting two responses before going to them for arbitration services. So i would have thought it would eventually look better in court, so it looks as if you are trying to come to an amicable resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a director of an agency dealing with UK accommodation and once had the pleasure of being taken to court (by someone who stayed at the property for the entire holiday complained only after they left and would only accept all their money back, no negotiation).

Although the judge acknowledged that the contract of hire existed between the owner of the accommodation and the guest, he didn't care and still ordered me to pay half the money back as the money had been paid to my company (even though the owners/lions share had been moved on).

So my advice is still to chase the person that you paid your money to.

I don't know how your agency works chrissy, but bear in mind that a travel agency displaying brochures on behalf of different tour operators would be slightly different to, say, a company like Country Cottages who have their own brochures in their own name and sell accommodation under that name, albeit the properties themselves do not belong to CC.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.