• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Information commisioner finds against Abbey

livelylad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Niklowe

That's quick, I only complained to the Information Commissioners Office yesterday about Abbey! LOL. 7 day Letter off first post monday then.

I want to know what the people at Barclaycard are thinking too!!!

I wonder if their grinning still?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

At long last :):):):):);)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Did not need my SAR to make a claim but still requested one, still not received it. Oh abbey you are going to suffer if I have anything to do with it. Great news, Just need the OFT to do their job now, sort out the crooks from the thieves.

Regards bish.

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

This is fantastic news. Its no wonder the Ladys at Abbey were so helpful.

A Lady by the name Louise Phoned me at work on friday to inform me she was going to prepare the statements that where on the system right away and those that are on microfiche will follow in a weeks time.

Well Abbey thought they had it all. I'm so pleased.

Great news! Just as well too, I've already filed against them for non-compliance on the assumption their argument was bull****, before I found out the ICO were investigating. They've just acknowledged it, so I'll expect the statements soon!

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Well done to everone who has worked so hard on getting this result. Barclaycard have been using the Microfiche argument for my partner's account. I think it's the right time for a little reminder!!!

Paul

Alliance & Leicester, £2944.66 settled in full, donation made!!!

Capitol One (Partner), £475.01 settled in full, donation made!!!

Great news indeed.

A couple of questions ..

1. (seconding pollyjohnson above) has anyone got a link to a quotable reference? (couldn't find anything on the IC site),

2. Has anyone any idea what implication this has for other banks (e.g Barclays) who also use "the microfiche argument"?

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Great news indeed.

A couple of questions ..

1. (seconding pollyjohnson above) has anyone got a link to a quotable reference? (couldn't find anything on the Information Commissioner site),

There is not as yet a report, the information published has arisen as a result of discussions which have taken place between the Information Commissioners Office and the CAG.

The Information Commissioners Office told the CAG about this matter last week i.e that a decision had been made in principle but Abbey were supplying further info.

Abbey themselves broke the story and it was agreed that the CAG could inform its member of the situation.

It is my understanding that the Information Commissioners Office will be writing to all those who have complained informing them officially in the next 7 - 10 days.

2. Has anyone any idea what implication this has for other banks (e.g Barclay's) who also use "the microfiche argument"?

It is my understanding that one of the issues which has changed the ICOs view from one where manual filing systems would not normally be a relevant filing system to one where they would not automatically be excluded from being a relevant filing system, is the fact that Abbeys systems are in daily use.

As to what this may mean for other organisations well thats difficult to say, it is of course entirely feasible that if Barclaycard are using their system on a daily basis then it will be relevant.

I should add that its more than likely that Abbey will endeavour to test this interpretation in court at a suitable opportunity.

It is also worth pointing out that Abbey have told the Information Commissioners Office that although they did not agree their system was relevant and that they would have provided peoples statements for a single £10 fee.

The ICOs office is interested to find out if Abbey were in fact providing this information, since my view is that the information was being provided but only on an as and when basis, this is what I told them.

I cannot say what would have been a reasonable time for them to supply the data, but it wouldn't seem unreasonable to expect them to provide it within a similar time frame to that for a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) request.

If people have been waiting longer than this kind of time frame I would suggest you write to Abbey asking them politely for it and see what response you get.

If you still don't get it or get a refusal then you can write directly to the Information Commissioners Office or you can drop me a pm and Ill forward to the relevant person.

If you do decide to PM me then you need to give me the date you sent the original request, the date of any follow up letters and confirm any responses from the Abbey. PLEASE DON'T BOTHER TELLING ME IF YOU HAVEN'T SENT A S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) OR THE 40 DAYS HASN'T EXPIRED NEITHER I NOR THE Information Commissioners Office IS INTERESTED UNLESS A S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) HAS BEEN SENT AND THE 40 DAYS HAS EXPIRED.

If there are loads of you then Ill revise this idea.

It follows that anyone who submits a S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) post the decision will either get their data within the 40 days or Abbey will refuse to comply and will ultimately try to get case law on the status of their systems.

Hope that helps

Glenn

Edited following BWs questions.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Credit to Glenn - the amount of work that he put in to influence the Data Commissioner's decision was superb

Many thanks on behalf of us all - specially me who now understands the attitude and actions of Abbey staff last week

Brilliant

Still can't find a link, can anyone point me in the right direction

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

Still can't find a link, can anyone point me in the right direction

Mike

A Link to what?

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

I cannot say what is a reasonable time, Abbey do not have an obligation to provide data that falls outside the Data Protection Act within 40 days, but it wouldn't seem unreasonable to expect them to provide it within a similar time frame.

If people have been waiting longer than this kind of time frame I would suggest you write to Abbey asking them politely for it and see what response you get.

If you still don't get it or get a refusal then you can write directly to the Information Commissioners Office or you can drop me a pm and Ill forward to the relevant person.

But surely, the ICO says that it DOES fall within the DPA? Therefore, the 40 days DOES apply, and this is what Bankfodder says:

If you have been waiting longer than 40 days for disclosure or have been refused, send a 7 day Letter before action to Abbey requiring immediate disclosure failing which you will go to court without any further notice.

Which I must say, "asking nicely" after being given the run-around for so long, would not be my first thought. ;-)

BW

I guess there are a couple of things that make life difficult for us, 1st the Abbey have historically told the ICO that they are providing Data although they didn't believe they had to.

If you have submitted a SAR where the 40 days has expired and Abbey haven't provided the data either within the timeframe or afterwards and you have followed it up they would like to know.

If you submit a SAR now and the 40 days expires then you have the usual routes to follow.

I was trying to make the point, perhaps not clearly, that between submitting SARs and the decision, a lot of people have not had data despite Abbey telling the ICO it was supplying that data.

The ICO would be interested and members can send the ICO a complaint which will end up in the stack with the rest or the CAG can compile a list of members and hopefully get them dealt with en masse by the contacts we have.

I will go back and review what I have written previously to see if I can make it clearer.

I understand your first thought, I guess an individuals interpretation of what 'nicely' means could vary a lot, I suppose its a turn of phrase rather than an intent to stop people being positive and asking for their data in any legal fashion they think fit.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Great news - well done all!

Hopefully this will apply to Barclaycard too, and at least seems to set a precedent.

Do we know if the Information Commissioners visit to Barclaycard is still going ahead as planned?

Morris v Halifax

Data Protection Act letter sent 20/6

Charge deducted from account 27/6

6 yrs statements received 25/8

Prelim sent 30/8 (£1014 charges + £156.11 interest).

Std reply & complaints leaflet received 5/9

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

No reply to LBA - MCOL requested 26/9

Offer received 26/9 - £218.

MCOL issued 26/9, acknowledged 29/9

Offer 29/9 - full amount ex. o/draft interest

Accepted as partial

Credited to account 12/10

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Prelim letter sent 31/8 (£60 charges + interest).

Standard reply 9/9

Offer 12/9 - full amount!! :smile:

Morris 2 v Barclaycard (Mrsbass!):

Data Protection Act letter sent 7/9

Standard reply received 19/9 inc statements 5/04 to date and microfiche bilge.

Prelim 20/9 £100+interest actual, +same estimated.

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6443 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks