Joint account question

Lenticular Cloud
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, just getting to stage of sending initial letter to Natwest re ~£2K charges over last six years. Account concerned was opened by me in 1981, then made a joint account with my wife in 1996-ish.

Two questions:

Does anybody know if action needs to be launched by both of us as named parties, or can I do it singly?

Secondly, wife still has her own personal account ( :confused: hmmmmm....) at a different branch of Natwest. If Natwest get arsey and close joint account, would they have any legal basis to do same to my wife's account if she were a signatory to the action on the joint account?

If anybody has any knowledge of either of these issues, I would appreciate it!

Cheers

LC

Hi, my case was similar to yours but with HSBC not Nat West. My hubby claimed (well I did the work!) on his sole account & then I claimed on our joint account, & they haven't closed either account. I think if we made a further claim to either account then they would close it.

It may be worth 'posting' the query in the Nat West forum so you can get some advice from those 'in the know' specifically about Nat West.

Villafan

At long as you are both signatories on the account either one of you can do the claim.

They cannot close other accounts because of this claim, and I dont think Natwest have closed accounts yet, but as Villafan (I supose someone has to support them..lol ) says start a thread in the Natwest section for a better response

Sorry to be awkward (just guessing the banks will be).

Unless the account is a joint account repayable to either (either of you can sign) then, either of you can put the claim in.

If the account requires both your signatures, then I'm afraid that either your wife will have to sign a letter enabling you to deal with the matter, or you will have to both sign all documentation and make a joint claim.

As for closing both your accounts, they shouldn't be closing any of them , but that's only according to the FOS, FSA etc.

Do ye think the banks will take a blind bit of notice?

It might be worth including the FOS position on this in your prelim letter, in case they even attempt to threaten you with it...................

Good Luck

Bally