Advice Please Regarding Deposit.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a sneaking suspicion that, like many landlords, she has not ringfenced your deposit, and may have already spent it. If she is in financial difficulties, and has spent your deposit, then it is another 'debt' that she needs to repay, and may explain her somewhat erratic (read: crazy) behaviour.

Don't let the complaint to the police about her son slide. If only you had pressed the record function on your mobile...

And, er, if you don't post today, we'll send round the paramedics ;)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hi Demon,

Well I am just up from work and still alive :wink: so no paramedics needed yet.

The son told me he is going to phone me tonight so I wasnt planning on speaking to him but I could record the conversation as no doubt he will threaten me again.

Think I should take the call or just ignore it?

I would take the call and record it. It will help your police complaint. Keep a written log of all intrusions and phonecalls.

Agreed. And as it's being recorded: have in your head precisely what you're going to say, as clearly and calmly as possible. It may help to have it written down in front of you. Stay cool and if he starts to rant, let him but don't get involved in it. It's all grist to the mill; if you stay calm while he threatens and intimidates you in order to try and make you leave, you've got a sneaky ace up your sleeve.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I like how she came into your room screaming "look what you've done to me!"

It's crazy - she knows she's completely in the wrong and most probably spent your deposit but refuses to take responsibility and blames you for it.

You're a bit unlucky - I had similar whilst I was a student. The landlord hadn't fixed anything , no gas safety cert (major gas leak) no fire alarm system in a 10 bed property. So I stopped paying rent. He then tried everything - forcibly remove me, get his sons to remove me. Unfortunately for him, he was a dentist and got v worried when I pointed out that he may criminal charges pressed for his actions (if carried out) which may result in him losing his ability to practice dentistry. Ended up with threats of court and a contract with a forged signature.......

Its how you use the situation to your advantage - def take the call and record it, if anything happens then it will track back to the landlord as well. If you get a recording then it may be worth rpessing for compensation as this truely is harrassment.

Well I managed to speak to her other son that is actually a decent chap.

He said he didnt want any stress and was acting on behalf of his mother (my landlady).

I am moving out tomorrow of my own free will as I have sorted somewhere else to stay (the parents :D)

He is going to do a handover with me tomorrow evening and has said that there is a chance that the deposit may be returned and if not it would be dealt with properly ie. receipts etc.

So we shall see tomorrow evening what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Alrite chaps thought I should show some respect and let you kind folk that advised me know of the outcome.

I left her £70 of the deposit to buy wallpaper and a new headboard. She said that wasnt enough and I told her that if she wanted she could take me to court for the rest but I would be making a phone call to the Inland revenue with regards to her not declaring my money and also to the council who had been giving her single persons discount on council tax.

Nothing more was said, however, she had to do one more bizarre thing.

I left the room emmaculate and put 5 bags of rubbish ie. paper and old clothes that I didnt want to take with me in the bin shed to go out the next day.

I then had a phone call a couple of days later telling me that when my parents came home from work there were 5 bags or rubbish on their doorstep with a note saying I had left these behind. :roll:

Oh well.

Thanks for the advice folks and hopefully when I get my refund from the banks I can donate some money to this grand site.

Cheers. :)

Well done - and congrats for getting out without your bunny being boiled!

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.