Fixed Penalty Notice

davie bhoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5091 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

More like 20 minutes or more on a motorway; more if it is jammed and you want to inform your next appointment that you are going to be late,

So what? If you can afford a car and a mobile phone you can afford the £5 for the hands-free kit, which immensely reduces the risk - especially if you get a phone with bluetooth and voice-activated dialling (an awful lot of them these days). It drives me NUTS to see people who have £35,000 cars (which could buy some people a HOUSE) who can't be bothered to spend the extra couple of quid for a hands-free.

**bear in mind you could still be prosecuted if your driving is poor while using a hands-free kit**

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as a mother it really angers me when people think its ok to drive around only half concentrating and talking on their phones. :mad:

And as a father it galls me to see mothers (and fathers) driving and remonstrating with their kids by either turning round or spending most of the journey looking in the rear-view mirror, not at the traffic berhind, but at the rear-seat passengers. You'll have to remind me what the difference is.

...or smoking in a car, especially one with children in it. Is smoking whilst driving really any safer than talking on the phone? What happens if you drop your cigarette and then have to divert attention from the road to find it before it sets fire to the carpet?

And as a father it galls me to see mothers (and fathers) driving and remonstrating with their kids by either turning round or spending most of the journey looking in the rear-view mirror, not at the traffic berhind, but at the rear-seat passengers. You'll have to remind me what the difference is.

Me too but how is that relevant to the current discussion? Are you implying that ALL parents do this? If so I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken.

Hi all - see this thread has moved on a bit - an update re my Parking Ticket - I have to tell you that it has been cancelled.!

On closer inspection I noted that it was issued some 17 seconds after deadline - now - how long does it take to print out a ticket? Does the 'warden' have to enter all details in longing anticipation and bated breath and then hit that send/print button soon as !? and - if your prospective victim is hollering at you whilst hot-footing it to the vehicle, are you ,the warden, in full knowledge that said vehicle is about to be moved !! Or, is it simply that they have taken pity on me for being in court at that time and losing!! I was actually in court (Lloyds TSB) and could not fill the meter, and the notice is removed on that basis, however, I also suspect that 17 seconds might play their part! whichever - this has cheered me up no end and saved me £90 !!!! (which I can now use to pay the other bl***y ticket! )

Slightly off topic but just to clarify the new law for mobile phones and driving....

RoSPA : Road Safety : Advice : Driving : The New Mobile Phone Law

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

just to be clear, i have 2 children. and i NEVER turn round, look for something dropped in the car, take my eyes off the road while driving. my 4 yr old knows i cannot look at her when driving, and knows that conversation is minimal as i am concentrating. its more fun to sing and have fun in the car, but i thinkmore of my kids lives then to risk loosing concentration for a minute. i know the list is endless, but if your looking for a malteser on the floor while driving you should be prosecuted too. imo.

as for talking on phone to inform someone u will be late i take your point, if that was the reason my kids were in a crash id forgive u totally :confused:

if that was the reason my kids were in a crash id forgive u totally :???:

LMAO - gotta love that sarcasm. Quite right though; there is absolutely no excuse for holding a mobile phone to your head while you are piloting 3/4 of a ton of metal at high speed. NONE. Use a hands free kit and maintain concentration on your driving AS WELL, or simply switch off your phone when you set off and explain when you get there. I'm sure they'd rather you attended the meeting (a) alive and (b) having not killed anyone in the process of getting there.

So what? If you can afford a car and a mobile phone you can afford the £5 for the hands-free kit, which immensely reduces the risk - especially if you get a phone with bluetooth and voice-activated dialling (an awful lot of them these days). It drives me NUTS to see people who have £35,000 cars (which could buy some people a HOUSE) who can't be bothered to spend the extra couple of quid for a hands-free.

**bear in mind you could still be prosecuted if your driving is poor while using a hands-free kit**

I hope that this was a general post rather than aimed at me. I have a fully integrated car kit for hands free operation with voice control.

I was merely pointing out the nonsensical nature of the "1-2 minutes" from the previous poster.

I am writing in regards to overwriting in regards to penalty notices, I am doing some research now as to the significance of overturning a fcn due to overwiting. does anyone have any relevant info which may be useful?

• 2 years later...

hi there i would very much like some help with this matter.

Today at 7:15am i left for work on my motorcycle but noticed my rear L plate had fallen off, i couldn't find anything to attach it with so i rode to work with it in my saddlebags... so that i could attach it after work, now as i arrived in my work car park i was pulled over i explained to the officer it had recently fallen off and that i had it with me but didnt have anything to fix it on with i also stated that i kept spare as i do, but again had nothing to fix it on with......

He gave me a FPN of £60 and three points on my CLEAN license that i have held for 5-6 years and kept clean i am very annoyed and feel that such a response is over the top and clearly un fair do i have a case or should i just cough up?? at this early in the morning there was nowhere in which i could purchase anything to attach the plate.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

hi there i would very much like some help with this matter.

Today at 7:15am i left for work on my motorcycle but noticed my rear L plate had fallen off, i couldn't find anything to attach it with so i rode to work with it in my saddlebags... so that i could attach it after work, now as i arrived in my work car park i was pulled over i explained to the officer it had recently fallen off and that i had it with me but didnt have anything to fix it on with i also stated that i kept spare as i do, but again had nothing to fix it on with......

He gave me a FPN of £60 and three points on my CLEAN license that i have held for 5-6 years and kept clean i am very annoyed and feel that such a response is over the top and clearly un fair do i have a case or should i just cough up?? at this early in the morning there was nowhere in which i could purchase anything to attach the plate.......:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

For some reason, you have decided to re-open a thread that is more than 2 years old in order to hijack it - would it not have been simpler to start your own thread?

Anyway, I don't think you have any grounds to get this overturned. You were caught red-handed without the necessary L plate displayed.

You say that you noticed when you left for work; why could you not go back into the house to get the means to re-attach the L plate before you left?

Telling/showing the PC that you even carried a spare was shooting yourself in the foot if you didn't also carry the means to attach it.

• 5 months later...

Hi I have one for you. I got pulled over today for a Number plate not being correct spaces. whilst being questioned the controller came back that my MoT had expired. My stupid fault thought it was due on 13th and already had it booked in. I recieved a FPN for MoT and one for Number plate totaling £120. My question is due to the number plate being a MoT failure and the fact that I was getting a ticket for the mot should I have recieved a second one for the Number plate? I know I need a new tire for mot and that is getting fitted tomoz so could I have recieved a 3rd one if they had spotted this?I am thinking of appealing the Number plate one on these grounds but paying the MoT one as this was my error what do you's think?

Both offences were correct - whether one would cause the falure of another is irrelevant (as when you DID take the car for its MoT, you would have obviously replaced the illegal plate with a compliant one, not presented it to the tester where it would be an automatic fail.

As for the 3rd possible ticket - yes, if truth be told, they could have gone round the vehicle and established a shopping list of transgressions, but they're not usually that vindictive, finding a couple of the obvious ones is normally enought to confirm to them they're doing a useful job!

• 2 weeks later...

Help please

drove down thorugh a local small town I had been doing so for 30 years a police officer stopped me and said it was no entry to traffic . It had changed 3 months ago . She said she was giving me £30 fixed penalty notice . I asked to see sign saw it never seen before i said thought a warning would be sufficient asked her for her id she said she was i uniform and dint have to show it . I said anyone could wear an outfit she then said said I was being abusive I said in what way she then threatened me with a "caution twice " I asked what for she wouldnt reply . She asked me for id I hadnt got any she asked for my name I said Ill give it you if you tell me why you said i was abusive and why you threatened me with a caution . She didnt answer I said I wanted to make a complaint about her and despite keeping me waiting for ages wouldnt give me the ticket . She asked me to sign the fixerd penalty ticket I did . I asked if was offence not to give name she said no . So i drove to police staion and wanted to make a complaint . Kept waiting 90 minutes no one to see me a so I went home waiting for a call duty officer told me he wouldnt accept the complaint and put phone down on me and told me to pay the £30 fine . I called back he put phone down again .

Got a letter from police asking who was driver I wrote back giving my details expecting the fixed penalty notice for £30 didnt get anything but summons to magistrates court .

Summons is for wrong date , pc has not put all info down on her statement , I cant plead guilty to an offence on a day I wasnt there !!!!!! So have pleaded not guilty and am going to court though worried about it

Any advice or comments please guess i should have just took fixed penalty notice and paid now could be worse but pc was just so arrogant rude and wouldnt answer my genuine concerns about the way it was done

Regards Gaz

Hi Folks,

Received an FPN on 24Dec2009 for public disorder. Officer did not ID me and wrote the date of issue as 24Dec2007 but offence date has 24Dec2009. Also, the signature box for 'I acknowledge receipt of this Penalty Notice' was not signed by me as the officer forgot to make me sign it. The supervisor's warrant number is entered but does not have a signature in the space provided.

My name, DOB and contact details are valid on the form.

The officer has since left a message on my phone asking me to call her back regarding the offence. She didn't mention the errors though.

Tried to find out if the FPN had been registered by phoning the constabulary contact number but the person responsible is not at her desk.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Question-is this FPN valid and enforceable?

Regards.

• 2 months later...

Can I get out of paying he FPN and receiving points? I was issued with a FPN on the 5th March, and I have 7 days to take my license to the police station I designated. The offense was '165: Contravening the solid centre white line'.

My issue is that the officer wrote down the description of my motorbike but did NOT write my registration number into the space provided or anywhere else.

I also did NOT sign the FPN and the officer put in the signature space "Declined"

Do I have grounds not to pay?

Thanks, Tim

• 1 month later...

There's nothing to contest! The FPN may well belong to someone else, and some scamp has transferred it to your vehicle. If it is a typo, then there's no issue - you are not the driver of the vehicle named, so no problem there either.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got a fixed penalty notice for parking in a disabled space but before I get totally slagged off it was one of 6 spaces - all disabled - outside a charity shop into which I was dropping off some donated goods. I didn't even lock my car because I popped in with the bags and when I came out the ticket warden was there with the ticket. On the notice it said car observed from 13.47 to 13.47. I have challenged it for this reason but they just said its a contravention and pay up but I feel that the warden could have just said to me (she must have seen me get the bags out the boot and go in the shop) and the fact that there is nowhere for non-disabled people to park when just dropping off charity goods is a bit discriminatory anyway. Any thoughts please?