Security - landlord's responsibility?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Daughter is away at Uni and rents a shared house from a private landlord.

There was a break in yesterday, with laptops, a bike and a PS2 being stolen before the thieves realised there was actually someone in the house and scarpered :o

They called the landlord, who was at great pains to say she wasn't responsible for the tenant's belongings (fair enough).

However - the back alley gate (point of entry) had been reported as hanging off its hinges as far back as September, but nothing had been done, and the back door (which was kicked in by the burglars) was, according to the attending Police Officer, not even an external door!!

I feel quite strongly that the visible lack of security might have encouraged the thieves. Is the landlord in any way responsible?

I have claimed on my own household insurance for the losses btw, but feel rather aggrieved at having to do so.

I'd write rather strongly to the landlord trying to get these measures improved as if theives have found a soft target they will probably be back after they believe the goods will have been replaced. A friend of mine whilst at uni got burgled 3 times in a year due to poor security.

Write along the lines of you have been informed before about lack of security (gate) now informing you about door, if these items aren't fixed to a satisfactory standard and there is another break in we will be seeking damages for loss and distress from landlord.