• Tweets

• Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Spreadsheet with interest

bram stoker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have filled out the spreadsheet as per instructions and nothing appears to be happening! I've read thru and now i understand what to do when charged interest whilst in credit, but i can't get the spreadsheet to do anything. When i look at the 8% page it simply has #value where the 8% should be.

Have i erased something? Please be nice as first time i've ever filled a spreadsheet in.

Thanks

Sugar:p

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I have filled out the spreadsheet as per instructions and nothing appears to be happening! I've read thru and now i understand what to do when charged interest whilst in credit, but i can't get the spreadsheet to do anything. When i look at the 8% page it simply has #value where the 8% should be.

Have i erased something? Please be nice as first time i've ever filled a spreadsheet in.

Thanks

Hi Sugar, How have you entered your data - did you enter it into the second sheet only (don't enter anything into the third sheet - it gets filled in automatically)? On the leftside enter your charges (in date order), filling in all the blue boxes for each charge. When you've done this, go back to the first statement again and pick out the interest debited and enter this into the righthand side blue boxes - again, fill out each blue box in the row with the relevant information (see earlier in this thread for a full explanation of what to put in and where to get it from). This should give you the correct info on the third sheet. If it doesn't, then I suggest starting afresh with a new copy of the spreadsheet, as you may have overwritten or deleted stuff from the yellow columns.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

hello wifeandi

Thanks for the advice, i did only fill in the second sheet as instructed and the 8% sheet didn't work. Think i will have to fill it in again... bummer as go to line 99. Oh well, it will be worth it i feel.

This site is great, for years i have felt a huge disappointment with my bank as being a single mum and a student meant life was often tough enough, without crazy charges which always seemed to come when already down. i now have the tools to strike back and regain my life.

Good for you! This site is empowering - feels good, doesn't it! :p

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Oh, it certainly does! It makes you sick when you think that the majority of the time I was stressed to the eyeballs because things got out of control due to the banks charges. Or when the family tax credit people got it wrong. Really wrong. That reminds me, think i will chase them for compensation... be good if anyone knows anything about this. I know it's a bit off the mark from this thread, but a lot of my troubles came from them. And now i'm feeling strong enough to take the world on!

I've worked out what the problem is!!! When I originally entered my data on the spreadsheet I entered the date as e.g.12.04.2001 BUT the formula doesn't recognise this. It needs to be in 12/04/2001 format. It now works!!!!

(It's only taken 2 days to work this out!!!!)

Sorry, I must be dense. I've read this thread three times, but I still manage to get interest of £8.37 on my penalites, when the whole interest on a 4700 overdrawn balance is £34?

17/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,088.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3719/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,108.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3724/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,128.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3727/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,148.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.6602/05/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,168.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.6603/05/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,188.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.66

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Sorry, I must be dense. I've read this thread three times, but I still manage to get interest of £8.37 on my penalites, when the whole interest on a 4700 overdrawn balance is £34?

17/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,088.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3719/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,108.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3724/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,128.0027/04/200134.32-4,706.988.3727/04/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,148.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.6602/05/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,168.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.6603/05/2001Excess O/D Charge£20.001,188.0029/05/200130.65-4,376.148.66

The amount of interest due charges will depend on the proportion of the overdrawn balance that is due to the charges at any time. I'd need to see the whole spreadsheet to be able to get a real idea of how it is made up.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Ok I am completely baffled now. With credit cards I need to be able to use the card companies monthly interest rate and apply it to any charges made in that month. The spreadsheet doesnt seem to allow using a monthly interest rate.

Where Banks are concerned surely we only need to charge compound interest based on their monthly unauthorised overdraft interest rate ?

I'm no expert on spread sheets but it seems to me that if a charge was made on 30/2/2004 then interest is calculable from then until now.

Afraid my brain is starting to get too old and frazzled to start trying to work out interest owed over a 6 year period when multiple charges have been made. I can't for the life of me understand why the account balance is needed on a monthly basis when we are really only interested in interest they owe us on charges made against us.

Alliance & leicester:Settled 8/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester-successes/19700-tamadus-l.html?highlight=tamadus

Capital One:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/16644-tamadus-capital-one.html?highlight=tamadus

MBNA 2 accounts:Settled 22/9/06 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/13831-tamadus-mbna-i.html?highlight=tamadus

Smile:Settled 15/11/06

Egg Card:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 2/10/06

GE Money:S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent3/8/06 LBA sent 26/9/06

Abbey:ERC prelim sent 14/9/06. LBA sent 2/10/06. Now it's getting interesting so keep watching

Barclaycard:In criminal default watch this space

Lloyds TSB:In criminal default watch this space

If my comments have been useful please click the scales and let me know.

I think that the spreadsheet gives you a way of figuring out the interest from the overall interest and the chharges you've paid.

You could also, (I think) take the interest rate you're charged, and multiply it by the amount of your charge for the duration of it.

£30 x 2.5 years x APR. For each charge. Thing is, I can't seem to find out my APR, so the spreadsheet should solve it for me.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest

Ok I am completely baffled now. With credit cards I need to be able to use the card companies monthly interest rate and apply it to any charges made in that month. The spreadsheet doesnt seem to allow using a monthly interest rate.

This is an area that I'm not certain about - one for Vamp I think...

Where Banks are concerned surely we only need to charge compound interest based on their monthly unauthorised overdraft interest rate ?

I'm no expert on spread sheets but it seems to me that if a charge was made on 30/2/2004 then interest is calculable from then until now.

But only on the proportion of the interest that was due to charges. For bank accounts it is clear cut, but a credit card is effectively 'all overdraft', and much of the interest is 'legitimate' (although far too high). Also there are usually at least two rates applied to most accounts (purchase and cash/cheque withdrawals).

Afraid my brain is starting to get too old and frazzled to start trying to work out interest owed over a 6 year period when multiple charges have been made. I can't for the life of me understand why the account balance is needed on a monthly basis when we are really only interested in interest they owe us on charges made against us.

The reason for having the account balance is that the way the the sheet calculates how much is down to charges is by looking at the total balance owing and working out the proportion of the balance that is due to the accumulated charges up to that date and working out that proportion of the interest.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

You don't need to worry about interest rates at all. Use the spreadsheet as normal. You will probably find that only a small amount of the interest relates to the charges.

The rules still apply where, if you are charged interest on a £200 bill, and £100 of that is made up of penalties that should never have been applied, then they owe you half the interest back.

[

Thanks Jeep.

Ive done 6 months worth and basically all the interest charges are down to the penalties.

Only 40 pages to do :eek:

Rob

UPDATE :

Finished filling in spreadsheet. The interest on charges only comes to £27.

I think this is because im only claiming for the last 17 months to keep my claim under £5000.

So,

Charges = £4500 Interest on charges = £27 Total = £4527

Does this look ok ?

intph.jpg

Thanks

UPDATE :

Finished filling in spreadsheet. The interest on charges only comes to £27.

I think this is because im only claiming for the last 17 months to keep my claim under £5000.

So,

Charges = £4500 Interest on charges = £27 Total = £4527

Does this look ok ?

Thanks

It seems low, but if that's all they charged you, then that's all they charged you. At least you can claim all of it and not just a part of it.

[

Vampiress : I put estimated figure of previous charges in brown box (£3000), nothing changed in the total amount.

Does estimated figure have be done 1st?

thanks

rob

Vampiress : I put estimated figure of previous charges in brown box (£3000), nothing changed in the total amount.

Does estimated figure have be done 1st?

thanks

rob

It makes no difference. It would only affect the proportion of interest that relates to penalty charges. Your circumstances show that ALL the interest relates to penalties, so you are claiming all the interest. There's no more to claim.

Good luck Rob.

Vamp.

[

Hello Vampiress,

I have been through all of this thread and solved my problem with what I should enter in the column INTEREST ON PENALTIES (I was incorrectly entering the interest RATE rather than the interest £value for that month).

However, I have read in this thread that for multiple charges in the same month I should leave the right hand side blank until the last charge in that month - is this true?

Rob

Onanblues - No.

See the notes within the spreadsheet. Just list the interest on the right-hand side. It doesn't matter if the dates do not align with the left-hand side.

Sorry, I must have missed that comment as I've been away from here for a while. Thanks.

[

Due to a lot of queries regarding interest I have designed an Excel template that attempts to calculate a fair claim. It will not give a precise figure, but comes very close and shows the courts you have made an attempt. More notes are within the template itself.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=182. I also have versions of both spreadsheets available to use in Microsoft Works. Please email [email protected] for the Works versions.

Please ask in this thread if you have any problems with it, and either myself, or anyone else will try to help you.

This spreadsheet is freely given to help you. Please consider a donation to the site if you decide to use it so that we may continue to help you.

:)

I have used your spreadsheet for calculation of penalty charges and interest but have noticed when I deleted the unnecessary rows of cells up to row 777 so as not to print them it altered the total of my interest on penalties figure?

In answer to your question my understanding is as follows:

1. Is correct, however you do not need to send list of charges just total refund amount.

2. Is correct sent list of charges if you want to, but also not necessary.

3. Court claim - This is where you need to ADD the 8% interest. I would advise you thoroughly do your homework and join the buddy system, as you can then bounce suggestions, queries and idea off each other.

GOOD LUCK

Lloyds TSB: Settled after FO assistance

Co-operative Bank: Settled - Goodwill gesture:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks