Libbi V Natwest - help really needed

Libbi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently trying to start claiming back from Natwest but have hit a brick wall before I have even got a copy of my charges.

I used to have two accounts with Natwest - a current and a credit card.

I have recently sent two letters for each account requesting a fully comprehensive list of my charges. Both were standard letters used for asking for the list.

The current account letter included my account number and I enclosed the cheque for £10.

I do not have the account number for this one so I sent the letter explaining this, including my past addresses for the last six years, passwords and mothers maiden name.

10 days later I have received a response from Natwest stating they cannot provide the information as:

"From the information provided, it is not possible to trace the account(s) requested. Natwest uses only numeric code for the identification of accounts and without a valid account number and sort code we are unable to loacte a closed or open account. Please let us know your sort code or branch name and the account number and the dates when your account was opened and closed"

I have called Natwest to discuss this but as there was no number on the letter I have found it very difficult to speak to the correct person and from the help I have got so far I may as well not bother because nobody knows who I need to speak to and I am left on hold whilst they search only to tell me they don't know.

Also whilst speaking to a lady there, she refused to give me her full name - is that not against FSA regulations?

Anyway I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

Please can anybody advise what I need to do next, I feel like I've lost before I've even started!

Thanks

Libbi

I won £5289 heres how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-bank/40703-saint-luco-natwest.html

ITS NOT WHETHER YOU WON OR LOST, BUT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME THAT MATTERS. ( OBVIOUSLY A LOSER THEN):D :D :D

Hi Libbi -

whatever you do don't take no for an answer!! You are the customer, you are in the driving seat, it is your information. Do you have any bank statments during this period from other banks that you transferred money to or anything - that way you would have a record of the actual account number. What about direct debits from utility companies - is there any bank account information on your old bills?

Anyway, I'm sure someone will post here a better person to call at NatWest... perhaps natweststaffmember can help?

But whatever you do don't give up!! Hang in there!

Is it the credit card that you say you don't have any account information? Do you have any receipts that may have the credit card number on it, any transaction records that you can find...??

Thanks for the link Saint - luco, I'll have a read through it during my lunch.

Hi wehavetheright - I've searched high and low for any details but as I was quite young at the time I was careless and threw all my details away.

My credit card was destroyed by my brother who was helping me curb my spending habit so I don't have that either.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm determind to win this one - just need to get it started first.

• Haha 1

And unfortunately I didn't keep the broken peices of the card. Have you rung the branch yet? :D

Prelim letter sent - 29/12/06

'Go away' letter recieved 05/01/07

LBA (7 day to sort it) letter sent - 05/01/07

'Will look in to' received - 10/01/07

Claim submitted - 16/01/07

Date of hearing set for 21/05/07

Offer of charges plus costs rejected - 17/04/07

Offer of charges,interest,costs accepted - 25/04/07

Hi, I've just sent you an email but I'm going to post pp on here aswell incase anyone can help.

I've called my branch and spoke to a really nice woman who advised me the reason she can't find the details of my credit card account is because although I had a Natwest credit card, it was actually through Visa, so she gave me a number for them.

I have now called them and again I am just being told they cannot find my details as my account has been closed for three years and they don't keep records.

I've argued my case with them but am back at square one again!!!

All they could advise is that I write into them again, which is what I did in the first place.

A colleague at work has advised me to go to the financial ombudsman.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to do next?

...I am just being told they cannot find my details as my account has been closed for three years and they don't keep records...

Does anybody have any ideas of what to do next?

That's complete tosh, Libbi; they may archive the records but they certainly don't "not keep them".

My next move would be to send them an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) asking for all the details they hold about you.

I'm sure other more experienced members (i.e. Nattie ;) ) may have other alternatives for you. Don't give up on this; you'll get the info you require, don't worry.

Hope this helps.

OB :)

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

If I'm right, the Data protection Act outlines that if it is not necessary for the data controller (visa, Natwest) to keep information about you then they can destroy it. However I've been informed that it is meant to be kept for a min of 5 years.

They have got your details they just can't be bothered lookig for them. Call them again, ask for the name of the person you are speaking to and inform them if they will not assist you then you will take the matter to the Financial Ombusdman.

They are just being Lazy. All you need is the name and address of the person that can deal with this and the information they need to respond satisfactorily.

What is the number you rang for VISA. I'll call them and get the details of where you can write to. :-x :-x

If I'm right, the Data protection Act outlines that if it is not necessary for the data controller (visa, NatWest) to keep information about you then they can destroy it. However I've been informed that it is meant to be kept for a min of 5 years.

Hi Richard,

Not sure about the minimum rule, (I didn't want to read the whole Act), but the 5th principle of the Act states:

"5. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes."

I'd be grateful if one of the more knowledgeable seniors could give us a bit more info on this, as this could affect a possible future claim of mine. Is there a minimum?

Apologies to Libbi is she feels this is a hijack, but I'm sure she would love to know, too.

OB :)

Please read the Stickies and FAQs. Your question may have been answered already.

Old Bear vs. NatWest - won after first letter £600

Mrs Bear vs. Studio - won after first letter £360

Old Bear vs. Abbey - won after first letter - only £50, but it's the principle

Old Bear vs. Black Horse - £117 of charges wiped off 2 loans, but more WILL follow

Mrs Bear vs. Index (Littlewoods) - SAR sent - 2/2/2007

thanks old bear. I'm trying not to get frustrated and it really helps with everyone's encouragement. I'm going to go in search on Nattie :)

Richard, the number is 0870 333 9091 and also when you are next coming up home?

I'll ring them up now. Will be visiting sometime in the summer I think. Nothing planned yet though.

on phone now and they're quaking. passing me around. A lot of "uhhmms" and "Arghhhs".

Spoke with Sean on that number who said he can't search for anything that was closed more than 3 months ago. He said it was lie about them not archiving records as they do keep them.

Write to :

Natwest Credit Card Operations

PO Box 5747

Southend - On - Sea

SS1 9AJ

- Send an SAR letter including all previous addresses and dates you lived there.

- DOB

- Signature

- Mothers maiden name

- £10 fee

To be really zealous you could go in to a Natest Branch with some ID and ask a member of staff to counter sign the letter with their contacts details, in order to verify your identity. (Its worth a try)

You could also try looking at your credit report with Experian. It may be the account is logged on there. I think they still do a one month free trial.

Log on now.

I'm going home now. Speak later.

DO i have to do all the work for you guys and add further training in for oldbear,lol,? Ok closed account, easy if the account was closed then providing it was open on October 4th 2002 then NatWest Archive is the way to go to get it, you only need the branch sort code where it was opened. Credit Card similar principal except with your account number they will have associated products which should give the NW Visa number or if you had paid it by DD then even better, for those that know easy as A B C.