General questions not answered in FAQ

JustJon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post so hello everybody. I am about to start my claim against First Direct and I have some questions that don't seem to be answered in the FAQ:

1) The "days to leave before next letter" specified in the step-by-step guide, are these working days or everyday days?

2) If I wanted to claim for a £35 charge, would I claim for £35, or £35 minus what it actually may of cost the bank eg £35 minus £1.50 for instance?

3) I've complained about a charge in the past (on the phone) and the bank has subsequently refunded 50% of it. Does this mean that I can no longer claim the other 50% because I have "agreed to it"?

4) If for some reason I get the calculations wrong about how much is owed to me and the case ends up going to court, does this mean I will loose by default?

5) I have quite a large sum of money (well it is to me) in a savings account with the same bank, I also have another savings account with their parent company (HSBC). Is this money safe or should I consider moving it?

Thanks a lot for reading this, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi,

This is my first post so hello everybody. I am about to start my claim against First Direct and I have some questions that don't seem to be answered in the FAQ:

1) The "days to leave before next letter" specified in the step-by-step guide, are these working days or everyday days?

2) If I wanted to claim for a £35 charge, would I claim for £35, or £35 minus what it actually may of cost the bank eg £35 minus £1.50 for instance?

3) I've complained about a charge in the past (on the phone) and the bank has subsequently refunded 50% of it. Does this mean that I can no longer claim the other 50% because I have "agreed to it"?

4) If for some reason I get the calculations wrong about how much is owed to me and the case ends up going to court, does this mean I will loose by default?

5) I have quite a large sum of money (well it is to me) in a savings account with the same bank, I also have another savings account with their parent company (HSBC). Is this money safe or should I consider moving it?

Thanks a lot for reading this, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

1) everyday days

2) £35 minus nothing

3) leave that charge out or claim half of it

4) its a possibility, do your research first

5) it should be fine if you are not claiming from these accounts... however anything is possible but they should give plenty of notice if they were to close them

3) claim the other half

4) yes, but unlikely as you will ask for help on here

5) advice here is to open an account with another bank.

Dam that was quick (you must of been waiting to respond :-) )

Thanks for your answers.

The reason I asked 3 and 4 is that there are lots of occasions where I have complained about charges and the bank has given 50% refunds (I would like to get the other 50% back if possible). Unfortunately this makes it a bit harder to identify what I've actually ended up being charged - Because I've had partial refunds one month for charges the previous month. I just wouldn't want to get to court for them to say "Well actually Sir we refunded half of that £30, so you can't have anything at all".

Hope you don't mind me hijacking a bit JustJon - you've raised something i havent considered.

RE point 4) Should you lose by default, can you simply launch another claim afterwards for the correct amounts?

Cheers

Mike

HSBC A/C - WON! - £1,575 Charges, Stat Interest and default removed before court!

HSBC CC - WON! - £1,025 Charges, and Stat Interest refunded

ARGOS - WON! - £250 Charges & Contractual Interest

CREATION WON! - £180 Charges & Contractual Interest

BARCLAYCARD- Court Date Set - 09/10/2007

EGG - SAR Sent 22/12/06, ID Sent 05/01/07. No progress yet.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking a bit JustJon - you've raised something i havent considered.

RE point 4) Should you lose by default, can you simply launch another claim afterwards for the correct amounts?

Cheers

Mike

Not at all, I'd like to know the answer as well.

Also, how inaccurate do you have to be to have it thrown out of court? (Not that I'm planning to make mistakes I'd just like to know)

If your claim is excessive, the court may adjust it down, but it will not adjust it up if you claim too little.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941