• Tweets

• Wrong as usual Jugg    Did Michael Cohen Commit Perjury In The Trump Trial? WWW.ZEROHEDGE.COM ZeroHedge - On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero Michael Cohen. He still has one day of cross examination ahead of him on Thursday. With the government resting after Cohen’s cross examination, I believe that an honest judge would have no alternative but to grant a motion for a directed verdict and end the case before it goes to the jury. Judge Juan Merchan will now have to give the full measure of his commitment to the rule of law. Given the failure to support the elements of any crime or even to establish the falsity of recording payments as legal expenses, this trial seemed to stumble through the motions of a trial. Michael Cohen was only the final proof of a raw political exercise. For critics, some of Cohen’s answers appear clearly false or misleading. Like their star witness, the prosecutors have shown that they simply do not take the law very seriously when there is an advantage to be taken.
    • So to sum up. 1.  You & your friend did the right thing on 28 December and are in the right legally. 2.  You are in the early stages of the threatening letter cycle.  We've seen these letters quite literally over 10,000 times.  For the moment your friend has nothing to worry about. 3.  No-one will turn up at your friend's door. 4.  If months down the line this got to court, you would win.  It's blatant disability discrimination.  Some time back I looked through the results of Excel v Caggers court cases, well we won 85% of the time, and you would be 100& certain to win. But this is the bit that you won't like ... 5.  Excel don't care that they are legally in the wrong.  They want your money.  They will go on and on with their letters hoping you'll give in. 6.  They are also the most litigious of the private parking companies and it's perfectly possible, months hence, that they will take your friend to court.  You have to be prepared for this.  They would lose.  But they don't care about the losses since, sadly, presumably so many people are afraid of court and so give in and pay.  7.  We will of course support you all the way!
    • Hi, Just updating that I'll be submitting the SJPN shortly this evening electronically.
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Log Book Loans took my car....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Applecart I agree with your intentions. However & I'm afraid it's a big 'however' I fundamentally disagree with the remark that some may not warrant such protection........... they do. There is no difference between a won't payer & a can't payer being bullied unlawfully & threatened by these cretins.

The moment it's decided, by you, me or anyone, there's a law for one but not the other will the day that anarchy will start to take hold

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jon

Totally agree...the law is there to protect us all - but I was speaking purely from the point of view that it must be accepted that there are those in society who truly have no intention of repaying loans - and it is also fair in a debate to consider both sides of a story ... i.e the experience of the lender facing a situation where he cannot secure any return on his investment.....there will be instances where the debtor has no reason for obsconding on his duty to repay a loan.....

I hope this explains my point more clearly - notwithstanding that the law is there to protect us all - but is not to be taken for granted - there are normally always another parties interests to be taken into account.

: )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Also many are concerned about the Bill of Sales' being registered 'out of time' the argument here is - why did it take lbl rep so long to get to a solicitor to swear the document? - he would have to prove that every solicitor of oaths across the land was closed from the date the Agreement was entered into until it was registered (date stamp) at the HIgh Court of Justice..: )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

Also many are concerned about the Bill of Sales' being registered 'out of time' the argument here is - why did it take lbl rep so long to get to a solicitor to swear the document? - he would have to prove that every solicitor of oaths across the land was closed from the date the Agreement was entered into until it was registered (date stamp) at the HIgh Court of Justice..: )

I think we ALL know the answer to that one......don't we;-)

It occurs to me to ask why would the salesman go all the way to Wimbledon to swear an affidavit when they lived & conducted business in say Newcastle or indeed anywhere else other than Wimbledon:confused:

Knowing Wimbledon as I do I doubt there are many clients of LBL there:D

Hi Jon

Could it be that their reputation is beginning to proceed them amongst most commissioners of oath?

You imagine....., you are a company involved in the business of credit - and you are minded that your licence is being considered for 'revocation' and you want a 'reputable' solicitor to risk his/her reputation for a Free service? or for a Fee that would never cover the cost of a hard earned reputation - I wouldn't, would you?

Must be something wrong, hey?

Hi Jon

Really?... they can run, but they can't hide..... A quick email to the Law Society would help ensure that wherever he goes - he will be more than well received, i'm sure.

Imagine the day when all who have agreements with them decide to protest and not one of them pays them for an entire month....or two.or three or more???

or

No solicitor in the land will stake their reputation by swearing an oath for a LBL Agreement....?

Would that be yet another company hit by the people crunch - whoops sorry..... I meant credit crunch?

Just a thought?

• 3 weeks later...

hi i bought a van 5 months ago. i now hold the v5 documents ect. came home on wednesday to find the van gone. there was a note through the door saying it has been reposesed. i called them up to find out whats going apprently the previous owner had a log book loan out on it and has dissaperd. what advice can anyone give me?

thanks

You are in the same postition as us, you will also find you have no legal right to the car. We can give you phone number for our contact at the daily mirror who ran our story in march. Read the thread are you a third party victim by wearecarless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope anyone can help, took a loan out with LBL, nearly finished the loan , they have put extra charges on me for late payments £12 for a phone call £12 for a letter which i think is over the top, i have recently become unemployed i have tried explaining this to them but they still want me paying £30 a week , is there anything i can do with these charges because they are building up to £600, i origanally borrowed £1200 and i payed a total back of £2500 thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi

I had my car taken by LBL in April..I had parked my car where i thought it was safe at work, when i came back my car was gone. So after checking the spot where i had parked it and the notices around it, i decided to go to the nearest police station to report its theft. After a short while the officer informed me that LBL had got my car and had left a number to call.

I had taken advice and had lawyers on the case, but the thing is once LBL have your car in most cases there is not much you can do. From what i understand there was supposed to be a test case going on, but it keeps getting put back...quite frankly it will be a long drawn out contest..while thousaunds of people are losing their cars...This company shoud have never been allowed to get away with this kind of dealing, and the law should be changed!!!:(

I had paid quite a lot of money...and realised it would have been impossible to get it back as they were asking for around £8000, they have since snet me a letter saying they sold it and i owed them £3500..lol

• 1 month later...

Hi All new to site, but wth current dealings with LBL and being connected with finance and its law, i found the following which may be relevant:

Log Book Loans

Investigation: Log Book Loans Contract identifier: UTCCRContract-1 Country of complaint: United Kingdom Country of origin: United Kingdom Trading sector group: Wandsworth Trading Standards Department Trading Sector: xxxxxxx Financial//Mortgages and secured credit --Financial//Mortgages and secured credit Action taken by: OFT Local Authority: Wandsworth Trading Standards Department Legislation used: Community Infringements Specified UK Laws//Unfair Contract Terms 1999 Regulation considered: Unfair Contract Term Notes: Notes

Original term Application of regulations/Enforcer view How changed New term Pre Contract Information, Charges: "If you are late in paying an instalment, then...you will pay us, if we so require, interest from when it was due until when it is paid at the rate of the APR"1(e) Penalty clause (financial) :

1(e) The term set the interest rate for late payments at the APR, so that it included not only the contractual interest rate but also a further amount in respect of the commitment fee. This was a potentially unfair penalty, particularly since Section 93 of the Consumer Credit Act provides that interest payable in default cannot be higher than the contractual interest rate.

Revised so that interest for late payments will be charged at the contractual rate.Pre Contract Information, ChargesBill of Sale, Term 2Unfair Contract Term :

Reg 5 Term required consumer to keep the vehicle insured for a specified amount. OFT considered that this would place an unreasonable obligation on the Buyer if the specified amount was excessive or even impossible to achieve.

Reference to amount of insurance cover deleted from term.Term 2Bill of Sale, Term 7Unfair Contract Term :

Reg 5 Term provided that if the Borrower defaulted on payments or breached his obligations, the Lender, its servants or agents could seize and take possession of the vehicle from any premises. OFT was concerned by the wide right of entry provided by this term, whereby the lender could trespass onto the land of third parties in order to seize the vehicle.

Revised so that where the vehicle is not at the Borrower's property or a public place, the Lender will use reasonable and proportionate measures to seize and take possession of it.Term 7Bill of Sale, Term 8Unfair Contract Term :

Reg 5 Term provided that if the Lender was entitled to seize the vehicle, the Lender or his agents could enter and remain on any premises where the vehicle happened to be and break open doors and windows in order to seize the vehicle. OFT was concerned by the wide right of entry provided by this term, whereby the lender could trespass and damage the property of third parties in order to seize the vehicle. Term provided that where the vehicle had been seized, the Lender could sell the vehicle after 5 days. OFT was concerned that the term did not provide advance warning to the Borrower before the vehicle was sold, in order that he may have the opportunity to rectify matters before the sale takes place.

Revised so that where the vehicle is at any property not owned by the Borrower, the Lender will use reasonable and proportionate measures to seize and take possession of it. Revised to include reference to the fact that a Default Notice is sent to the Borrower before the vehicle is seized, giving him a set period of time to remedy the breachTerm 8Bill of Sale, Term 101(e) Penalty clause (financial) :

1(e) Term provided that the costs, charges, payments and expenses that the Lender incurred in selling the car would be deducted from the sale proceeds.

Revised so that only reasonable costs, charges, payments and expenses would be deducted.Term 10

Outcome reached: Undertaking obtained with no admission Date effective: 23 February 2006 Received from: Outcome text:

Other Information

OFT urged the company to ensure that all its franchisees quote the APR accurately in their Pre Contract Information and Consumer Credit Agreements.

Direct from oft.......

Also before any person can immobilise or remove your car they do now have to be SIA registered failure could result in the person visiting your home being prosecuted.

Don't know if this helps anyone else but i hope it does.

i have a logbook loan and have fell behind :evil: and when i told them i would be willing to pay my weekly payments again they told me i would have to phone another company so i did and they said i would have to pay over 1300 pounds or the car would be lifted clearly i dont have 1300 but car is still in my name so i was thinking if i put private plate on my car could they still uplift it? can any 1 help????:-?

pethead, if you put a private plate on your car you would be at risk of loosing that also, before you do you must inform any party that has a financial interest in your car that should any problem occurs and the vehicle for whatever reason is removed, then the private plate remains the property of yourself and will be returned to you, currently if your car is repo'd with a private plate it can be sold with the car. After looking into the contracts of log book loans, you must apply to the court in london to check if they have registered the bill of sale that you would have signed, if it isnt registered then hp finance rules apply where if you have paid atleast a third of your agreement they need a court order to repo, just a note tho ANY PERSON WISHING TO REPOSSES OR IMMOBILISE A VEHICLE MUST BE SIA REGISTERED. (not all bailiffs or agents are, so check if the repo team turn up, if not call the police) if you want more info let me have your email address. regards

my email address is edited the idea was if the repo man comes if i changed reg and never told logbook the repo man would not know my car was the 1 they want as they looking for the reg they have on record or i considerd selling car far from here as i have v5 logbook and cant find any hpi on my car. all help will be greatfully accepted thanks.

ps who do i need to contact in london do u have address and phone number?

Edited by ScarletPimpernel
Remove personal detail

13 Chattels not to be removed or sold

All personal chattels seized or of which possession is taken . . . . . . F1, under or by virtue of any bill of sale (whether registered before or after the commencement of this Act), shall remain on the premises where they were so seized or so taken possession of, and shall not be removed or sold until after the expiration of five clear days from the day they were so seized or so taken possession of.

Annotations:

Amendments (Textual)

F1Words repealed by Statute Law Revision Act 1898 (c. 22)

• 4 weeks later...

Your Quote About The Sia Is Wrong. Ive Been In The Industry For Over 10 Years Done My Sia Course. Definately By Law The Person Who Is Putting The Clamp On The Vehicle Must Be Licenced. Unless Your Employed For Example By Log Book Direct Then and Clamper Must Have The Security Industy Authority Badge

Checked sia site, only applies for monetary reward, ie payment to remove clamp, LBL recovery people are not doing that they are waiting for recovery truck to arrive.. They are not charging for release of the clamp they are only collecting the debt (or taking the car)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

In regards to my complaint against Logbook Loans i have had several discussions and also studying to be a solicitor i came across baliffs and also made up phone calls and also people who did not want to listen so i went to the Cab who were ok but told me what i knew already and in the end if went to the Financial Obudsman who where very helpful they have a lot on at the moment but kept me informed on the progress of my call. I have now come to an amicable solution with the Obudsman and also Logbook and now awaiting my logbook. Please note @ - Keep a spreadsheet of all payments and conversations and also the Bill Of Sale and contact the Financial Obudsman asap.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, pls get yourself a copy of " THE BILL OF SALE ACT 1882" I have just found out that my bill of sale is invalid, meaning i still have a debt but they have no right to take my car. There are many things that can make the bill of sale invalid. check that they have registered it within 7 days at The High Court, The Strand. the bill of sale should be stamped, ask log book loans for a copy of this. Also when you signed the bill of sale was there a third party present who witnessed it and signed it as a witness? If only you signed it and the guy that gave you the loan it is invalid. The Bill Of Sale Act states that a bill of sale will be void if it fails to include any of the following information: one of them is ;Attestation by a witness not party to the bill.meaning witnessed by a third party who has nothing to do with LogBook Loans. call Trading Standards or citizens Advice and write to them outlining that this is not valid. If thay try to take your car you can get them done for theft....:)