I’m 17 years old and Received 2 letters from dwf with my name spelt wrong and they are asking for for £230.40.

I rang dwf civil recovery the first time upon taking advice from citizens advice to explain to delay to deadline as I was in the process of receiving advice which wasn’t much help.

When that deadline was done I then called again to delay the deadline as I’m struggling financially and it’s lot of money they are asking for and I tried to dispute the cost to which they said okay we will delay it another 7 days for you to dispute the cost but I asked them how do I dispute this to you or Sainsbury’s and they said “we can’t advise you on this matter”

I’ve read a lot of threads saying to ignore them but I was unsure now as I’ve made contact and have tried to dispute the payment and pay it which might mean I have admitted. Would they just persist harder and take me to court eventually or file for a ccj.

I would like to ignore them still but I would like to send a strong email so they know I’m clued up and then ignore them.

I also want to pay the reasonable amount and get this matter solved.

any advice on the law or similar situations are helpful

when I called them I asked for an itemised bill.

£101 stolen goods  ( supposedly caught me because they watched me on cctv over the duration of the week) also why did they not stop me in the first day.

£20.40 recovered goods

£150 security costs

Thank you 

civil recovery schemes run by the likes of RLP DWF etc etc are a scam.

totally IGNORE EVERYTHING. no if's or but's

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Okay understood now

just based on personal experience how long does this go on for 

well you made the cardinal sin by phoning these scammers at least once so their persistence could go on.

however you are new so there you go.

you never ever ever phone any of these likes of scammers on these fake schemes that seem plausible. 

just like a DCA chasing any old debt ..

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have 

ZERO legal powers to actually do anything.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Has anyone that you have known or posted on this forum received knocks on doors from them or received a ccj and been sent to court or have sent bailiffs or gave the debt to another company.

if they don’t have any legal powers why do they threaten with court action 

We don't know of anyone on this forum who has had RLP organisations or bailiffs arrive at the door.

They're going to threaten legal action because they think you may not know that they aren't able to carry this out and could be more likely to pay them.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

DWF can't do anything as they act for a client. In this case, Sainsbury's.

Sainsbury's could take you to court and ATTEMPT to get a CCJ but it's unlikely. They had no interest in dealing with you at the time.

All DWF can do is send out pointless threatograms. They'll threaten to divert an Iranian drone to your house if you don't pay. However, they can't attempt to get a CCJ against you.

IGNORE THEM.

It's more important now to understand why you were allegedly shoplifting, and you should speak with your GP and try and get yourself signposted to the support that's available.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

2 hours ago, Mkasd said:

if they don’t have any legal powers why do they threaten with court action 

as my learned friend above...and..

sadly because just like DCA's and initially yourself in this case, you believed they have some magical powers ...they DON'T.

85% of people blindly pay DCA's cause they know no better and think they are BAILIFFS.

only the RETAILER can ever do court and none have done this on a silly member of joe public that did something stupid since the infamous 2012 Oxford case on retail loss.

BAILIFFS can only ever be involved after you've been to court and lost a CCJ, fat chance re above... and anyway, no BAILIFF has any right of forced entry anyway on consumer debts even with a judgement so.........

stop panicking and thinking everything that doesn't apply.. forget about them but p'haps a confidential GP visit might be a very good move...

what slightly concerns me more here is: 

5 hours ago, Mkasd said:

when I called them I asked for an itemised bill.

£101 stolen goods  ( supposedly caught me because they watched me on cctv over the duration of the week) also why did they not stop me in the first day.

£20.40 recovered goods

£150 security costs

who are 'them' that told you they'd reviewed a week of CCTV and come up with several shoplifting instances over that time amounting to the above?

have you directly contacted or had contact from Sainsbury's? and know they HAVE done this? or is this DWF willy waving and they tricked you into  admitting several previous successful thefts...

this is not the norm... 

dx

and they

Replying to above 

this was on the day that two store detectives approached me and my friend and took us into the back room and spoke to us when they explained they have been watching

oh well, at least your eign of terror is over now.

so no contact directly since from/to sainsbury's. everything since has only been with DWF?

and they

Yes only with dwf.

The first letter I received was explaining that I have not responded to the first letter they sent which I did not receive at all 

then the second letter came, they said again saying we have not heard from you we are extending this another 14 days but at that point a couple of days before I called them on the phone saying I have received this and supposedly i owe money for stolen goods and that I need to see the breakdown which they then emailed to me

dwf said this was what we were trying to send to you at first and I told them we have not received your first letter only one asking for demand of payment.

On my second call to them I asked can you list the things that I have supposedly stole to which they replied “we normally have this on file but I can’t seem to find this on your file” 

going nowhere then.

well if you've not been simply doing it to look the big cheese to your mates, you need to address why you are doing it.

if its to impress your mates then simply stop being an idiot eh? , learn from it and go live your life .

dx

and they

8 hours ago, Mkasd said:

On my second call to them I asked can you list the things that I have supposedly stole to which they replied “we normally have this on file but I can’t seem to find this on your file” 

Hmm, so if they went to court (NOT gonna happen) and told the Judge "wer're claiming £101 for stolen items, but we don't actually know what was stolen", what do you think the Judge might say??

This alone should give you an idea of their professionalism and legal standing. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

SIomeone under 18 can be chased for a debt only if it's for something deemed as needed everyday (mobile phone contract, food etc)

I think this will be a legal grey area and yet another reason to ignore DWF

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hasn't been mentioned, but I assume the OP was detained and searched at some point?

Did they have the legal right to do that with a minor?

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

and they

Block the number and ignore them.

They said hi is this (name)

I said no and they asked if he’s there tell him to contact us in regards to Sainsbury’s 

I said ok bye