Backing out of mutual house swap

Hello,

*posting on behalf of my friend, I'll provide as much info as possible* 

During a pretty low point my friend moved into a social housing property, it was in a area with no family/friend connections so she started to look for a mutual exchange. She found one, signed the paper work and thought everything was okay. 

She has now decided she does not want to go through with the mutual exchange. Is she legally allowed to pull out after signing the paperwork or does she have to commit to the move?

Thank you,

I am heading over to hers tomorrow so I will find out. 

Will there be something written in the agreement or does it depend on the agreement its self ? Just so I know what to look for, so I can provide as much information as possible on here. 

Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead.

If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?

Posted (edited)

When we did a mutual exchange (last year for me), both parties had to go to either the housing association premises or at one of the houses to sign paperwork.

You need to see what they have signed, have both properties had an inspection, house efficiency and electrical test done?

Edited by just_jue
spelling error
  • Like 1

Hi

If you have went via a Mutual Exchange and this is to do with Social Housing/Housing Association then both parties need to firstly be approved by each parties Housing Association and accepted by them.

Once this is done the relevant Housing Association for each will then get each party to sign a New Tenancy Agreement with the relevant Housing Association.

So what we really need to know is:

Does the other party to this Mutual Exchange know you have changed your mind on exchanging properties?

Have they just signed an Agreement in principle to exchange properties? or

Have they actually signed a New Tenancy Agreement for that Property?

If they have signed a New Tenancy Agreement then this will make not now wanting to continue the mutual exchange difficult due to the New Tenancy Agreement being Signed.

We really need to know what stage this is at to give correct advice

• Like 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group