We had an non visible leak for 14 months but Yorkshire Water didn't inform us..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

We have had a non visible leak for the past 14 months in our toilet but Yorkshire Water only informed us last month.

The plumber who fixed it advised that it should have been flagged up before now, since they read meters usually twice a year, and we should seek additional compensation from Yorkshire Water.

Is this true? If so, how should we proceed claiming this.

What damage has the leak caused? What is the value of the damage?

I know that they are meant to read their meters but have they actually done so?

Are the meters in a place which would ordinarily be visible to you?

• Thanks 1

Hi BankFodder,

Thanks for the response.

No damage. We just incurred the additional water usage charges and the cost of repair. It was a couple of hundred pounds but wasn't clear from the plumber whether the cost would have been less if identified earlier.

Yes, they checked the meter twice.

No, we cannot see the meter.

Edited by yorkshire_lufc

Okay so you got to establish that they would have seen the problem and that they had a duty to flag it up to you.

It may be practice for them to do so but I think you would have to find something in writing and you may have your work cut out.

Have you any idea what was the cause of the leak?

• Thanks 1

The issue was with our toilet. Water was running very slowly at all times. It wasn't visible to the eye, only after the plumber said to put toilet paper around the rim of the toilet and it was immediately wet.

Do you think it's worth pursuing with Yorkshire Water?

Hi Ethel,

It's more the fact that it has been a problem for 14 months and hasn't been flagged before now, which I believe is the reason the plumber suggested it.

I'm not sure what additional details would be useful as I don't know this part of law well. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

I wasn't thinking about the law so much as why you think Yorkshire Water might have a responsibility for knowing you had a small leak. Reredaing your thread I see that it was something  YW informed youabout  last month.  Did they actually tell you specifically that your toilet had a leak? How would they know that? What did they actually say?

• Like 1

Hi Ethel,

They said we had had an unexpected increase in our water usage since September of last year, that they suspected it was due to a leak and told us to get a plumber in to investigate further.

It might be that there is no cause for compensation here, it was just the plumber suggested it and found this forum as a good place to understand if we had a case here.

Edited by yorkshire_lufc

Ok, I understand. Let's see what more knowledgeable colleagues here think, it's not something I've been involved with before, although my first thought is that YW have no legal duty to tell you that might have a leak if you have never asked them to investigate the reason for increased water usage. And if they have no legal duty then you wouldn't have the right to get them to pay any of your increased costs. I can't envisage any circumstance where they would be responsible for paying your plumber's bill. Toilet fittings wear out and need replacing from time to time; it's a home maintenance cost.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

I tend to agree with my site team colleague – unless you can find something in writing on their website – or else on the regulators website which suggests that in addition to reading the meter there will be some kind of visual inspection and report back on the condition of it.

I think there is very little chance that you will find something

• Thanks 1