Caught 11-15 oyster card (13 times) - prosecution being faced. Please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Hi, thanks for the link. I donated £20.

In response to honeybee's message, wouldn't sending a letter not do much? It seems they're pretty steadfast in prosecuting me which is understandable. I'll send a new one anyway, but I doubt it'd do much.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by BrachioRose
  • Like 2

A letter wont hurt, it won't increase the punishment, only can decrease it.

Also make sure when you get there you speak to the prosecutor, there are several threads where they will just let you pay at court before the hearing so make sure you turn up early

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I am sending my letter over. It's pretty similar to my previous emails, not much really different.

Also i will carrying cash on me as well as my card so it should be fine. Thanks for the help.

Are you going to let us help you to refine the letter?

It would be better not to say exactly the same again. They want to see genuine remorse from you and be reassured that you have taken steps so this doesn't happen to you again and that you won't repeat the fare-dodging.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

as HB said it needs to be different,

pretty much the same doesn't sound right.

please post here first.

also make sure you have it IN CASH not card,  card is a good backup but make sure to have cash

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Here is my letter:

Dear TfL,

i sincerely apologize to TfL, its employees, and the public for any inconvenience and additional costs my actions have caused. i recognize the necessity of fare payment for TfL's sustainability and regret my failure to comply.

i am profoundly regretful and embarrassed about my decision, and i am fully conscious of the repercussions. i make no excuses for my behaviour.

Since the incident, i have been diligent in using a monthly travel card and regularly topping up my student Oyster card for my commutes. i have paid for all my travels using my student Oyster card. i intend to share this lesson with others to emphasize the importance of adhering to fare rules.

This experience has profoundly affected me, serving as a strong reminder to always comply with fare regulations.

A criminal record would negatively impact my family and my future in medicine as a doctor. I also volunteer as a boxing instructor for children, and any negative record could hinder my ability to continue this work.

I offer to promptly settle any outstanding fares and cover additional administrative expenses stemming from my oversight. I earnestly request your consideration for an out-of-court resolution.

i deeply regret my actions and assure TfL and the authorities of my commitment to not repeat this mistake. I am eager to demonstrate my sincerity and resolution in this matter. I have provided evidence of my recent compliance with fare payments and am ready to offer additional information or evidence if needed.

@dx100uk @honeybee13

any advice on changes to the above for the OP?

Just thinking we might want to get this off today as his court appearance is quite soon

I don't have any changes to suggest at the moment but will have another look later.

dx posted on 27th December about how much cash to allow if you speak to the prosecutor, if it gets that far.

you should carry cash to cover: 

£6.70 avoided fare

£375 costs

£63.65 (the TIC schedule sum)

HB

I wish I had seen this when first posted. Having said that, you are where you are and at this stage of the game I'll also reiterate the slim but possible opportunity to settle on the steps of the court, as they say. It's not impossible; even on the day, the prosecutor has more cases than he can probably deal with, and if yours can be skipped, that allows for another, as well as perhaps releasing witnesses.

I'd really like to say to others, that the most important aspect of that original, first TfL letter has been, I think, overlooked. This:

pace-1986.png

is a caution under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, and apart from being written rather than oral, is the same caution we've heard many times on TV, I expect. You are deemed to have understood it, and as such every time you respond, you are volunteering information.  In the worst-case scenario, this means that you are contributing to the prosecutor's case rather than your own. Anyway, this is for the information for others in this thread.

However, if you do get to meet the prosecutor before the hearing, it might be worth spinning in your favour: emphasise to them how helpful you tried to be [I]even though[/i] you knew you were under caution (even if you weren't!), and went above and beyond in giving them all the information they wanted.

And if you haven't so far, also acknowledge that you understand the amount of time and several staff have spent on your case.

Re. the latest letter, also acknowledge the moral aspect, that by your actions you helped endanger the discount scheme for others (in a very small way of course, but as has been noted above, that's why they take cases of abused discount cards so seriously).

Best of luck!

no begging letters go to to TfL using their email address on the 1st letter.

only the court summons is returned to the court.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have updated my letter as per @Grotesque advice. It currently reads:

Dear TfL,

I sincerely apologize to TFL, its employees, and the public for any inconvenience and additional costs my actions have caused. I recognize the necessity of fare payment for TfL's sustainability and regret my failure to comply.
I am profoundly regretful and embarrassed about my decision, and I am fully conscious of the repercussions. I make no excuses for my behaviour.

Since the incident, I have been diligent in using a monthly travel card and regularly topping up my student Oyster card for my commutes. I have paid for all my travels using my student Oyster card. I intend to share this lesson with others to emphasize the importance of adhering to fare rules. This experience has profoundly affected me, serving as a strong reminder to always comply with fare regulations.

I also acknowledge the Significant amount of time and effort several staff members have dedicated to handling my case. I understand the impact of my actions on the resources of TFL.

By not adhering to the rules I have potentially endangered the discount scheme that benefits many others. I understand why TfL takes cases of abused discount cards so seriously, and I regret any harm my actions may have caused
to the integrity of this scheme.

I have a court date on the 15th of January, 2024 for this case, and a criminal record would negatively impact my family and my future in medicine as a doctor. I also volunteer as a boxing instructor for children, and any negative record could hinder my ability to continue this work. I offer to promptly settle any outstanding fares and cover additional administrative expenses stemming from my oversight. I earnestly request your consideration for an out-of-court resolution.

I deeply regret my actions and assure TFL and the authorities of my commitment to not repeat this mistake. I am eager to demonstrate my sincerity and resolution in this matter. I have provided evidence of my recent compliance with fare payments and am ready to offer additional information or evidence if needed.

in future please just put your begging letters up as copy and paste txt in a reply box here not as PDF's.

done the last two.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I understand why TH takes cases of abused discount cards so seriously

Is TH a typo?

In your first letter to TfL, did you mention your family circumstances? If you did, I wouldn't major on that. They've heard it all before.

HB