Should we trust Sunak or the next PM to fix the Country's problems? (title revised 24/10/22)

Maybe this is why she didn't want an ethics adviser.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Exclusive: Senior Conservatives warn ‘quid pro quo’ arrangement with Mark Fullbrook spells ‘electoral doom’

Illegitimi non carborundum

Ken Clarke's opinion on the budget. 'Like South America', also Italy.

WWW.HUFFINGTONPOST.CO.UK

The Tory grandee said the handouts for the rich could lead to even higher inflation and a collapse in the pound.

Nomura are predicting that the pound will hit parity with the dollar by the end of November and lower than that by the end of the year. Their quote 'Hope is not a strategy.'

BoE are expected to raise interest rates imminently but No10 is refusing to comment on the situation.

Is it possible that Tory MPs will rebel in sufficient numbers to vote down the budget?

From the Guardian's economics editor. Maybe getting rid of the respected Perm Sec at the Treasury wasn't such a great idea?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Chancellor added to market worries by pledging further tax cuts in full budget planned for later this year

Oh, I'm pretty sure the perm sec would have disagreed, yes. But getting rid of all the experts and experienced civil servants isn't a smart move and will rebound on them.

I see there are reports of letters going to the 1922 committee already, after the mini budget.

The privileges committee wasn't really supposed to start investigating until September.

They released a repudation of Lord Pannick's challenge earlier today. The one trying to kybosh the enquiry - they basically said it showed a misunderstanding of parliamentary procedures and had confused it with criminal law.

From Baron O'Neill, ex-chairman of Goldman Sachs.

'By not allowing the OBR to come up with an independent assessment, it’s just created a view around the world that what on earth is going on inside the British Government and that there aren’t really many adults in the room, let’s say.'

Financial people would like a joint statement with Andrew Bailey and Kwarteng to calm the markets, but the BoE could reassure investors with a statement. Others think Kwarteng and Truss should explain their strategy.

I'm not sure how good this government [and the last one] are at co-operating with near neighbours and using Macron and the French as a political punchbag hasn't been clever.

I'm amazed the French are still helping at all after what's been said about them but I keep reading that the UK isn't paying over all the money it's promised.

OH has just had a conference call with a UK investment house cancelled. Kwarteng has called a meeting with a lot of large institutions this morning and I hope they don't hold back on what they think.

I've also read that he's meeting the BoE, whatever difference that might make.

Has anyone seen the PM?

For someone who's only been PM for three weeks, Truss is acquiring nicknames quite fast. 

I can't decide between Mad Mary or the one that City traders are tweeting. They're calling her Daggers, as in Dagenham, two stops beyond Barking [on the London underground.]

Oh dear. Apparently things aren't good between KK and the BoE either.

AFAIK the PM hasn't been seen for two days now.

NEWS.SKY.COM

The prime minister's initial instinct had been to stand firm and say little or nothing while faced with market turmoil, spiking borrowing costs, and the...

And here's the Washington Post.

"Britain has replaced Italy as Europe’s problem economy. Having left the EU, the new Conservative government led by Prime Minister Liz Truss faces almost no constraints. She was expected to be bold. She is turning out to be bonkers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/26/britain-europe-weak-economy/

• I agree 1

Better late than never. Even the Beeb has caught up with where Truss and Kwarteng are getting their economic and other advice.

WWW.BBC.COM

55 Tufton Street has hosted organisations that have had a big political impact over the last decade.

And now Moody's comment.

WWW.CREDITSTRATEGY.CO.UK

Moody’s has warned that the UK’s recent mini-budget risked “permanently weakening the UK’s debt affordability”, describing the country’s new fiscal...

• I agree 1

Quite so, KS. From Jon Craig on Twitter.

'Tory “big beasts” appear to be boycotting next week’s party conference. Rishi Sunak, David Davis, Sajid Javid & Mel Stride all confirm they’re not going.'

Another pundit wondered if anyone other than the cabinet would be there.

I can't see the markets waiting two months to find out what their strategy is.

Apparently Mad Mary and Kamikaze thought traders, rich people and the markets would love their budget. I wonder if they asked anyone before they went ahead with Britannia Unchained economics.

Still nobody has seen Truss and Kwarteng was only spotted because he used the front door coming out of the Treasury. He soon vanished back into the building.

• I agree 1