Am I entitled to argue this penalty charge?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6125 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have gone overdrawn at my bank this weekend. I had £30 in my account when 3 switch transactions came through earlier than expected - 1 x £25 & 2 x £50. for this I have received 3 x £30 fines.

Although the situation is my fault, I feel it is unfair to get 3 fines rather than two. I believe the £30 could be allocated to pay for the £25 switch payment legitamately and then I just incur the two penalty fines.

FWIW, The I did actually make the £25 transaction before the two £50 transactions.

Can anyone advise me, if I am entitled to argue the third charge?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed at this great news! Just looking through my online statements Ive been charged over £1k in the last 18 months alone.

What puzzles me however, is how come this isnt public knowledge? How can the banks continue to apply these charges if they have been deemed unlawful.

yes up to 6 yrs ago

Or possibly from when you opened your account if you made a mistake in that you thought the charges were lawful, or you believe the bank knew but concealed the nature of those charges.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Guest littlesally

This is public knowledge! And has been for some time. It's been on TV a few times and radio 2 have it on quite a bit. Because it sounds unbelievable, some people dismiss it, or think it can't mean their charges!

Bank charges are legitimate, BUT banks are not allowed to profit from them. The Office of Fair Trading investigated credit card charges and said there is no way it costs £28 + for customers to go overdrawn.

Banks were asked how much it actually costs and to prove it, the banks refused.

They also refused to prove bank charges. Which is why we can claim.

So far, banks have paid out about £3 million in refunding charges, but are still getting £3 billion from them!

So it is not in their interest to be honest and say the real cost is £12, as they would lose £15 billion!

Which is why they always settle out of court. If they went to court they would have to prove it costs them £28+ everytime a customer goes over the agreed overdraft.

Sally x

I am amazed at this great news! Just looking through my online statements Ive been charged over £1k in the last 18 months alone.

What puzzles me however, is how come this isnt public knowledge? How can the banks continue to apply these charges if they have been deemed unlawful.

dont worry, its slowly creeping into the public psyche

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

Thanks for your reply Sally. Its nice to have a little understanding as to why I am entitled to claim.

dont worry, its slowly creeping into the public psyche - a little bit more itsamamomentintime, as Ive told everyone I know!

Being Greedy now......any ideas if I can claim for an account that I closed in June?

Hi Paddy, if you still have the statements, then it doesnt matter whether the account is open or closed, the same procedure applies, even if you havnt got the statements you can do a SAR (Take a look at the FAQ's and the Step by Step Process in my sig)

then find the appropriate bank thread and start a thread and there will always be someone around to help

So welcome and good luck

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

So it is not in their interest to be honest and say the real cost is £12,

Also don't be fooled by the findings of the OFT - they said they would not take legal action against a credit card company if they charged more than £12 - they actually went on to say that even this amount would be the absolute MAXIMUM and that they would still have to be able to substantiate it, possibly in court.

Actually, much evidence exists to say that where a bank refuses a DD, for example, the actual cost to the bank amounts to a few pence. Even when they send a letter, the process is fully automated, and anything above £1 would be hard to believe.

Have a good read through the site - and prepare yourself fully with the legal arguments BEFORE you start the process. Also open a parachute account, as your bank MAY decide to close your account.

Thanks Alan and Lula for your responses.

Im just reading through as much info as I can get right now. Its all quite mind blowing really but Ive printed off the 'rules of engagement' sheet and am making my initial request for a list of charges.

It seems to me that suing for the correct interest rate is even more important than getting the basic charge refunds.

For example, my unauthorised overdraft EAR is 28.9%

If, I use a hypothetical fine (though im sure one will exist!!) of £30 received 6 years ago, this would accrue £17.60 in interest @ 8%, however would accrue £107.60 @ 29.8% (are they really going to pay this??)

Maybe I have misunderstood something along the way......

It seems to me that suing for the correct interest rate is even more important than getting the basic charge refunds.

For example, my unauthorised overdraft EAR is 28.9%

If, I use a hypothetical fine (though im sure one will exist!!) of £30 received 6 years ago, this would accrue £17.60 in interest @ 8%, however would accrue £107.60 @ 29.8% (are they really going to pay this??)

Maybe I have misunderstood something along the way......

There are a few cases of people winning using contractual interest rate. It is still very much in the "test" phase.

So would the advice be (unofficially!) to sure for 8% and be sure to get it?

If I tried for 29.8 and lost, what would I still get 8% or would I lose the lot? (Ie interest and charges)

Thanks for your response.

In your POC you can ask for the greater amount and also say should you not agree to contractual amount i will accept the standard 8%.

Paddy, I have always used Mindzai's POC as it claims higher & lower contractual rates plus statutory in the alternative. Worth considering, I think.

XXXX COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

MINDZAI AND LUCID CLAIMANTS

And

LLOYDS TSB PLC DEFENDANT

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimants have a joint account XXXXXXXX ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around XXth XXXXXXX 2002.

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimants understand that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimants.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimants contend that:

a) The charges debited to the Account, as outlined in the attached schedule, are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit. In the event that the charges are not a penalty, they are unreasonable under The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 section 15. The Defendant has declined to justify the charges.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) paragraph 8 and schedule 2(1)(e), The Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 section 4 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimants claim:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £XXXX and interest charged thereon in the sum of £XXX.XX;

b) Court costs;

c) the additional costs incurred by the Claimants in the writing and sending of letters to the Defendant pursuant to this claim in the sum of £XX, as set out in the attached list of costs.

d) the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 29.85%, from the date of each transaction to 7th September 2006 of £XXX, as set out in the attached list of charges. The claimant further claims interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £X.XX per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on unauthorised drawings from the account. We hold that this applies to unauthorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to unauthorised drawings by the Claimant. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s unauthorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim contractual interest at a rate of 18.2%, from the date of each transaction to 7th September 2006 of £XXX.XX, as set out in the attached list of charges. The claimants further claims interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £X.XX per day.

The account’s Terms and Conditions specify the interest payable on authorised drawings from the account. We hold that this applies to authorised drawings by the Defendant as well as to unauthorised drawings by the Claimant. Should the court deem this incorrect, the Claimants claim the rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendant’s authorised overdraft interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Should the court find that this interest rate is not applicable, then in the alternative the Claimants claim interest under Section 69 of the County Court Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum calculated from 3rd November 2003 to 7th September 2006, which is £XX.XX and continuing until payment or the date of judgement at a daily rate of £X.XX.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true.

Signed:

Date:

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Going for contractural interest at unauthorised overdraft rate - 29.8%

Letter Before Action - Posted 24/8

Mindzai's Account - £472.32 (Charges + overdraft interest + contractural interest)

Joint Account - £1509.79 (Charges + overdraft interest + contractural interest)

Preliminary Letter - Posted 9/8

Mindzai's Account - £402.79 (Charges + overdraft interest)

Joint Account -£1253.09 (Charges + overdraft interest)

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download [for later versions of Excel only at the moment]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Mindzai : 7th September 2006 at 00:23.

It depends! If you want to be a cantakerous old git like me! Then the Data protection Act makes no allowances for charges. Under the terms of the SAR that you send (if you follow this site) they should be providing you with ALL information held about you, electronically. That is - everything!! From dates of interviews, phone calls, absolutely everything that is held by means of an electronic storage/retreival system. needless to say they don't because they know what we want, and why!

I am having a nice sparring match at the moment to get them to uphold their obligations even after they paid me!!!

Told you I was a cantakerous git!

A D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

So would the advice be (unofficially!) to sue for 8% and be sure to get it?

There is no certainty that you will get any interest, its always at the courts discretion, whatever the rate.

If I tried for 29.8 and lost, what would I still get 8% or would I lose the lot? (Ie interest and charges)

What you 'win' in terms of interest is a matter of how good an argument you presented at court, presuming of course it got that far.

quote]

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA