General Debt Advice - RBS Student Overdraft - Recently Defaulted - Westcot

Like alot of others I've never dealt with my debt properly,  but I'm looking for a fresh start now.

Here is some information on the defaulted debt:

Original creditor: RBS

Owened by: Westcot

Outstanding balance: £2500

Defaulted date: September 2020

Last payment date: The student account was changed into a select account in 2018, but I may have stopped using it earlier. 

I'm about to send a DPA request for all the information they hold, should I ask for evidence that it is not statute barred

There is also £1000 worth of debt on my file that has not currently defaulted (half of that again with RBS).

I have moved around alot in the past, so they may not have an up to date address.

Ultimately I am thinking about filing for bankruptcy, but also considering a debt management plan. 

I'm aware i'm in damage limitation mode, but I'd be grateful for any advice that would take me down the best path long term. 

Bankruptcy seems like it would take away alot more rights and freedoms than money can buy...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you could just double check as Wescot do not buy defunct debts ..they only act for the client which I assume will still be RBs.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy.

I see, it's definitely Westcot so looks like I was mistaken and the debt hasn't been sold. 

Does this mean that I should consider dealing with Westcot directly? 

nope you ignore wetcloths totally

no DCA has any legal powers on any debt and are not bailiffs.

even more so as wetcloths don't buy debts as andy said

now your debts, 

you should never move without informing the stated debt owner on your credit file

you risk backdoor litigation you'd never know about.

luckily i will assume you are democidal in scotland and these debts were originally taken out in scotland too?

dont go BK or do anything like that ever on consumer debts not ever worth it unless it is very large total and then use a DRO unless you have assets?

can you list what you think you owe to who? with defaulted dates and type of credit? along with the name of the original creditor?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good to know they are wetcloths! 

I don't see any CCJs on my file. 

Is this what you mean by backdoor litigation, CCJ's that I am not aware of? 

But yes, they were taken out in Scotland and I am still living here. 

Okay, thanks. BK didn't seem worth it but the advisor at the citizens advice listed it as an option so I was seriously considering it. I will look into a DRO: I have no assets and my expendable income is actually less than £75 after my monthly wage. Would a DRO mean that the debt is effectively statute barred after 12 months? 

As for the rest of my debts:

Original creditor: RBS

Owned by: RBS

Outstanding balance: £600

Defaulted date: Not defaulted

Last payment date: December 2019

Original creditor: Paypal

Owned by: Paypal

Outstanding balance: £600

Last payment date: August 2019

Original creditor: Vodafone

Owned by: Vodafone

Outstanding balance: £100

Last payment date: October 2019

Also, according to my credit report 2020 was my last payment on the RBS Student Account (the bulk of my debt). 

Again, I appreciate all of your advice. I've just recently gained some financial stability and a knowledge of the value of money/things. Atleast they can't take away that. 

No need to do anything then

those debts are not 'debts'

A silly mobile one -is this your current provider? Or simply an old sim you stopped using?

is the pp one pp credit or just an old balance and from when?

what type of credit is with rbs?

Theres no such rhing as ccj's in Scotland abs that debt charity want shooting!!!!!

Dont send anyone anything. Dont kick pram wheels!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Really? They obviously make it look alot more urgent...

The Vodafone one was from an old sim I stopped using when I stopped working for them, and the RBS debt is a bog standard credit card.

If I shouldn't be too worried at the mo, what should I look out for in the future which should make me start considering actions like DRO? Or is it a case of riding it out and getting rid of the noose that way?

Cheers!

Edited by whambam

All mobile debts are made of fake monthly subscriptions to the 18/24mts contract till end of contract

under fca rules they are unlawful

no original creditor ever does court

theyll sell the debt on to a powerless dca which is why you must always keep debt owners informed.

A dca has no more power than you or me..raise a court claim.

but they must follow the pre action protocol letter of claim.

to be honest forget your debts listed  always update owner upon moves await if/when a letter of claim..until then you NEVER respond. 

The rbs credit card is still with rbs not sold yet so years till sale i bet to a dca and then it might be SB'd 1st.

and they

DROs ae only available in England the Scottish equivalents are a DAS and also Sequestration.

But neither are really required for the amount of debt you refer to.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread