• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
    • quite honestly id email shiply CEO with that crime ref number and state you will be taking this to court, for the full sum of your losses, if it is not resolved ASAP. should that be necessary then i WILL be naming Shiply as the defendant. this can be avoided should the information upon whom the courier was and their current new company contact details, as the present is simply LONDON VIRTUAL OFFICES  is a company registered there and there's a bunch of other invisible companies so clearly just a mail address   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advice on mounting debt worries please - scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Finding this very difficult to write, but I am at the stage where I need help.

Brief outline:

Live in Scotland.
Joint mortgage with partner.
3 kids (youngest is disabled)
Me - approx 41k unsecured debt
Partner - approx 48k unsecured debt.

I was self-employed & partner working full-time.

Partner became very ill at start of pandemic 3 years ago. She has been diagnosed with various long term symptoms and was actually sacked from her job for contracting Covid and being too ill to work!
Current diagnosis is not positive and the likelihood of returning to work is not good.

I, subsequently stopped being self-employed after 20yrs to look after her and my youngest and everything else as impossible to continue (no help from government available to me during pandemic).

We have over the 3 yrs accrued the debt above and exhausted the small amount of savings we had.

I've constantly tried to juggle the finances but now realize that the end of the road is on the horizon and I need to act as we cannot afford to keep up payments.

I've read a lot on the forum and just wanted advice to confirm if I should think about defaulting sooner rather than later?

I've attached a breakdown of the debts.

Lots of accounts show on credit file with wrong details and also says both of us are not registered on Electoral role.
We do however receive all correspondence from the above firms at our current address and also are eligible to vote.
I've now given up trying to get the address changed on my credit file after multiple failed attempts.

Not sure if relevant but the current accounts were opened when we where resident in England - we have lived in Scotland since 2007.

Neither of us have ever defaulted before and we are very apprehensive about the whole situation - especially my Partner, which is making her health worse which is worrying me more than the debt tbh.

All help / guidance is gratefully received.

Many Thanks.

overdebt.pdf

are any of your debts with DCA's?

are you actually paying any debts anything?

certainly debts outside of say 2017 just stop pay ...end of

OD or current account debts - just do the same .

get a parachute account opened

get any income paid there.

you've not indicated if all these on you CRA file have a registered defaulted date or not?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still paying everything (min amounts per account but still a significant overall amount per month) - I've not defaulted on anything as yet.

Just know that I'm not in a position to carry on paying.

I thought we may get to a position where we would be able to start paying everything off, but unfortunately my Partners long term health situation means this will be extremely unlikely so I need to sort it out for the future.

Many Thanks.

T.

copy and paste that debt table here please as text.

i would most certainly just stop paying the old debts as advised 

any with DCA's yet? 

you really should have addressed this YEARS AGO.

i came to scotland in 2008 with joint debts of over 80k + a colossal int only mortgage 

dropped them all dead.

i now owe nothing to no-one and only owe £10k on the home that they arent bothered about at all.

you must take control.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Advice on mounting debt worries please - scotland

Wow - that is amazing!

Yes - something I should have addressed earlier - it's a mindset thing as I have always paid.

What constitutes an old debt? I was under the assumption the debt was from the date of last use - is this not the case?

I've been switching between cc's as they kept offering me 0% transfers, so although we've had the cards for a while they have been constantly used.

Info of accounts as listed on credit file below:

Me:

Account              Date opened      Debt      Credit Limit      Address

Barclaycard (cc) Feb 2015           2700       16000                old address

RBS (cc)              May 2011           5300       5500                 old address

RBS (od)              Aug 2007           1800       2000                 old address

Tesco (cc)           Jun 2013           15000     16000               old address

Paypal (cc)          Apr 2015            1500       5300                 wrong address

Virgin (cc)            Aug 2019          12500     13000               correct address

HSBC (cc)            Aug 2022          1800       2000                  correct address

Also:

Nationwide (cc) Feb 2012            +39         4600                  old address

tech error means I have no access to account even though been into branch multiple times.

Cahoot (c/a)      Jul 2007                  0            0                      old address 

dormant but still live on system (no access available).

Have just applied for Starling Bank account.

Partner:

Account              Date opened           Debt          Credit Limit         Address

Barclaycard (cc) Nov 2001               10500        16000                   old address - think opening date is wrong on file - probably circa 2013

Barclaycard (cc) Nov 2005               3500          9000                     old address - think opening date is wrong on file - probably circa 2013

Natwest (cc)       Sep  2010               7500          7700                     old address

Natwest (od)       Oct 1999                3800          4050                     old address

Natwest (loan)    Feb 2020                3900         6000                      old address

Tesco (cc)           Jun 2013              15000        16000                     old address

Paypal (cc)          Apr 2015               1500          2000                       wrong address

Also:

First Direct (c/a) Feb 2005                  0                0                          old address

dormant but still live on system.

Halifax (c/a) Mar 2012 0 0 correct address

not used for 2 yrs but still active - can use as parachute account

I've spoken to all the banks etc over the years - all say they have my correct address but virtually all accounts on my credit file have an old address listed & say we are not on electoral role - no idea what that's about tbh!

Thanks.

T.

Just stop paying anything with a takeout date of say pre 2017.

Theyll soon chase and then we can deal at that time.

Most certainly stop all ca or od (bank accounts) payments regardless to age. 

Get a parachute account opened, move all sources of income, or any savings to it. Make sure they are not linked to existing lenders.

Co-op or PO are good.

For everything else, go look at our pro rata letters in the debt collection section of our library.

Take control of your money.

Dx

and they

Hi,

Sorted out a parachute account for both of us with the co-op as advised - pre-approved - just waiting for details / cards through the post.

Have done the letters as advised - just want to double check a couple of things before proceeding.

1. Cancel all direct debits at banks as of now?

1. All partners cc accounts opened before 2017 - so just stop paying and wait for defaults ? Loan is 2020 but linked to ca so just stop paying or send pro-rata letter with regards to loan only?

2. My only accounts after 2017 are Virgin & HSBC - send pro-rata letters  to just these 2 and wait for defaults on others ? Is it best to include an IE breakdown at this point? (Some threads say to include and others advise not too initially).

With regards to the HSBC account which I have just taken out and made only 1 payment - is there any benefit to continue paying this as it is a smaller amount and It is on 0% for 2 years ?

I have an offer on a couple of existing cards for 0% money transfers - would there be any benefit in taking this and paying off the 2 smaller Paypal accounts?

In essence, just asking if it makes any difference the amount of accounts that get defaulted?

Thanks.

T.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

We've stopped paying all the pre 2017 stuff as advised - the late payment charges & phone calls have started - so all the numbers getting blocked as we go.

Just a quick question with regards to the pro-rata letters I sent to the others (which I am paying £1 per month) - Virgin, HSBC & Natwest Loan.

I asked for all correspondence via letter as my partner was very unwell and the stress was too much plus for interest & charges not to be added.

I have confirmation that all letters where delivered, but not had any reply from any of them - just letters stating additional charges and interest (& phonecalls)

Should I receive a reply or is it common practice for these firms to just ignore?

Do I just keep paying the £1 till they do something about it?

Thanks.

T.

seems like you are doing fine.

if they ignore you they ignore you.

once things are settled , you could started kicking pram wheels on those you are paying, but thats your choice.

it will eventually settle down.

long time coming mind.

and they

• 5 months later...

open

dx

and they

Hi,

Just wanted to post a quick update for anyone following this thread which may help with a timeline of how things progress and also to confirm a few points.

Current Situation as shown by credit report:

Me:

Account                   Date opened       Address                            Status

Barclaycard (cc)     Feb 2015           old address                        Still Active

RBS (cc)                   May 2011          old address                        In Arrears

RBS (od)                  Aug 2007           old address                        Still Active

Tesco (cc)               Jun 2013           old address                        In Default - Passed to Moorcrofts

Paypal (cc)              Apr 2015           wrong address                   In Default

Virgin (cc)                Aug 2019          correct address                  In Arrears (paying £1 pm)

HSBC (cc)                Aug 2022          correct address                  Active (paying £1 pm)

Partner:

Account                   Date opened      Address                            Status

Barclaycard (cc)     Nov 2013          old address                        In Arrears

Barclaycard (cc)     Nov 2013          old address                        In Arrears

Natwest (cc)           Sep 2010          old address                         In Arrears

Natwest (od)           Oct 1999          old address                         In Arrears

Natwest (loan)        Feb 2020          old address                         In Arrears (paying £1 pm)

Tesco (cc)               Jun 2013          old address                         In Default - Passed to Moorcrofts

Paypal (cc)              Apr 2015          wrong address                    In Arrears

Bit of a strange one with regards to the Natwest Loan. Wrote to them with the £1pm pro-rata letter citing ill-health and job loss for my Partner.

Last month received a large letter reply saying they were sorry to hear about illness blah blah blah accompanied by a 6 page questionnaire and also saying they needed access to medical records, letter from doctor etc.

Even stranger was that the heading of the letter was not for the loan but for the credit card...........which I've never written to them about.

Is this normal to cross-reference between accounts?

On my credit report, most of the accounts have an old address listed for the accounts as shown above.

I've received all correspondence from all firms at my present address (and all have been informed of my new address multiple times).

Concerned about the backdoor CCJ route - is there anything I should do to make sure that doesn't happen?

Just wanted to confirm I still do nothing until I receive a letter of claim from someone?

My Partner is worrying as we have had letters from Moorcrofts to say they MAY send a representative to the house - Just wanted to post this to confirm they have no powers whatsoever to put her mind at rest.

Thanks.

T.

dca doorsteppers , just like a dca ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and have ZERO legal powers on any debt no matter whats its type.

if they do turn up, simply pick up your mobile and film them.

never heard of a moorcroft doorstepper ever turning up it just a scare  tactic in case you think and 99% of the uk population do..they are bailiffs!!...but...if they do..

do not engage.

tell them to leave your property and never to return else you'll call police 101.

as for the backdoor ccj's - the addresses for the debts on your credit files is the address you took the credit out at.

so wont be changed even if you have updated each debt owner.

not relevant as the address to serve papers too if you've done the above.

dont give anyone pers medical details none of their business!!

and correct too

await any letter of claim, but those wont come if the oc still owns the debt.

dx

and they

None of the banks will do anything if they own the original debt. Between my wife and I we had around 10 Nat West and HSBC loans. credit cards and Overdrafts, they all went statute barred more than 7 years ago, no action taken.

As for doorstep representatives, I had one come round once, strangely it was January this year about a debt that had gone statute barred in 2020. I told her this and she looked very embarrassed , said she wouldn't bother us again.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Many Thanks DX & London

- Your replies did settle my Partners' nerves once she read them.

Strangely though, she received an email today from PRA Group saying:

We have recently sent you a letter advising that Barclaycard has sold your account to us, you should have also received a letter from Barclaycard advising the same.

The contractual agreement you had with Barclaycard has been transferred to us.

Over the next few days we will call you to discuss your options - our phone number is 08081965546.

She has not had a letter from them or a letter from Barclays to say the debt has been transferred - the account does not show as defaulted on credit score and she has never received a default letter from Barclays - I am expecting them to arrive this week.

All previous correspondence from Barclays has always come to our present address so no excuse there.

If she doesn't receive anything does it make any difference?

Thanks.

T.

you never ever give a fleecer and email address nor replying to them, nor talk on the phone regarding any debt.

always put the phone down stating writing only.

you should be blocking and bouncing ALL emails addresses they use

reporting all texts to 7726 spam

blocking all phone numbers

dx

and they

Hi DX,

Yep - I'm doing that - All the numbers are blocked so just get diverted to voicemail.

The email was just out of the blue today - probably the email Barclaycard have for her - they have obviously forwarded it to PRA.

I had no intention of responding in any way - was just a bit surprised seeing as she hasn't received a default notice from Barclaycard and no written correspondence from either before receiving the email.

Was just curious as to what happens if Barclaycard don't send her a default notice or letter of assignment?

Thanks.

T.

fatal to any court claim should the debt buyer be so brave.

there arent any enforceable agreements for most barclaycards either.....just ask hoist!!

and ofcourse how do pra know its still her email 

they don't......think sbout it...free way to try and make someone wet themselves....

and they

Not worth worrying about, I've had bigger debts with all of the above, The only one I can't speak for are Barclaycard .  Nobody else did anything outside of angry letters.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...

Quick update for anyone following:

Everything has now defaulted except for current accounts and overdrafts.

At present various debts have been passed to PRA Group, Westcot & Moorcrofts for collection - all calls & emails being ignored & blocked and any letters filed.

Strangely, on my credit report all the credit cards except for RBS have been removed and my credit score has increased by 300 points! They don't even show under closed accounts apart from Paypal which shows balance zero.

My course of action is ignore everything and make no contact with the OC for 5 yrs until SB unless a letter of claim drops through the letterbox?

With regards to the the cc's & loan I am paying £1pm on - now that they are defaulted, do I continue to pay or stop? I'm assuming paying the £1 means it will never SB?

T.

14 minutes ago, tutty1 said:

PRA Group, Westcot & Moorcrofts for collection

moorcroft and wetcloths dont buy debts ignore them

pra group do, so. have you had a notice of assignment for that debt (barclaycard?) 

and they

Hi DX,

Yes - all 3 Barclaycard debts have been assigned to PRA - they informed me before Barclaycard did.

Receive emails and letters asking to get in touch, login online, offering discounts etc.

Also the Virgin Credit card that I pay £1 pm on has been assigned to Arrow Global (Capquest).

Send CCA requests?

T.

urm no.

as long as they have your correct address (from you in writing , but if you've not moved dont bother)

leave them too it until ..... there no LOC in scotland but i bet they will send one so them time to CCA etc 

stop paying yes, dont run SB date anymore.

keep the Notice of assignments safe. BC themselves dont need to send one. arrows/pra can using BC letterhead.

dx

• Like 1

and they