British Gas Has Switched Me To Smart Pay As You Go Without Asking For My Permission

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1333 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been trying to keep up with utility payments for some time now but I have just received a text message informing me that British Gas are moving me over to Smart Pay As You Go. I am assuming they are doing this because I have a debt with them that I am slowly paying off.

I am now worried as I don't know if this means they will demand the full payment and if I don't pay they will add the outstanding balance, as I have been paying quarterly,  to some kind of debt on the pay as you go system which means I will need to pay it all off in one go or they will cut my electricity supply off.

Can they do that?

I am really unhappy about the way they have treated me.

I am in receipt of Universal Credit due to illness which they know.

I am really worried now if they can cut the electricity if I don't pay the full amount.

I am assuming that they will also be switching me over to Pay As You Go with my gas,

although I haven't heard anything at the moment.

I recently had an issue with my landlord and posted about it on this platform and the helpers on this platform were brilliant.

I'm sorry to ask again for help but I just don't know what to do.

I would be really grateful if anyone has any advice.

TenantJustice

As you have a smart meter,  they will include the debt on the meter, so as you pay for your energy, you will pay towards the debt.  

I believe British Gas can do this without your permission, if you have a smart meter.  Ask British Gas for more information about how this will work now.  For each say £10 you add to the meter,  ask them how much will they take towards the debt. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67,

Thanks for responding.

What if I don't top up anything on the smart meter and keep to my ad hoc payments which chip away at the debt?

Would they look to cut my electricity supply off and could they do that knowing I am on Universal Credit and not well?

I have logged into my account and I see that my gas account has not been switched over to smart meter and that I can book an appointment to have that done if I want, I think I will avoid that for now.

TenantJustice

if you look at the smart meter account for your electric, it should tell you how much they are expecting and your payment schedule.

rarely do they cut people off for debt no. esp using smart meters where there is an existing arrangement that has worked to date.

the info should also be on your remote smart meter monitor, just look under debt, it should show the amount added, typically this is per week.

how do you usually pay and by what method> ? by bank transfer ?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk,

I have been paying using my debit card to make ad hoc payments, I had to cancel the direct debit when I got into financial trouble as I am in receipt of Universal Credit due to illness. I have logged in to my account but the balance currently says zero, so not sure what's going on. I am assuming if they were going to cut my electricity supply off they would at least give some notice?

TenantJustice

Do you have a smart meter and is it working ?

If so, British Gas should load the debt to the smart meter and when you add payments to your smart meter account, some of the payment will go towards your debt

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

the debt ,your payments, and scheduled expected repayment s will be on your remote SMART METER receiver 

go through the menu buttons to billing/debt but this depends upon your device .

they wont cut you off no.

if you consider yourself on low income or someone in your household is on benefits or is longterm ill/disabled

get intouch with the BGAS careteam.

they will sort it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...