Insurance for USA car hire

mickrick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure if this should be in here. If not feel free to move it to its proper home.

Okay, so we're going on holiday to the US in a couple of months, flying with Virgin Holidays. We've also hired a car for the duration of the holiday. I was on with Virgin yesterday about airport assistance and the rep I spoke to told me that the car hire doesn't include insurance, and if I can't show the hire company, Alamo, that I have valid insurance then they will charge me for it when I get there.

I see there are companies here which provide international car hire insurance for an nth of what the hire companies charge. But before I take it out, will it be deemed valid by the hire company? I know they want you to take their insurance so they get the commission.

Yes you can take out Insurance and not pay the hire companies premiums.

But you then take on risk of having to pay amounts after an accident before your own Insurers pay out. With the rental car companies own Insurance, they would deal with everything for you.

I have read of people having problems with own Insurance arrangements, so read up on it and see if the saving is worth it.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Often there IS some insurance offered by the hired, but it is basic only.

Check what basic cover they provide, and if it is the CDW and SLI they would want to charge for, look for that (supplrmental) cover

Thanks guys. Yeah it is cdw and sli. But Alamo themselves state that these are not compulsary and that it is fine with the basic insurance. But I've been recommended to check out a company called questor. I've got a quote for annual full insurance, including cdw an sli, for 2 drivers, for £52-odds. So I'm gonna go with that to be safe.