last minute change of tenancy date?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Saturday morning all ready to move, when i get a call from letting agent saying landlady has changed the moving in date!

Now we have a piece of paper (the receipt for letting agents fees) saying tenancy to start on 18th November

Can we claim for additional expenses and inconvenience? (we are in now) but the whole thing has been a nightmare!

Did you get my PM cb?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Sorry - ok. The tenancy had not begun. But the contract was still in force. This means that you can claim for actual financial loss due to the breaching of the contract. Do you have a copy of the contract signed by her stating the original date?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

no afraid not, she didnt sign anything all i have is the 18th stated on the receipt for the admin fees i paid the letting agents and thats when the date was set at as far as i was concerned as i have heard nothing to the contrary until saturday last

Ah....well, no signature means no claim unfortunately CB!

Thing is, without a signed contract you are going to struggle to get anything done. You can obviously try them, but any court case is almost bound to lose.

Cillit,in reply to your post and in my opinion:

1.You DO NOT have any form of redress with the landlady as the contract had not been signed yet - I agree with what Mr.Shed has already mentioned.

2.Regarding the letting agent,this signed receipt was for reserving the property for you until the 18th of November rather than the moving in date being the 18th of November which are two totally different issues.

By the way Cillit,what are the exact words written on this receipt?Please post them here as this may change my view.

Dont worry its not worth the bother i'm just so fed up with it, the date was given as the 18th as that was the day we were able to move in due to finances, i would've thought the least the agents could've done is to keep in touch with landlady so that we all knew where we stood!

I just feel very let down:cry:

Cillit,

Cheer up and settle in your new property!

Also,if you are upset and angry it clouds your thoughts and ideas.

When you feel ready,post the wriitten details on the receipt.

Remember I do not think is a good idea to have a clash with the letting agent at the start of the tenancy.Also,as time goes by you may find out more which could potentially make your case stronger.All you have to do,is let us know the chain of events.

So,what is the rush? Remember you can sue for breach of contract - if we can establish this - 6 years after the event.

So,save it for the end of the tenancy and even better after you have moved out!

Keep smiling!

Remember you are not alone.We will do all we can to help you.

Thanks N4B, you have cheered me up no end!

You are sweet, i just feel under so much stress at the moment what with this and my employment issues but you are right of course, i should just settle in and bide my time.

Thank you again x