• Tweets

• where does anything say its a penalty charge please? sit on your hands , stop begging to everyone await if/when you ever get a letter of claim. thread title updated     
    • Hi all, new member, being advised by someone on another forum but looking for the opinion of others to help me decide what to do.  Bit of a long one but I am looking for some quite specific advice or signposting to somewhere that may hold the correct information. Long story short, I bought an Audi on finance years ago and traded my old car in under the diesel scrappage scheme, brilliant. This allowed me to reduce the value of my brand new car by £7,000 Fast forward a few years later and I fell into hardship. Unfortunately I could no longer afford the car and despite my best efforts at trying to negotiate some kind of support from VWFS (Audi financial Services), the car was subsequently marked stolen and I was pulled over at the side of the road using Tactical Pursuit and Contain. My car was then recovered back to the finance company. I struggled for a while, bought an older car to get myself by and eventually got my finances back on track. Then in September of last year I became aware of a CCJ against me filed by VWFS, for the shortfall of the agreement minus the value of the car which was sold at auction. This caused me to do some research into my agreement, legislation and also consult some legal advice. Using another forum and speaking to retired vehicle finance lawyers, it turned out I may have some grounds to apply to set aside the CCJ at a Court hearing, so I drafted some documents and a witness statement and I was successful in setting aside the CCJ, on the grounds that VWFS had no evidence that I had traded in my old car as a part exchange. Now this is where things get complicated. My whole defence on winning the case against VWFS and disregarding liability for the shortfall rested on the fact that, with my old car as a part exchange, I had paid in more than a third of the agreement and VWFS could not repossess my car without a court order or they would be in breach of Section 90 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and I would be entitled to all sums paid under the agreement. I took this all the way, noting that the CCA 1974 and the Consumer Credit Agreement Regulations 2010 state that a deposit is defined as any exchange of goods or by any other means a reduction in value of a purchase by means of a transfer. I recently had my day in Court but as a litigant in person, was cross examined by an all singing all dancing Barrister and of course he persuaded the Judge that I had no case, and that my car traded in under the scrappage incentive was not to be classed as a deposit, despite it literally being written in legislation, amongst other reasons why I found the HP agreement to not be properly executed. I am now appealing this decision as I strongly believe the Judge has misinterpreted the law, What I really need for this to be successful is someone who is knowledgeable in the field of Vehicle Finance to help me understand if I have a possibility of overturning this case, as I have no doubt at all that my car should be classed as a part exchange and a deposit and it is blatantly written in the legislation that the finance companies are bound by. I would massively appreciate if someone can help me decipher this legislation and its application in the sense of my HP agreement, I simply do not understand how I can trade in my car and it not be classed as a part exchange, or a deposit. Similarly, if someone is able to find the exact wording of the terms and conditions of how the Diesel Scrappage Scheme was managed in 2018 that would be an absolute life saver! Thanks so much in advance, this is not a straight forward nor a well documented case but I believe I am onto something and I believe there will be other people in my position who have lost their cars without knowing this clause and could well be entitled to reclaim all sums under the agreement
    • we know them well. you TOTALLY ignore them. NO DCA is a BAILIFF  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Car dealer CAR HUB LONDON LIMITED trying to stall/evade/dodge their responsibilities Claim Issued ***Judgment***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looks that way...the court should have sent you a copy of their defence..if not request it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Their defence arrived. It sounds a lot of waffle to be honest, similar to the emails waffle when they were trying to fob me off and delay me.

How do I reply to this? Do I make my own list or do I reply to each item individually?

court p3.jpg

court p2.jpg

court p1.jpg

court p4.jpg

There is no requirement to respond to the defence pre allocation....I would complete the DQ and await court directions...you can respond point by point within your witness statement...which you will be required to submit after allocation.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Well as claimant you should always be open to mediation..mediation is not a case of showing any weakness or opting for anything less than what your claim originally requires.Mediation can be an opportunity to resolve matters without the need to progress further and still attain what you require without increasing costs and courts time.

And of course the court expects all parties to participate in mediation irrespective.

as claimant you should always be open to mediation..mediation is not a case of showing any weakness or opting for anything less than what your claim originally requires.Mediation can be an opportunity to resolve matters without the need to progress further and still attain what you require without increasing costs and courts time.

True

And of course the court expects all parties to participate in mediation irrespective.

Yet, not true.

The courts expect all parties to "reasonably consider" Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), not to "participate .... irrespective"

Mediation is one form (albeit the most common) of ADR.

If Mediation is the form of ADR chosen, the obligation is to reasonable consider it, not to participate.

If a party has considered ADR and not unreasonably decided there is a reason not to use it, this will protect them from possible sanction (the costs implication of para 11 of the Practice Direction on pre-action protocol)

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct#8.1

The OP has already come up with a point that can show mediation was considered but reasonable decision not to partake was reached : futility.

ok thank you Andy, I'm guessing the mediation is pointless as there is no middle ground really

If correct, then there is no point to mediation (although it may still be useful to clarify areas of agreement or where disagreement persists).

Other grounds where ADR can be considered but still reasonable rejected exist including e.g. Where the cost of ADR is disproportionate to the value of the case.

Let me re phrase for the pedantic.... all parties are invited to participate in ADR. if the case is suitable as decided by the court

11. If proceedings are issued, the parties may be required by the court to provide evidence that ADR has been considered. A party’s silence in response to an invitation to participate or a refusal to participate in ADR might be considered unreasonable by the court and could lead to the court ordering that party to pay additional court costs.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct#8.1

Might be considered unreasonable.

Which is why (as part of standard disclosure in tracks other than small claims) a Witness Statement stating why ADR has been considered and not used is required. The standard direction is

At all stages the parties must consider settling this litigation by any means of Alternative Dispute Resolution (including Mediation); any party not engaging in any such means proposed by another must serve a witness statement giving reasons within 21 days of that proposal; such witness statement must not be shown to the trial judge until questions of costs arise.

Even this points to the fact that a party doesn't HAVE to use ADR, just be prepared to explain why they (reasonably) didn't!

BTW : The OP doesn't need to make such a witness statement if their case remains in Small Claims Track.

Whether or not it is considered pedantic, there is a difference between "required to consider" and "required to participate .... irrespective"

There is no requirement to participate irrespective.

The court can look at if a refusal to participate is reasonable or not.

Futility is a reason the court is likely to accept, as it makes the cost of ADR disproportionate to the benefit.

Halsey v Milton Keynes General NHS Trust [2004] EWCA Civ 576, [2004] 4 All ER 920 is the case that lays out how the court should judge "reasonably consider", and one of the factors is "whether the ADR had a reasonable prospect of success".

If the OP reasonably believes "Entrenched positions would mean the mediation had no prospect of success" (and they pretty much said that, unprompted!), they could persuade a court they "reasonably considered" ADR, and reasonably declined it.

"Must participate in Mediation .... irrespective" remains poor advice, for the reasons stated ; that isn't pedantry.

• Confused 1

Thanks you for all your responses, so my next question, given the email discussion in post 1, do you believe it is futile to try and reach anything via mediation?

I will accept nothing but the return of the car and a full refund plus my costs, that is not negotiable. I don't want to keep the car as it is clearly neglected and nothing like they described.

Point 14 of his defence made me laugh, I didn't know driving an S Class Mercedes-Benz above 70mph would create substantial wear and cause severe judder, what a clown.

The defence is very unorganised, the law is clear in that a consumer is entitled to reject a vehicle within 30 days should an issue occur, or after 30 days should an issue occur and an attempt at a repair has been made but is not successful.

With reference to Bartlett v Sidney Marcus Ltd 1965, I'm fairly sure the buyer in this case purchased the vehicle at a discount due to the alleged "fault" with the car, and was offered to buy it at the full price and the fault rectified, but chose to buy it with the fault at a discount.

Is it true what he says in his defence that you refused him to inspect the fault?

Would that prevent rejection (within the first 30 days) under The Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Did the OP refuse inspection or merely refuse to drive the car back to be inspected?

If the OP would allow inspection at/close to their home, or if the seller could have arranged for the car to be transported back to the seller's premises, is that "refusal to allow them to inspect"?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20/enacted

does s20(7)(b) require the OP to drive the car back / arrange its return, or merely allow the trader to collect it for inspection. Unless the T's and C's of the sale say the former, it is the latter! (which the OP offered!).

Would that prevent rejection (within the first 30 days) under The Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Did the OP refuse inspection or merely refuse to drive the car back to be inspected?

If the OP would allow inspection at/close to their home, or if the seller could have arranged for the car to be transported back to the seller's premises, is that "refusal to allow them to inspect"?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20/enacted

does s20(7)(b) require the OP to drive the car back / arrange its return, or merely allow the trader to collect it for inspection. Unless the T's and C's of the sale say the former, it is the latter! (which the OP offered!).

I understand what you mean, It's just that from his defence it sounds like he was told of the fault and never got any proof that such fault actually existed

I understand what you mean, It's just that from his defence it sounds like he was told of the fault and never got any proof that such fault actually existed

That may be what the dealer is claiming, or trying to claim, but the OP has stated their version : that the dealer was insisting he drive the car back to them, when he offered for them to collect it or inspect it locally.

Point 14 of his defence made me laugh, I didn't know driving an S Class Mercedes-Benz above 70mph would create substantial wear and cause severe judder, what a clown.

The defence is very unorganised, the law is clear in that a consumer is entitled to reject a vehicle within 30 days should an issue occur, or after 30 days should an issue occur and an attempt at a repair has been made but is not successful.

With reference to Bartlett v Sidney Marcus Ltd 1965, I'm fairly sure the buyer in this case purchased the vehicle at a discount due to the alleged "fault" with the car, and was offered to buy it at the full price and the fault rectified, but chose to buy it with the fault at a discount.

Nor at any point do I suggest I've exceeded 70mph

I was not made aware of any faults on this car, surely a dealer would write that on a receipt and have you sign it if there was

Nor at any point do I suggest I've exceeded 70mph

I was not made aware of any faults on this car, surely a dealer would write that on a receipt and have you sign it if there was

Exactly. Hence why I stated the defence was nonsense, the case law quoted isn't relevant to your claim.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just doing my DQ, at the bottom of the instructions it says "and serve copies on all other parties."

Do I have to send one to dodgy car ltd?

To their Solicitors ...yes...if no solicitors then yes to the defendant...its expected that all parties are civil in litigation...so serve him a copy and ask that he reciprocate,.

Andy

Still time for them to serve you a copy ...what date must it be submitted by ? Its not a showstopper if the defendant fails to serve you a copy of theirs....you are the claimant ..you set the standard.

• 5 weeks later...

The case has now been transferred to my local court and I have an order for both parties to send each other and the court the expert evidence.

It is nice to know it is progressing now and we are local, do I have to send the original documents to the court or is a copy ok?

Originals to the court (copies for the defendant)...but retain copies for your file.

• 3 months later...