NIP issue with Husband

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, I'm usually asleep by this time but totally stressed with a situation because of my incompetent husband. I received a NIP for a speeding offence in Oct 15, I am the registered keeper. As I wasn't the driver of the vehicle, I signed the form and dated it and gave it to my husband to fill in the details. At the time we were separated, so I left it at his and told him to deal with it. It's August now and god only knows the truth whats happened but one of his mates was called into court to fill in a statutory declaration because he wasn't driving the vehicle at the time. I've come to know now they're going to probably going to get in touch with me now for an explanation. I will tell them that my husband should have dealt with it, but will I be in trouble for this as I've never done anything wrong or been in trouble before :-(:mad2:

So just to confirm, the original NIP was signed and dated by me but all other details were left to my husband to fill in.

why did you get him to fill it in. ALl you had to do was supply his details and send it back. Also, one of his friends filled in a stat dec for him?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well, I'm usually asleep by this time but totally stressed with a situation because of my incompetent husband. I received a NIP for a speeding offence in Oct 15, I am the registered keeper. As I wasn't the driver of the vehicle, I signed the form and dated it and gave it to my husband to fill in the details. At the time we were separated, so I left it at his and told him to deal with it. It's August now and god only knows the truth whats happened but one of his mates was called into court to fill in a statutory declaration because he wasn't driving the vehicle at the time. I've come to know now they're going to probably going to get in touch with me now for an explanation. I will tell them that my husband should have dealt with it, but will I be in trouble for this as I've never done anything wrong or been in trouble before :-(:mad2:

So just to confirm, the original NIP was signed and dated by me but all other details were left to my husband to fill in.

Just to clarify : you are the registered keeper?

You received (as RK) an NIP for speeding, and a notice requiring you as RK to identify the driver (under s 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988)?

You signed it and dated it, but instead of identifying the driver you passed it to your husband (but S172 requires the RK to complete it!)

Was your husband driving?

Somehow, one of your hisband's friends got nominated as driver, on a form you had signed and dated?

They then got (or were going to get) prosecuted, but signed a statuatory declaration declaring they weren't the driver??

Forget about the speeding itself.

If the friend was driving he can no longer be prosecuted for the speeding due to the time elapsed but will be facing prosecution for peverting the course of justice by a false stat dec.

If the friend was driving : you and your husband need to make your own statuatory declarations and let the friend "take his medicine".

If the friend wasn't driving, but got named on the s172 form you face a problem - prosecution for failing to complete the form if they accept that you merely signed it and dated it, or for perverting the course of justice if they believe there was a conspiracy to mislead.

I think you need to get formal legal advice,

Salutory lesson to others: Do what the NIP instructs you to do in the first place, or things will come back and bite you on the bum.

You should have simply filled in the details of who you believe was driving, or say that it wasn't you but you don't know who it was as the vehicle wasn't in your possession at the time, and sent it back to the appropriate constabulary.

When the NIP arrived I asked him and he said one of his mates was driving the vehicle on the date in question, he said leave the form with me I'll get the details from him.

It's my husband I'm talking about, I trust him and didn't think this was going to come back, I thought he dealt with it. My husband is not giving me the full details, however I will tell the court or police what happened, but will they take it up with him or am I responsible for this mess?

He says one of his mates filled in the details and sent the NIP off. However whichever mate it was obviously provided the wrong details hence one of his friends going to file a statutory declaration.

He's been called into court once already, but they've called him in again on the 31st. I'm worried as anything about my job and my kids.

I wish I had filled the details myself now.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.