• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Quick Response from Halifax ***WON***

scouser9
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6326 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I take it you have given them 14 days to respond in your LBA and when that is up you can file with MCOL. Not sure if we have some srossed wires here LOL.

Good Luck

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again Tezviper,

Yes I have allowed the 14 days from the day they receive the LBA in fact with it being xmas and all, I have given them until the 28th of Dec which is 2 days to get my letter 14 days to act upon. Brings it in around that date do you agree.

I posted the rejection letter the day after as well, I think this all follows suit would you say.

Now if they do not reply by the 28th then I will file mcol straight away.

I think I am getting claim the right bug, I have just sent Moorcroft a S.A.R. as well bloody hell who's next eh?

Keep claiming the right

And thanks again

Mikey

S.A.R. Handed In to Halifax 13/11/06:wink:

S.A.R. Handed In To Abbey 17/11/06:wink:

Request for Payment Sent to Halifax 29/11/06:wink:

50% Of claim offered by The Halifax 09/12/2006:-|

LBA letter sent 11/12/2006:wink:

Refusal in part of Payment sent 12/12/2006

Reply from Abbey as above Recieved 12/12/2006

S.A.R. request sent to Moorcroft via Recorded 13/12/2006

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

If you find that I have helped in anyway please click on the scales to left of the screen- Thank you

Advice & opinions of Scouser9 are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

50% Of claim offered by The Halifax 09/12/2006

LBA letter sent 11/12/2006

Halifax settled with £4200 agreed amount 27/12/2006

Survey Submitted and Donation Made 02/01/2007

PPI Claim Sent To Halifax 25/11/2008

PPI Claim Halifax Won 31/12/2008

PPI Claim Sent To Carcraft 22/12/2008

i sent my letter requesting they refund my charges on the 7th Dec by recorded delivery, yesterday the halifax sent me a letter to say they would deal with it with in 4 weeks......do i cound the weekends in the 14 days i gave them or is it just working days

statements requested 23rd Nov charged £5

statements arrived 28th Nov

sent first letter claiming £1264 on 7th Dec to halifax

halifax replied standard letter 13th Dec

second letter sent 22nd Dec :p

Halifax sent letter 22nd Dec offering £1087 full & final only £177 short of the full amount:eek:

Accepted the offer on 28th Dec on to the next one.......

Great thenks for that

statements requested 23rd Nov charged £5

statements arrived 28th Nov

sent first letter claiming £1264 on 7th Dec to halifax

halifax replied standard letter 13th Dec

second letter sent 22nd Dec :p

Halifax sent letter 22nd Dec offering £1087 full & final only £177 short of the full amount:eek:

Accepted the offer on 28th Dec on to the next one.......

David they take charges out of your account on all days of the week so why should you count weekends as days off the 14. I would not give them an inch

Go for it Rocky hahahah

Keep claiming the right

And thanks again

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

If you find that I have helped in anyway please click on the scales to left of the screen- Thank you

Advice & opinions of Scouser9 are offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

David they take charges out of your account on all days of the week so why should you count weekends as days off the 14. I would not give them an inch

Go for it Rocky hahahah

Keep claiming the right

And thanks again

Mikey

Scouser 9

I think you've misunderstood my previous post. I said 14 days is 14days including workdays and weekends. In other words you've agreed with me!!!

David

Hi Gang and all the best for the Christmas Break, I have just finished my last shift until 2nd of January so I will be getting stuck into all my threads and Banks and CC's and Santa if he does not bring me my fu£$£%& bike. (hahaha)

Any way guys you all know that I put a claim in for £4451 and they offered me £2400 and the refusal letter was hot off the press. With court application date almost here.

So I was surprised to get a phone call from the Halifax by a man called John Garatt, he asked how was I and all the usual flannel then he asked what would I accept against the claim instead of all the court nuisance.

I told him that all I wanted was my money as above and advised he was being taped ( I'm a liar now) and that when we went to court that all expense's and interest where going to be added and court cost's and all the time and letters and everything that it as cost me so far.

And said he can understand that I am not happy with the charges being so large,and that I was unhappy, that it takes 10 days to clear cheques and it was that sole cause that nearly always put in the red,had I thought about closing my account.

He went on to say would I accept £3900 and that would be his final offer and that it was up to me to make the judgement wether they would lose in court.

I asked would he put that in writing, he agreed and we said goodbye.

Now guys this is my question as you already know that I asked for £4451, his offer is very near that. And christmas is so very close now, do you think I should accept or still go on, I know will say its up to me, but what if it was you.

Thanks Guys

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

As you say Scouser, the Choice Is Yours;)

Personally, as the Halifax nearly cost me my life two years ago, I intend to settle for no less than 100% of my claim and I am not letting them get away with saving a penny.

But whatever choice you make will be the right one for you:)

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

Same routine as I got Scouser9. My call came from the Newcastle office, but they seem to have people all over the place making these calls right now.

I got my letter and sent the http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejection-settlement-offer.html letter. I heard no more after that, and I was due to file in court today (22nd). But, I called one of his colleagues in Birmingham the other day (see my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/39442-old-dj-halifax.html) and he agreed to go higher.

In some cases they are giving 100%, mine was a little under, but he also agreed that they would not persue my overdraft amount of £174, which had been a condition of the first offer. In effect I settled for more than I originally claimed.

It suits some - but it's up to you of course. If you want to claim the extra 8% when it goes to court stage then proceed in that direction. If you feel that getting the charges back is good enough, and that's what you set out to claim, then give them a call and ask. If you don't agree then it still goes to court, simple as that.

The problem now is that they may be away until the new year. It does seem to be best going back to the person who sent your offer letter, but it seems any of these people can deal with you if you give them a reference number. Quite a few names mentioned around the threads, not only in mine.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks again Guys for your remarks and points have been made. I have read your thread Hillards and agree whole heartedly.

Well the man John Garrat promised the offer would be in a letter today, well I got a letter from a man called Johnathon Park with an offer of £3500 not the £3900 promised from Mr Garrat, so I will be sending another refusal letter and with this letter they have made my mind up for me. ALL THE WAY TO THE COURT NOW.

I really was thinking of taking the £3900 because of needs, but I will not be bamboozled to taking anything less than whats due now.

I really do appreiciate all your comments and do think them over as everybody should. So please do not think I make rash decisions. This forum is the best thing since sliced bread.

I have talked none stop about this forum to anybody that will listen, I have posted this site with everything I have posted to friends ie e-mails, and with all the things I sell on E-Bay.

I have also been asked to do a presentation at work for at least 20 people concerning the ways to claim, of course all documents that are needed people will be pointed to this forum.

I have a couple of friends who cannot read & write properly (Its a shame) so I have promised that I will help them all the way through the process, they said that they would see me right and I stated that they should donate to the site rather than me.

Keep claiming the right

And thanks again

Mikey

Second Offer from the Halifax recieved 23/12/2006

Refusal Letter in part sent to Halifax 23/12/2006

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

WAIT!!!

The letter from Mr Park is possibly one already prepared and sent in response to an earlier letter. Hold on for a letter from Mr Garrat - it should be with you soon.

You should find that he has sent a form to complete and a letter covering your telephone conversation. If you have made an agreement then that's it - you can't go forward to the court stage unless there is something else that prevents you from confirming acceptance of an offer you have agreed to accept verbally.

My guess is that this is a simple case of jumping the gun and reacting to a letter that was sent before your higher offer was made. If you've not had a confirmation letter from him personally then it's not in relation to your settlement.

It could be argued that sending a letter refusing Mr Park's offer will not affect your settlement for a higher amount, as even they should see that you reacted to that as not complying with the agreement you made. Rejecting that offer is OK by anyone's standards. Mr Park is at the Newcastle office, I'm not sure about Mr Garrat - you may know from the phone number you called - 0191 235 xxxx is the Newcastle one

Hopefully you've not sent the letter yet - if you don't get one from Mr Garrat in a reasonable time, call him again, tell him about the other letter. They are not out to cheat you...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Thanks Hillards for the response,

But I have not agreed anything with anybody as yet and they only have to the 28th to do a deal anyway. Thats the deadline from the LBA I sent

I have already recieved my N1 forms to fill in and then lodge them with the court on that date,albeit I have not filled them in as yet.I am studying the way in which to fill in claim and everything and I have to work the spreadsheet so that all interest is calculated properly,

Thanks again

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

Fair enough, from the post I took it that you had agreed something with Mr Garrat, and he was confirming it.

If you prefer to type your N1's then try this link - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/844-n1-claims-form-pdf.html

Nice and neat...

Thanks Hillards,

I have already have the document thanks for your help, well today as come and gone, still no letter of Mr Garratt so I will have to proceed to the court stage no anyway.

Thanks

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

Hiya Guys

Need Help here with my N1 form anyone around after the xmas festivities.

I have added my charges up on the spreadsheet and when intereste is added it comes to £5451-08p will this hinder my fast track course or will the court enter it under the another heading

What do I put on my N1 , at this momemt in time I have just entered

Claimants Name - me & my address

defendants name - Halifax & their adddress

brief details of claim -

1.Claimant has an account XXXXXXXX with the defendant, opened May 2000.

2.Since 01/05/00 the Defendant debited charges and interest in respect of purported breaches of contract.

3.Defendant is aware of all details as a list of charges has already been supplied. Another copy will be sent.

4. Claimant contends: (a) The charges exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the breaches; (b) The Term permitting the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and at Common Law.

5. Claimant claims: (a) return of the amounts debited of £4763; (b) Interest per S.69 County Courts Act 1984 of 8% - £727,08, continuing at 8% until judgment or settlement at a daily rate of £0.xx;

6. Alternatively, if the charges are a fee for a service, then they must be reasonable under S.15 of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

7. Costs allowed by the Court.

what do I put as daily rate in statement 5.

in Value at the moment I have put my total from spreadsheet with 8% interest i: £5490-08p

What else do I need to enter before printing off forms please advise as these have to be entered by the 28th Of December

Thanks in Advance

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

Hi there, and merry chrimbob!

Just waiting for Halifax's aknowledgement of my claim at the mo.....kinda hoping with the hols and all, they might forget!

What you have on your form at the moment so far looks good. But in 'brief details of claim' it is sufficient to put

"Money claim as outlined in 'Particulars of Claim'"

check out http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/48208-claim-form.html

This was a help to me when at this stage, and i just adjusted what was there for my own circumstances (with my own particulars, obviously)

check out my thread too http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/42501-wil-world-halifax-least.html

this has stuff on particulars, with help form Bong's thread, amongst others. Feel free to pillage anything that may apply! In the particulars on my thread, look at the way I've worded the section about "interest continuing at this rate until day of judgement...' If you word it like i have, there is no need to calculate a specific rate. This is especially important if claiming compounded interest, as the amount changes, and the rate can be odd to work out.

Wil.

BANK: Halifax

CHARGES: 2994

CONTRACTUAL INTEREST: (29.8%)

PRELIM SENT: 4/10/06

ACKNOWLEDGED: 18/10/06

PULTERY OFFER RECEIVED: 26/10/06

NEW & IMPROVED PRELIM SENT: 7/11/06

FINAL LBA : 17/11/06

N1 SUBMITTED: 18/12/06 (deemed served 20/12)

Hiya Guys

I have added my charges up on the spreadsheet and when intereste is added it comes to £5451-08p will this hinder my fast track course or will the court enter it under the another heading

Sorry dude, just noticed this bit. If i understand correctly, if a claim is below 5,000, it is eligable for the small claims track, if it is between this and 10,000, it is eligable for fast track, and anything over this is whats known as multi track.

The benefit of being in the small claims is that you are in no way eligable for court costs in the (unlikely) event you lose, if you are in fast track, or multi, I am not too sure. I am, however, pretty sure i saw somebody, somewhere on here say you MAY be eligable for their costs in fast track, IF you were to lose, to the tune of about 750, but i can in no way back that up....maybe someone will help us out here??

Hope i've understood you correctly, and I'm not saying stuff you already know!

BANK: Halifax

CHARGES: 2994

CONTRACTUAL INTEREST: (29.8%)

PRELIM SENT: 4/10/06

ACKNOWLEDGED: 18/10/06

PULTERY OFFER RECEIVED: 26/10/06

NEW & IMPROVED PRELIM SENT: 7/11/06

FINAL LBA : 17/11/06

N1 SUBMITTED: 18/12/06 (deemed served 20/12)

The way I've read it on here is that it's the figure before interest added that needs to be under 5k for small claims.

But as I haven't got that far myself, and won't need to worry about this because I'm not anywhere near the 5k limit, I'll shut up now and let someone who knows what they're talking about answer...:rolleyes:;)

And I believe the daily interest is calculated by the amount you're claiming (before interest) x 0.00022, but again let someone who knows definitely answer

HALIFAX

30th Oct 06 - 18th Jan 07 - Success in claiming £3617.95

HALIFAX 2nd claim

5th Mar - 16th Apr - Success in claiming £176

EGG (3 accounts)

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

17th Mar 07 - Paperwork received - bits missing

19th Mar - Non-compliance for missing bits posted

9th Apr - ICO complaint filed

BARCLAYCARD

20th Jan 07 - SAR posted

21st Mar - Statements received

23rd Mar - Prelim posted

31st Mar - Offer for £30 rec'd

10th Apr - LBA sent

Well Guys

Just to keep you updated about my fight with the Halfax,

I originally put a claim in for £4451, and I was offered £2400 (refusal went in), Then I was offered £3500 (refusal letter went in).

Today as I was going to court today and thought a quick telephone call to the Bank asking them for an improved offer before I place court proceedings today and was offered £4200 as a final offer, and you all may think I am weak but I have accepted it as full payment and with the promise that it will be paid into my account by friday 07/01/2007 with no conditions attached.

It suits me as I am absolutely skint espeically at this time of year.

But after all said and done a win is a win agree, and this is a win for me as it is.:D :D :D

Now I can concentrate on my Abbey account and my other thread with Moorcrofts,

Thanks for all your help guys and girls without your help and fortitude I would have still been at first base .

Can one of the mods please add me to the winners list and thanks again everyone.

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

Well Guys and Gals,

I have filled in survey, but I am sorry to say that you will have to wait until the money goes in the bank before I can make a donation, hey but I will.

Its been a real help to me and I hope other people find this site as useful as me.

It is a FIVE STAR FORUM ***** brilliant.

Me and her indoors are extremely happy with the results so far, now its onwards and upwards from here,I have to say this you guys and gals are the best.

Thanks very very much.

All you guys who are just starting your rights back could not be in better hands.

Thanks

Mikey and Mrs Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

Thanks Claire,

Just remember that last phone call did it for me, try yourself when your time draws near.

Its a great feeling it really is.

Good Luck with your claim and I hope you get what you want out of it, REMEMBER WHAT YOU WANT.

Mikey

Keep claiming the right

Mikey

I'll update your thread title when you've got the money. Looks like a prosperous new year for you.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.