Wrong NI Number

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I've been employed by the same company since April 15

I recently moved and thought I must change my address with the pension company so tried logging in online

I kept getting a message saying my details were incorrect so I called the helpline and discovered my Payroll dept had given them the wrong NI number (1 digit is wrong)

I then checked my payslips and yes, it's wrong on there too

I've informed my payroll dept but do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Hi,

I would also ask for a National Insurance Statement.

You can do this for free online at the following link...

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/NIStatement

If any gaps of National Insurance payments then your State pension will be affected and decreased & any rights to benefits (if you ever need them) will also be affected.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Hello there. I've moved you to the employment forum, I think the guys there may know more about this.

As stigman says, you want to make sure that your State pension and other benefits aren't affected. I would say you also need to check that your income tax has been paid over correctly.

I asked my OH who works with pensions companies and payroll. He says if payroll messed up by inputting the wrong digit, then they should be notifying the pension company, the DWP and HMRC who will want this done officially by payroll.

It shouldn't be your problem, but you will need to monitor this to make sure you don't lose out.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

I completed the online National Insurance Statement - this says it could take a few weeks

I also spoke to my payroll person at work and asked her to contact HMRC, she told me she doesn't need to! That they would know she had been using a wrong number?!?!

Hmrc will not know if she has been using the wrong Nino. She needs to correct it, is there anybody above her/colleague? As far as I can tell they don't match up that joe blogs had paid NI to joe dandy and should be for joe blogs, there are lots of people with similar name/dob that it could be for.

I took the matter to the operations manager who has emailed her asking her to get it sorted

The thing is I am taking over this persons role and she's being a bit of a [edited] about things, she won't let go of control

I'll ask her again on Monday to speak to HMRC

She said that the payroll software would have flagged up if she was using the wrong Nino... I've been doing payroll for 20 + years and never known for that to happen

Edited by honeybee13
Spacing.

You need to take control of this personally as the payroll person is obviously such a control freak they are now incompetent.

As above not only contact HMRC yourself but also any personal pension providers and obtain statements for the last 2 years

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

I've just spoken to the ops manager again who is going to insist she calls HMRC

It's a bit of a joke really!

Write to HMRC yourself, just insisting that the this woman calls is not good enough, you need any clarification in writing.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

I've been told this morning that by changing the number on the payroll HMRC are informed by the RTI???

I want to put something in writing to her but I dont know how to word it

Any pointers?

Really do appreciate your help guys

Well, I'm not a techie, but I find that hard to believe.

Why doesn't she do what people seem to think is the right thing and write to HMRC?

Have you written to them yourself yet? Edit: Have you had a payslip with the right NI number on it since you told payroll?

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Addition.

I've requested a National Insurance Statement online and stated my employer had been using the wrong NIno

I don't know what she's playing at to be honest. Like I said, I was supposed to take over from her back in May but she's refusing to hand anything over to me and as she is friends with the boss, I guess she feels she can do as she pleases

I need to write to her explaining that RTI doesn't ensure HMRC are made aware of the error but just need help with the wording so she doesn't flip a gasket lol

That's a shame, presumable future ones will be correct?

I'd be interested to hear what others think, but I'm wondering if, rather than do battle with this person, it might be easier for you to write yourself. Also, there's that number in the MSE thread that you could try.

HB

I've Just spoken to HMRC myself

The number to call has changed from the link you gave me honeybee

It is now 0300 200 3200

They have told me that she needs to amend the RTI record for 2015-2016 tax year and to do that she needs to run an early year update. Once thats done, by amending my NIno the RTI will amend the record so she's half right I suppose

Just her reluctance to do anything was peeing me off!

Thank you all for your help

:)