• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Six year old disabled boy being threatended with bailiff enforcement.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A SIX year old disabled boy from Swindon is receiving letters from the courts and the threat of bailiffs – for not paying a penalty charge notice.

Brandon Blades, is autistic and can’t cope with crowds, public transport or unfamiliar spaces – he has been provided with a car as part of his disability allowance to help him get around.

The car is registered in his name and displays a blue disabled badge which exempts his family from needing a permit to park outside their home.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14506018.Courts_chase_Swindon_six_year_old_in_parking_ticket_fiasco/

This illustrates issues around the Registered Keeper, and Data Protection A Motability car is usually registerd in the name of the recipient of the benefit, if the boy is RK then they will go after him, but as he is a minor they cannot lawfully enforce against him, nor take him to court. TEC wouldn't deal with the mother on DPA grounds, the council are being very silly and it looks like Common Purpose (pursuit of Revenue) has won over Common Sense yet again. This will probably end up with a bailiff at the door, after all the council will want their money. Issue is would the enforcement against a 6 year old end up with bailiffs being arrested if police were called as it would be unlawful to try to seize his goods? They would probably try to "Take Control" of the parents belongings. The EA would be in a sticky situation as they would be acting in good faith on instructions from the council.

The whole sorry mess could have been sorted if TEC and the council had looked at what was in front of them properly. Would make a great comedy skit on Can't Pay.

One for Grumpy would the EA know the age of the debtor before they turned up at the door?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Brandon Blades, is autistic and can’t cope with crowds, public transport or unfamiliar spaces – he has been provided with a car as part of his disability allowance to help him get around.

The car is registered in his name and displays a blue disabled badge which exempts his family from needing a permit to park outside their home.

I am not familiar with the rules and regulations regarding Motability, but surely it cannot be the case that parents can register the vehicle in the name of their six year old austic child?

This illustrates issues around the Registered Keeper, and Data Protection A Motability car is usually registerd in the name of the recipient of the benefit, if the boy is RK then they will go after him, but as he is a minor they cannot lawfully enforce against him, nor take him to court. TEC wouldn't deal with the mother on DPA grounds, the council are being very silly and it looks like Common Purpose (pursuit of Revenue) has won over Common Sense yet again. This will probably end up with a bailiff at the door, after all the council will want their money. Issue is would the enforcement against a 6 year old end up with bailiffs being arrested if police were called as it would be unlawful to try to seize his goods? They would probably try to

Take control of the parents belongings.

The whole sorry mess could nave been sorted if TEC and the council had looked at what was in front of them properly. Would make a great comedy skit on Can't Pay.

This is all about money and nothing else really.

Parking tickets were originally a way of stopping cars causing disruption to other road users or to ensure fair usage. But it has now become a huge industry, with Councils, TEC and Enforcement companies. TEC can't handle the volume and many appeals just seem to get rejected. They also don't appear to help people with enquiries. Councils don't appear that interested in taking ownership of complaints, as to them it is a numbers game, in trying to gain the revenues while avoiding admin costs.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The whole sorry mess could have been sorted if TEC and the council had looked at what was in front of them properly.

The Traffic Enforcement Centre are free of blame in this respect. They merely 'register the debt' on behalf of the local authority. One of their other roles is process Witness Statements. In this respect, it would seem that the mother filed a witness statement and signed it with her name. As this name did match the name on the registration, her application has been rejected.

The solution would be for the local authority to use their discretion to cancel the penalty charge notice. The mother needs to change the V5c to avoid such a thing happening again.

I am not familiar with the rules and regulations regarding Motability, but surely it cannot be the case that parents can register the vehicle in the name of their six year old austic child?

Presume with Motability, that the car must be registered to the person it is provided to. But surely a person aged under 16, can never be in control of a vehicle and cannot therefore be its keeper ?

Question for Motability and DVLA

Presume with Motability, that the car must be registered to the person it is provided to. But surely a person aged under 16, can never be in control of a vehicle and cannot therefore be its keeper ?

Question for Motability and DVLA

They could solve this by Parent being RK with "on behalf of XXXXX".

I agree with UB, it's all about the money.

As it stands there seems to be nothing preventing a vehicle being registered in the name of a cat, dog or any pet.

This one will probably end with a bailiff attending and pressuring the parent to pay.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Found this info from a DVLA FOI response.

"The register maintained by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)is based on vehicles and the registered keepers who are responsible for their use and taxing on the roads.

Vehicle registration and licensing is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 (as amended). The Act does not impose any age restrictions for the purposes of vehicle registration.

There is no legal requirement for the person purporting to keep a vehicle to provide evidence of age. This information is provided on a voluntary basis and it is therefore possible for a minor to register a vehicle. However, if the Agency is made aware that a minor is applying to be a registered keeper, the application, as you can appreciate, would be refused on policy grounds.

If a parent or guardian has registered the minor as the registered keeper because the vehicle is used to transport/aid the minor, this is incorrect. If the parent or guardian, is the person who is responsible for taxing and using the vehicle on the road then it is the parent or guardian details that must be shown as the registered keeper. "

If a parent or guardian has registered the minor as the registered keeper because the vehicle is used to transport/aid the minor, this is incorrect. If the parent or guardian, is the person who is responsible for taxing and using the vehicle on the road then it is the parent or guardian details that must be shown as the registered keeper. "

Thank you UB.

As I suspected, the parents seems to be responsible for this mess up.

I would not think for one minute that the local authority would apply for a warrant of control, so bailiff enforcement will not be an issue. As I have said above, discretion seems to be the order of the day.

Thanks for that UB.

This is a new one for me having not considered it before.

The DVLA state that if the registered keeper is a minor then the application would usually be refused however, there is no obligation on the applicant to state their age so the DVLA would not know.

I found this slightly frivolous item

http://tinyurl.com/zvpj8ux

This is a grey area as I can't find anything on the Motability site about this however, it looks like they are the keeper as they keep the V5 for tax/ insurance purposes but as the lease may be in the minors name, this cannot be legal. This is either a cock up by the parents or Motability as a minor cannot enter into a contract

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Silverfox

I suspect parent/guardian sign relevant contract including terms of usage with Motability.

There is reference to new rules on the Motability site about the usage of their vehicles, to prevent them mainly being used by other people, when not for the assistance of the disabled person.

Does seem to be a loophole that there is no specific law preventing a child being registered with DVLA and parents using the car avoiding any PCN's.

The company/council issuing the ticket wouldn't know the age of the keeper.

The courts wouldn't know the age of the keeper.

The bailiff wouldn't know the age of the keeper.

A simple phone call without proof wouldn't be believed by any of the above.

It may end up with bailiffs until proof of age seen.

Yes, it does appear to be a loophole, but the parents/guardians should be ones to deal with this correctly by accepting the ticket it THIER name and then disputing ir paying it.

Leaving it until bailiffs arrive would be no one but the parents/guardians fault.

Yes, we would attempt to take control until proof has been sighted that the individual named on the warrant is under age.

"If the parent or guardian, is the person who is responsible for taxing and using the vehicle on the road then it is the parent or guardian details that must be shown as the registered keeper. "

I think you'll find that Motability is an exception to this. With Motability the RK has to be the person in receipt of the benefit, but there are two named drivers, with a third who can be added for an additional cost.

Entitlement to a blue badge does not mean you can park where you want however. Exceptions vary between authorities, but whilst you can park on double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, for example, you cannot park if there are hatches denoting a loading area, in a bus stop, by a dropped kerb, on a bend or brow of a hill etc... etc...

I mention this, as many think blue badge holders can park anywhere, and it is quite possible for a badge holder to be given a PCN even when displaying a blue badge.

Pursuing the child because they are the RK is stupid. Common sense will prevail in the end, but the legal machinations have to be followed.

I think you'll find that Motability is an exception to this. With Motability the RK has to be the person in receipt of the benefit, but there are two named drivers, with a third who can be added for an additional cost.

Pursuing the child because they are the RK is stupid. Common sense will prevail in the end, but the legal machinations have to be followed.

They are stupid enough to pursue the child, as the DPA supposedly prevents the TEC and council dealing with the parents as they are third parties. So as Grumpy says the bailiff will call and go after the parents goods until they see proof the RK is indeed a minor.

It used to be with Motability vehicles that the "hirer" was listed on the V5 c/o Motability Finance - not sure if this si still the case. If it is then any Bailiff attending would be forewarned they are dealing with a potentially vulnerable person who has a motability vehicle. It also allowed easy processing of any PCN's or motoring offences.

As far as the parents are concerned then they will have had to sign the finance docs as the child is not of age to do so. It has only made the press because of the boys age and no doubt the family have been dealing with some outsourced employee of a private company who cannot deviate from the script. They should have contacted their local Councillor and am sure this would have been resolved much quicker.

Of course it could be that the ticket was issued correctly in which case the driver should be taking responsibility for it.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It used to be with Motability vehicles that the "hirer" was listed on the V5 c/o Motability Finance - not sure if this si still the case. If it is then any Bailiff attending would be forewarned they are dealing with a potentially vulnerable person who has a motability vehicle. It also allowed easy processing of any PCN's or motoring offences.

Another 'safety net' is that if the debt is for an unpaid penalty charge notice, and the vehicle involved in the contravention was provided under the Motability Scheme, then the warrant of control contains a specific code identifying the VRM as being related to a Motability vehicle.

Accordingly, all enforcement companies are 'pre warned' of the likelyhood that the debtor may be 'vulnerable',

Does the piece say this is a motability car ?

Also of course enforcement cannot take place against a six year old as he would be a child under the TCE (the piece mentions bailiffs) s child is defined as someone under 16.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

DB:

The following is copied from the news article:

A SIX year old disabled boy from Swindon is receiving letters from the courts and the threat of bailiffs – for not paying a parking fine.

Brandon Blades, of Old Town, is autistic and can’t cope with crowds, public transport or unfamiliar spaces –
he has been provided with a car as part of his disability allowance to help him get around.

Also of course enforcement cannot take place against a six year old as he would be a child under the TCE (the piece mentions bailiffs) s child is defined as someone under 16.

looks like it might be Motability, if not the "Beneficial Interest" judgment might be used, the Bailiffs might ignore the rules take the car and/or go after the parents anyway. Looks like it might be a Residents parking permit argument, and the ticket was for not displaying a permit:

"The car is registered in his name and displays a blue disabled badge which exempts his family from needing a permit to park outside their home. "

The whole affair is ludicrous. Perhaps the bailiffs might want his toys even though they are exempt.

What springs to mind on reading this thread is the Article actually mentions "Permit" but for what?

Could it be that the Local Authority have imposed a residents permit scheme? we don't know.

Something to be aware of with Motability now is the Hirer does not see a V5 as this is all held electronically with Motability.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Residents Parking schemes are another cash cow operation for the council, say £50 - £500 plus per permit, there may be a concessionary FREE Permit for Blue badge holders, but the Permit would still have to be displayed, so no display equals ticket even with badge on show.

Perhaps this is what happened to the unfortunate family.

What springs to mind on reading this thread is the Article actually mentions "Permit" but for what?

Could it be that the Local Authority have imposed a residents permit scheme? we don't know.

Something to be aware of with Motability now is the Hirer does not see a V5 as this is all held electronically with Motability.

Yes it is. Does the mobility section of the payment have to be used via motability. For instance I am aware that MB do not provide HP since earlier this year. So could the component not be used to buy a vehicle elsewhere ?

Perhaps this why it did not flag on the DVLA check.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS