The EU why can’t we go it alone?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am struggling to think what problems the EU presents to the UK. UK governments of all parties have quickly implemented most EU laws without any arguments and have even applied gold plating when passing legislation.

LBC's James O'Brien has done several phone ins where he has asked for specific EU issues people had a problem with and very few issues were raised. From memory it was only the power of vaccum cleaners and how various foods were subject to rules.

I am not convinved that Brexit would make any difference to the UK and it might just remove some rights people currently have. For example rights of movement, buying a holiday home abroad without facing more taxes than locals, being able to access local public healthcare in any EU country, EU arrest warrant, EU consumer rights across the whole of the EU, EU cross border use of courts.

If the UK left the EU, we would have years of negotiations and parliament spending most of the time processing bills to change tbe current laws. Do we really need this hassle, when the world is in such a mess ?

Regarding the rights of movement there would be no issue, see Switzerland and uk before the EU.

Buying a holiday home abroad without facing more taxes than locals: UK citizens who own properties abroad already pay more tax than locals in Italy and Spain, i don't know about the other countries but i have a feeling that it is the same.

Being able to access local public healthcare in any EU country: this is only available for emergencies, we are the only EU country allowing NHS migrants to come here and have planned operations for free. Again, in Italy and Spain you would need to pay, don't know about other countries but again, I suspect they would charge you.

EU arrest warrant: International arrest warrants work in the same way and surely the EU would let us know that they're looking for a dangerous individual. We won't become a criminals' gold land. EU consumer rights across the whole of the EU: Would our government scrap existing consumer law? Doubt it. And if you buy something from the EU now, don't think for a minute that the seller would be scared of your letter before action; only in Uk you can take a seller to court, in other EU countries the rule of thumb is 'sold as seen' unless you buy from a large organisation like Ikea. EU cross border use of courts: Believe me, you don't want to use foreign courts. Using Italy as an example, you are not allowed to represent yourself on any level of court. Legally you are allowed, but judges do not allow you to speak if you don't have a solicitor.

Also their rulings are laughable, my dad sued the management company of his building because they stole money.

It went to court and the judge awarded the management company legal costs despite admitting that they had stolen money.

Unfortunately my dad's solicitor had used the wrong form in one of the super complicated procedures and the judge said that he had to rule against my dad. Joke!

Does the EU still look great to you?

Yes?

Well, think about this then: Apparently we waste £60 million a day by giving it to the EU.

How many nurses and doctors, police officers, soldiers, public servants etc. could we employ if we saved this money?

Well, think about this then: Apparently we waste £60 million a day by giving it to the EU.

How many nurses and doctors, police officers, soldiers, public servants etc. could we employ if we saved this money?

A lot less than the £5-6Billion the bankers have awarded themselves in bonus for sweet fanny adams

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Does the EU still look great to you?

Yes?

I would prefer for the UK to remain part of the EU, as i think we are better to be part of something larger, than some little island full of small minded people who think the country is great. I am an internationalist, that prefers to look at the world as being a larger community of people.

Whether the UK votes for Brexit or not, we will still pay into the EU to have full access to the market and we will have to implement most EU law. For example i doubt that UK fisheries policy will be changed much, as most of the trawlers operate in international waters and share the seas with boats that come from many different countries. In regard to Agriculture, it is highly likely that the UK will maintain the same situation as applies under EU.

I would rather have European politicians overseeing the UK, than rely on the House of Lords, holding a UK government to account. The HOL is an unelected chamber with no government majority and the current government are increasingly trying to stop them amending their legislation, when they raise reasonable points. It is getting to the stage where the HOL is pointless. Also UK courts rarely apply rulings against UK government positions.

The EU and European courts are a healthy addition to the political system of the UK. While the UK has a first past the post system, it means a government can hold a majority with the votes of less than a quarter of those registered to vote. It is often the EU that ordinary British people look to gain employment and other rights that a UK government had been unwilling to accept.

There is also the financial position that Brexit would present. Pound Sterling has already reduced just with the referendum called. If people vote Brexit they are risking an unknown situation that might have an adverse effect on pensions, mortgages, savings etc.

Prior to the referendum people need facts, but i should imagine we won't get them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread