Claiming back overpayment of Tax and filling in P85

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3010 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Been having a bit of a nightmare at them moment regarding claiming my Tax back which I have overpaid. I was working in the UK up until 20 October 2015 last year and we then had to move across to Denmark (but I still live in UK)

Anyway, a few of the guys have all filled in their P85 form and some have received a cheque already with their over payment within a few weeks. I'm having a lot of trouble and they state because of the information I have provided I need to do a self assessment in April. I then managed to get a copy of my friends whom I work with and I copied it exactly but in Year 1,2 and 3 I wrote 220 days I would spend in the UK, when I should have put what he wrote which was 252. No idea why that matters which is strange? but I sent it off to them again which they said I could and again they sent me a letter saying because of the info I have provided. So I then sent in a third with the years at 252 instead of the 220.

Anyway speaking to the HMRC is difficult at times but they have now created a work item and hopefully this gets pushed to the back office but they have said it can take up to 5 days for them to get in touch regarding the form

Has anyone else had these issues when trying to claim an over payment of tax back? I have already been on the .gov website and worked out how much tax I should be due but if this all fails again then I'll just have to do the self assessment in April and hopefully then the HMRC see that I am due money back.

How easy is a self ass form to fill in? I have never done this before but I'm actually considering speaking to an accountant and seeing how much they charge, I'm from East coast Scotland beside Dundee so hopefully maybe around £2-300

Hi Guys,

Been having a bit of a nightmare at them moment regarding claiming my Tax back which I have overpaid. I was working in the UK up until 20 October 2015 last year and we then had to move across to Denmark (but I still live in UK)

Anyway, a few of the guys have all filled in their P85 form and some have received a cheque already with their over payment within a few weeks. I'm having a lot of trouble and they state because of the information I have provided I need to do a self assessment in April. I then managed to get a copy of my friends whom I work with and I copied it exactly but in Year 1,2 and 3 I wrote 220 days I would spend in the UK, when I should have put what he wrote which was 252. No idea why that matters which is strange? but I sent it off to them again which they said I could and again they sent me a letter saying because of the info I have provided. So I then sent in a third with the years at 252 instead of the 220.

Anyway speaking to the HMRC is difficult at times but they have now created a work item and hopefully this gets pushed to the back office but they have said it can take up to 5 days for them to get in touch regarding the form

Has anyone else had these issues when trying to claim an over payment of tax back? I have already been on the .gov website and worked out how much tax I should be due but if this all fails again then I'll just have to do the self assessment in April and hopefully then the HMRC see that I am due money back.

How easy is a self ass form to fill in? I have never done this before but I'm actually considering speaking to an accountant and seeing how much they charge, I'm from East coast Scotland beside Dundee so hopefully maybe around £2-300

Not sure you will get a response from anyone with the exacting knowledge needed.

I think people have problems with HMRC anyway, even when they don't have some of the more complicated issues you might have.

Is it worth employing an accountant ?

Surely it is just filling in the assessment forms with the information they ask for. They enter the data into their systems and it tells them what tax is due for the relevant period. If you have overpaid you get a refund.

I can remember my Dad questioning his tax asking for a refund and when they did the calculation, he owed them money. He did the calculation again and yes he did owe more.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...

Yes will be employing an accountant next month to fill in my self assessment

I've already done the calculation on the .gov website and they are due me around £3115

Every time I call them I'm speaking to a monkey, I have however managed to speak to the back office twice now

The last guy I spoke to Gareth from the back office said that he would make the calculation and send the cheque out and all I needed to do was write on the self assessment that I 'had received the refund'

Lo and behold I've called back earlier today and the first monkey I spoke to said there is absolutely no notes on the account to say that I spoke to Gareth then tonight I called again, spoke to Jack and he told me Gareth has notes on there stating that he has 'sent off R40 to be logged and and captured, processed..... Arghhhhh!!

Checked the web and the R40 is claiming back tax for savings...what the hell are these guys on working at the HMRC?

Think this has been going on far too long now and I'm just really sick fed up! But it's been going on for that long I feel like I need to fight this to the end lol