HSBC Whistleblower

MorganaNK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

HSBC Whistle-blower: Biggest Bank Fraud in British History Carried Out on UK Shoppers and Covered Up

“In my position, as you can imagine, I’ve got a few enemies.” An anonymous tip off has contacted the DWP to suggest that Nicholas Wilson is frauding the benefits office. “They sent a letter calling me in for a compliance interview.”

The irony is that Nicholas Wilson is a whistle-blower, who has been trying to expose what would be the largest bank fraud in the history of the UK, totalling over £1bn. This is made up of illegal charges imposed by HFC Bank – previously a subsidiary of HSBC, onto unsuspecting UK customer debts on high street store cards.

“I’ve been campaigning ever since. The SRA upheld my complaint, they said it was unlawful but they didn’t take any action and said it only happened in a small number of cases.”

The charges were overseen by 2 solicitor firms – Weightmans and Restons.

“I’ve calculated that in the year of my complaint, 2006, 2 firms between them added£44m of illegal charges in that one year. So, a small number of cases?”

When leaving Weightmans, Wilson helped some customers get their money back, but while the SRA upheld his complaint, he found HFC continued adding the illegal charges to customer cards. He now estimates the fraud to have affected between 500,000 – 600,000 UK customers with charges ranging from £500-£5000.

“The silence of the mainstream media is driving me insane actually. It really is.” Wilson relays the numerous times he has been contacted and worked with news stations, sometimes for months at a time, before the story is pulled at the last minute.

Interesting article.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This quest has been going on for some time yet it is the first time I have seen it.

I am, on the balance of probabilities, believing his statements. I have spent some time reading various posts on the blog and it does seem that there IS a 'buddy' system in place. Instead of bringing banks to task, give the protagonists a job in government.

I haven't gone back far enough to see what Labour did but from what I have read since 2010, it appears that there 'may' have been collusion between the bank, the regulator and the government.

Highly unethical in my opinion.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

It does look as though the regulator has done a U turn over this and now intends to investigate..

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/09/fca-investigation-hsbc-whistleblower-complaints-credit-cards

FCA set to investigate HSBC amid claims of 'improper practices'

Complaints commissioner forces inquiry at regulator, accusing it of mishandling reports of credit card overcharging

The City regulator is set to launch an investigation into whether large numbers of people lost out financially because of “improper practices” at HSBC, after a 12-year campaign by a whistleblower.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) had originally decided to take no action in the case, which involves credit card customers being overcharged, but has reversed that decision after its complaints watchdog accused it of mishandling the matter.

In a strongly worded 10-page ruling, the Office of the Complaints Commissioner, which investigates grievances relating to the regulator, said the FCA had presided over a series of events “bordering on the farcical”, was “negligent” and “defensive”, and had even attempted to “shift [the] blame” on to the whistle-blower, Nicholas Wilson.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

However at the same time ......

The City regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), has shelved plans for an inquiry into the culture, pay and behaviour of staff in banking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35204010

The FCA had planned to see whether pay, promotion and other incentives contributed to misconduct seen in previous years.

The review was meant to be a major piece of work by the watchdog.

Mark Garnier MP, a Conservative member of the Treasury Select Committee said he was "disappointed" by the decision.

He said there may have been a political motive.

Asked whether the regulator may have come under political pressure to shelve the inquiry Mr Garnier told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "There's always been this great argument that perhaps the Treasury is having more influence over the regulator than perhaps it ought to."

"And certainly if I was looking for a Machiavellian plot behind what's happened here and the tone of the regulator then I suppose I would start looking at the Treasury.

"And it's certainly been widely talked about that the Treasury thought the regulator was overdoing it in favour of the consumer and certainly from my point of view on the Treasury Select Committee, I thought otherwise," he added.

BCOBS

It looks as though they are having problems replacing Martin Wheatley, who IMHO was doing rather a good job

The decision to drop the inquiry comes six months after FCA boss Martin Wheatley - who was originally hired because of his reputation as a tough regulator - was effectively sacked by Mr Osborne, after he was told his contract was not going to be renewed following two tumultuous years in the role.

There have been a series of moves perceived as bank friendly in the last year. Martin Wheatley, the former chief executive of the FCA and a fierce critic of the banks was eased out of his position earlier this year and is yet to be replaced.

Mr Wheatley was succeeded by his deputy Tracey McDermott in September on an interim basis, but the chancellor has reportedly struggled since Mr Wheatley's departure to attract a new FCA chief, with at least one leading financial regulator said to have turned the job down.

BCOBS

some background info re the 'swiss leak' mentioned in OP, and HSBC exec chairman, and decision not to lose its licence in america.

http://cadtm.org/Swiss-leaks-HSBC-Drug-and-Bank

also

http://moveyourmoney.org.uk/hsbc-embroiled-new-mis-charging-scandal/

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/death-drugs-and-hsbc-355ed9ef5316#.fa76k3yr5