Fit4Less/ Harlands Dispute

domo87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I joined Fit4less a long time ago (over a year) It was know as Energie Fitness. I have never had a problem with them until recently.

When the gym became Fit4Less tehy asked me to update my DD details with them so I could continue my membership. I did so and was told I could cancel anytime. My partner gave birth to twins in June and since then I haven't had the time/energy to attend the gym.

3 months passed with me not going once so I thought well I'll just cancel my Direct Debit. A few weeks later I received a letter from Harlands redirected to my new address.

Dated 15th Sept, 2 days after I cancelled the DD.

The letter stated:

Your bank has advised us that your final instalment has been returned 'unpaid' "instruction cancelled". We have therefore, added a £20.00 administration charge which means tehre is a balance due of £39.99.

Then they go on to say I need to call this 10p per min line to collect the money. They also I could send in a cheque before the 22nd Sept.

They also gone on to say they assume I do not wish to renew my membership etc.

After reading similar threads on this website. I emailed this morning the following:

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my membership at Fit4Less gym in Croydon.

I cancelled my direct debit mandate in the middle of September 2015 and this was adequate notice of my intention to cancel. When I joined Fit4Less over a year ago (previously named 'Energie Fitness') I was told there was no contract and I could cancel at anytime. All they asked me for was my direct debit details, I did not sign anything and was not given any contract or terms and conditions.

However I realise now I should have made one final payment for the September 2015 payment and offer to pay this to you now. I will not pay you any administration or cancellation fees - these are penalties that are unlawful and unenforceable.

If you confirm in writing that you'll accept the amount of £19.99 in settlement of all that I owe, I will pay you promptly. If you fail to accept my offer within 14 days or you demand any other payment, I will pay you nothing and my offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Domo

I hope I said the right thing, anyway you can clearly see on their website: f4l.com

'Fit4less Croydon is a great value gym at only £19.99 per month & No contract! I can't find their terms and conditions anywhere on their website and I certainly wasn't given any when I joined.

Hope you can help me, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really can't afford to be paying out extra expenses at the moment.

Kind Regards

Edited by slick132
Name edited

Hi Domo and welcome to CAG

I've removed your name from the bottom of your email - stay anonymous as far as you can.

What you have written will do just fine for now. However, I would send Harlands a hard copy of the letter by post and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when it's sent. Then you'll have proof of posting.

I wonder if they'll come back saying you committed to a new 12 month agreement when you "updated my DD details with them".

Let us know how they respond.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you Slick132,

I have printed the email out and addressed it to Harlands. I'll pop it in the post later on today. Thanks for your quick response.

Shall I use my new address on the letter I am sending? We will see I wouldn't be surprised if they would try and con me. They have no paper work from me or anything that I have signed. It's a shame the gym got taken over as I was on very good terms with their old manager.

Kind Regards

Domo

Yes, tell them your current address and send the letter from the Post Office so you get the free Certificate.

Let us know how they reply.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)