Councils refer 2.1 million debts to bailiffs in 2014/15

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The average summons costs is around £100 (although it is significantly more for cases of non domestic rates). However the ACTUAL number of Liability Orders granted each year is around 3.4 million. It has been the case for a considerable number of years that the 'summons cost' has been seen as much needed 'income' buy all local authorities.

Which, of course, boost their receipt up to £340,000,000 (340 million). If we include the amount bailiffs add to that, it must a least double, so the 'poor' who struggle to pay CT are having over half a billion added to their bills.

For some Councils the wont pays face bankruptcy like in this case http://stratfordobserver.co.uk/news/warning-of-consequences-of-not-paying-council-tax-8041/ then paid up afterwards go figure,

Wonder if they would try to bankrupt that single mum on benefits? That couple were probably won't pays and the council knew they had liquid assets available,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

All I can say to that is this is just the beginning of even more recovery....

Bankruptcy is a double edged sword, and could bite the council on the bum if they bankrupt a whole leap of benefit claimants.

Of course if someone on low income is asset rich like some pensioners, then bankrupting them to force sale of the home and assts might make sense to them. Downside is a rollicking in the press.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Bankruptcy is a double edged sword, and could bite the council on the bum if they bankrupt a whole leap of benefit claimants.

Of course if someone on low income is asset rich like some pensioners, then bankrupting them to force sale of the home and assts might make sense to them. Downside is a rollicking in the press.

the Council will also have to fund them if they need to go into care/nursing homes !

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just been looking at my council. Blackpool.

Down 49% in two years 4252

So must have been 8000 or thereabouts.

Good grief there are only about 120000 people here. OOOPS just checked again seems there are 142000 here. Long time since I checked.

But so many at risk it seems.

Also remember that Blackpool has a large unemployment status as well. Plus many London Boroughs sending people there to live because they cannot afford to live in London...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

the Council will also have to fund them if they need to go into care/nursing homes !

Well that will only hit them after they have taken the house and all the money, but they wouldn't consider the costly aftermath until it was too late.

This subject was mentioned on another thread yesterday and I responded to say the following:

The reports are very worrying but nonethless, not at all surprising and sadly, once again they highlight the fact that although 'alternative remedies' (such as an Attachment of Earnings/or Attachments against Benefits) are available they do not seem to be used and instead, bailiff enforcement is looked at as the first (instead of last) resort.

The reports are of concern for another reason:

From reports that I have seen it does not appear to be the case that the number of liability orders granted has increased, and with penalty charge notices.... (for parking related debts) the number of warrants issued must surely have declined over the same period given that during this time regulations were amended regarding the use of CCTV.

This raises raises the question of WHY has there been such a significant increase in the number of debts being referred to bailiffs and I am minded to believe that the removal of the '14 day' letter by local authorities may well be to blame. Prior to the new regs being introduced on 6th April 2014, the legislation provided that once a Liability Order has been issued, that there was a legal obligation on the local authority to send a '14 day' day letter to advise that a Liability Order had been granted and that unless payment was made the debt would be transferred to a bailiff (or other enforcement methods instigated). During this 14 day period a significant number of debtors used to contact the council to either make payment, set up a payment arrangement or set up an Attachment of Earnings or Attachment against benefits. For reasons that I still cannot understand.....and do not agree with.....the Department for Communities & Local Government removed the obligation upon councils to send the '14 day' letter.

Think you are right.For sure.

Just read that 570 million arrears was collected in 2014/2015 and 191 million written off.

It seems that some councils are deep in the red.And may be looking to lower this by any means.

Does anyone know how many councils send the 14 day letter still and how many do not and which councils they are.

I hope councils are not using citizens as cash cows as some say.

14 day letter to be returned please.

One of the wise ones-site team please start a epetition off.

Because you put things over so well.

I just hope people will care enough to sign it as many things these days people just seem to put up with anything that is thrown at them.Stand up and be counted I say.

Well I have released some anger now and if you think this is not worthwhile I have had my say and lowered my blood pressure a touch.

Something off the night about it all.

If you do could you give me the link.

Cheers

Tawnyowl.

Coughdrop, imho the bailifs and councils don't give a toss about the LGO. If they did the Augean Stables of Enforcement would have been cleansed long ago. Bailiff is first resort especially where the council is infested by Capita.

Coughdrop stated:

If, for a range of reasons, the debtor fails to engage early and stick to an agreed repayment agreement, one of the first things they will face is a letter from bailiffs.

That's what I said! :-D