VAT on Bad Debts

Wheels60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A supplier has written off a number of invoices as Bad Debts, and reclaimed the VAT element. He has then issued a claim for payment in Court at a later date, and added interest at well above base rate. Is this permissible?

Why would it not be allowed ?

What element of their claim would be an issue ? If they have included VAT in the claim which you can prove they have already got back, speak to customs & excise about this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Oh AND, the VAT rate at the time the original invoices were raised was lower than it is now. Nevertheless, the original amount, + very punitive interest has been added together and VAT at the current (higher) rate, added to the lot.

As you are aware 'written off' is just an accounting term, to say that the debt is no longer on their main account, as they are unlikely to receive payment. Does not mean the debt disappears and it won't be subject to recovery action.

But if they have already recovered the VAT, they should not be including this at the new rate. If you are concerned, then alert customs & excise that this supplier appears to be trying to gain from an unpaid invoice by making a court claim including VAT at the new rate, when they have already reclaimed VAT at the previous rate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thank you Unclebulgaia67,

Your advice is very helpful.

It would seem that the debt is still recoverable, but that the supplier is NOT entitled to impose VAT at a higher rate than was in force when the original debt was incurred.

Am I right to assume therefore, that as the years pass and interest is applied, the amount of VAT charged MUST relate to the rate in force for VAT during the year when the added interest was applied? Rather than, as the supplier seems to have done, lump the whole lot together and then charge VAT at the new higher rate on the whole amount?

Is it therefore right to say that the newer demands for payment presented to Court are technically incorrect because of the newer and higher rate rate of VAT imposed on the whole amount?

I am not sure, but it appears that the supplier has taken the old debt (Including VAT) as a figure, called that the debt, then applied interest to the whole amount and charged VAT at the current rate on the whole lot. I will have to check the details but that appears to be the case.

Their claim should relate to the invoice amount, plus they can seek to claim 8% interest and their costs for the claim.

If they have added the wrong VAT amount, then that is a mistake or they are looking to make a gain.

You could send the claimant a letter under part 18 asking for a breakdown of the claimed amount, with the VAT shown separately. If you search for part 18 of CPR, it is a way of asking questions about a claim being made.

Claiming the wrong amount by error would not invalidate their claim, if you were thinking a defence would remove their claim. But you can issue your defence probing the amount of claim and saying it does not appear to reflect the amount of an unpaid invoice.

See 1.6 from this link and it tells you how to set the letter out. I don't think there is a template as such

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part18/pd_part18

I found this whuch should help

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?255329-CPR-part-18-vs-CPR-31.14-Confused-well-read-here

Part 18 is only to ask probing questions about the claim, not to ask for documents

The vat can be included in the claim even if the output tax has been reclaimed on the companies vat return. If they do recover the debt owed, they must repay the vat recovered to hmrc. The vat claimed must be at the rate the invoice was issued at.

If I remember the last rate change was 2011 17.5 to 20.

In addition of 8% they can apply the penalty under late payment of commercial debts act. Figure varies on value of invoices and can be applied to each invoice not just the total debt.

wold be nice if you followed this please

and posted the Q&A's here

then we might be able to assist better too...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-December-2014**

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks to all, it has helped a great deal.

I need to examine the details of the claim to see if I can take things further.

From what I am told the claimant has taken the full value of the invoice (including VAT), then applied interest to the whole amount.

I need to check if that is correct procedure.

I am very grateful to all that have contributed advice and apologise for not responding sooner.