short measure pints

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I am aware that the law allows pubs to sell pints that are only 95% full of liquid.

I appreciate that pouring a full pint of lager (sans head) can be difficult.

Does the same law allow pubs to refuse to fill to the pint line on oversized glasses?

Tnx

?

What offence is committed if a pub provides 100% of a pint plus an additional head in an oversized pint glass?

After 5 minutes, once the head collapses you will be left with a pint of liquid.

Anywho, my question was about the point of oversized glasses. I recently purchased a pint of lager, it was sold in the branded oversized pint glass. The head was massive, I asked the barmaid to top the liquid up to the pint line, she refused, citing that it was company policy to refuse to. I would estimate that the glass contained 90-95% of a pint of liquid.

The irony is that if I order a pint in the same pub that isn't served in an oversized glass, they seem to be happy to top up the pint on request, that said, the glass is seldom ever 100% liquid even after the top up

Your local Council should have what used to be called a Weights and Measures Officer, whose job it is to examine your claims for short measures. Unfortunately I don't know what they would be called now.

No, an offence is committed if they serve more than a pint so your request to fill to the line is a reasonable one and regardless of the manager's policy they should do as requested. The head should be no more than 5% of the volume, any more and that is an offence. The law allows for balance, a good looking product being what is expected as well as the prescribed amount