Jeweller Lost Both Wedding Rings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'll try and keep this concise. Parents bought a pair (diamonds cut from the same rough stone) of wedding rings maybe 4 or so years ago. Last year my mother lost the diamond out of her ring, which was considered to be a manufacturing defect rather than accidental damage.

After a bit of back and forth, jeweller agreed to replace the stone but this would detract from the idea of having 2 diamonds cut from the same stone. Some more back and forth and they agreed to replace the stones in both rings.

About 9 months(!) after all this started, jeweller tells us they've lost the rings in transit. Frustrated to say the least and I'm sure I don't need to explain the sentimental value of these rings to my parents.

We asked for money back and compensation (because it really has been an ordeal and a half going through all of this) because they don't want to re-invest in the same jeweller, but rather go elsewhere.

Jeweller offered either the original cost of the rings (£600) plus £50 compensation, or £1200 in vouchers (the RRP) to spend in-store at the same place. They don't want to go for the latter option considering what I've mentioned in the previous paragraph, but £50 compensation is a bit of a joke, especially in light of their other offer.

I have no idea where to go from here. I'd like to say my parents would be entirely reasonable to expect a greater amount, though I wouldn't want to put any number on that. So my question(s): would it be reasonable to pursue a greater amount of compensation and if so, how might we go about it?

Any help would be much appreciated!

compensation only puts you back to where you were at the beginning so should be the replacement cost of the rings ( the original cost plus an inflationary element if you cannot find a like for like) and any travel, stationery, phone costs etc. You are not entitled to a profit just because you want something for the aggravation.

You need to find out what the replacement cost or value is, give them the quote, add the extra costs and see if they offer a bit more for the goodwill.