Sale of Goods Act

Bawn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'd be grateful for poster's thoughts on the following query.

In a business to business context, can a supplier's contract terms delete the reasonable quality or fit for purposes terms implied from the sale of goods act.

So, for example, would a term stating "instead of any warranty implied by law, we will replace the product if you give us 10 days notice" be enough to permit the supplier to say that I (as a small business), because of this term, cannot rely upon the fitness for purpose terms in the Sale of Goods Act.

Thanks

Welcome to the Consumer Action Group, I have moved your thread to the correct forum - you need do nothing, it is purely administrative. I am sure someone will be along to answer your query as soon as they can.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Any statutory rights that a normal consumer has are granted implicitly in a business to business contract, unless specifically removed via an exclusion clause in the contract terms.

It is sometimes possible to challenge exclusion clauses though, and there are some things which they can't exclude (like responsibility if someone dies or is injured from carelessness).

It rather depends on the item, finished goods would have to reach the standard of merchantable quality but components of something that you are manufacturing may well have such an exclusion because of the variable nature of their use. So, if a middleman is trying to get around selling you B grade stock then it had better be worth it to you on price.

Yes, in a B2B context you can exclude the implied terms about fitness for purpose and satisfactory quality. This is permitted by s55 of SOGA. The only warranty which cannot be excluded is the warranty that you own what you are selling. Similarly, in a B2B context you can say that the only available remedy for a defective product is replacement.

I'm not sure the words you have posted make much difference to be honest. Under SOGA the supplier can choose whether to offer a repair, replacement or refund anyway.

If SOGA has been excluded you can still try to rely on the concept of 'implied terms' under common law (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implied_terms_in_English_law). This will often get you to the same place as a SOGA claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thanks all. Very helpful input. The contract terms are a little unclear and I suspect that there may also be some merit in contesting whether the exclusion clause is effective. Thanks again.