Suspension From Work - Average Duration

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Early last week, I was suspended until further notice for an incident involving negligence on my behalf. The HR Manager informed me that I was to be suspended on full salary while an investigation to takes place.

All this was confirmed in writing, and they said that they would be in contact at a later stage.

It's been nearly a week and there hasn't been any form of communication whatsoever. In 17 years of working this has been a first time being suspended and also facing disciplinary action of some sort too.

Is there a rough time period that it takes for something like this to be resolved, or is it more incident specific?

Many thanks for your time.

In my experience anything from a week to 9 months

e.g your asking how long is a piece of string

It depends on

level of investigation needed

how much your needed if they can't fill your post

if they are aiming to dismiss you

normal day to day commitments of your firm

amount of HR availablity

I could go on but one thing i would always say is although this is the most important thing in your life right now expect it to be the least important for your employer, they do not often rush these things even with simple cases.

In my experience anything from a week to 9 months

e.g your asking how long is a piece of string

It depends on

level of investigation needed

how much your needed if they can't fill your post

if they are aiming to dismiss you

normal day to day commitments of your firm

amount of HR availablity

I could go on but one thing i would always say is although this is the most important thing in your life right now expect it to be the least important for your employer, they do not often rush these things even with simple cases.

This.

I can imagine that whilst you're living through a suspension, a week feels like a lifetime. However, I've seen public sector employees suspended for as long as a year. Straightforward, uncomplex cases can be dealt with in a week or two, but larger employers or more complex scenarios can take weeks, or even months.

Unfortunately all you can do is wait for a disciplinary hearing (or a return to work).

Thanks for your input guys.

Despite being there 5 years and having no disciplinary records to my name, I'm still waiting on tenterhooks.

Fully agree with the week being a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

5 months in my case, but I would say to you keep logging in for support, this website was a real lifeline for me when the same thing happened to me.

One piece of advice I was offered, was to try and keep busy, do all those little jobs around the house you keep meaning to do.

Plan each day like a work day, time to spend on work issue, gardening, housework, Gym etc, it helps you get through the process.

Good Luck X