Need Wifi Dongle for Desk top pc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3365 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning

Need a bit of advice people as to a wifi dongle. I am moving in with a pal of mine for a few months and will be taking my Dell Vostro 200 (Mid 2007) desktop PC with me and use his BT Broadband modem via wifi to connect. Problem is my Desktop PC has no wifi capability, only ethernet. I need to make my Dell pc wifi compatible through a dongle to pick up his BT modem.

Are there any specific dongles i can use as plug and play to pick up the BT wifi router.

My desktop has no Wifi capability at the moment

Many thanks

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, ask a stupid question, how do i find out if my Dell vostro 200 has PCI Slots?? and how many pins

i should say it is the slim case version desk top, not the tower unit

Expansion slots Open PCI Express X16 Slots 0.0 Number of PCI slots 2.0 Open PCI Express X1 Slots 1.0 Number of PCI-Express Slots 2.0

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Great glad you are sorted.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I had one of the older versions of the higher power USB ralink chipset wifi adapters. Worked well for about 6 months then just died.

You may find that those aerials are just plastic dressing, although I'm not certain on that.

Dont lose your driver disk, they can be a pain in the backside to replace despite the core chipset being a commonish one. On another ralink wireless N adapter I had none of the generic drivers found on the web associated with core chipset worked when i lost the original drivers and had to reinstall windows.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Great stuff glad you are sorted.

You may find that those aerials are just plastic dressing, although I'm not certain on that. ....

maybe it is cosmetic. ooi, would 2 aerials on a usb wi dongle be better than one, or none?

If they are real aerials then the actual aerial metal bit inside would probably be different lengths in each - one optimised for 2.4 and one for 5Ghz,

but in the cheaper ones (which can still work very well) it could just be dressing and the actual aerial may be a very technically crafted work of art on the circuit board.

The Tory Legacy

If they are real aerials then the actual aerial metal bit inside would probably be different lengths in each - one optimised for 2.4 and one for 5Ghz,

but in the cheaper ones (which can still work very well) it could just be dressing and the actual aerial may be a very technically crafted work of art on the circuit board.

cheers. see what you mean.

was wondering as there are those without aerials that have excellent reviews re connectivity/reception etc

i have BT Infinity 2

I am getting 180 meg download speed hard wired (Ethernet)

Using the Wi-Fi dongle I am getting download speed of 140 meg

I cannot fault it

sounds good

am lan. speed 6!! (not infin)

• 3 weeks later...

If the antenna are screw on and you have an sma connector they connect to, I found a little gem of a mini dish directional antenna on the 'auction' site for a couple of pounds delivered from china.

Usually called something like 'SMA High Gain Dish Directional Antenna'.

Little plastic thing from the outside, but I have found them to be surprisingly effective.

ebay link if allowed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4GHz-8dBi-SMA-High-Gain-Dish-Directional-Antenna-f-WiFi-Wireless-Network-K-S-/381173515197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58bfb643bd

The Tory Legacy