International Transfers via phone call - new problems with security questions

khunwilko
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone else experienced a problem with international transfer security questions?

it looks to me as if the call centre in India is making up they own questions without reference to the actual customer. The information is not coming from the customer - it appears to be gleaned from credit databases

I would question the legality of the this.

It also makes it nigh-on impossible to get the security questions right - especially as the information they have is INCORRECT.

Hi Khunwilko and welcome to CAG

Is there an alternative to doing this by phone. We always advise written contact with banks so you have a clear papertrail of events.

If this were me and the overseas call centre was being troublesome, I'd insist on a number for a UK call centre.

Or use your local branch.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

There are are other methods for doing this e.g. using a card reader - however I've experienced technical problems with this.

I also like to speak to a "real" person.

However my point is really that there has been a change in the way questions are compiled by what appears to be a new call centre.

i've used this system of transfer for about 6 years.... - I set it up in my branch in UK. I've never had a problem until this week when the security questions asked lead me to believe that the call centre is using information that I haven't volunteered to the bank myself.

it appears they are gleaning the info from credit rating sites or something like that.

they actually used some incorrect information and based subsequent questions on that incorrect info too.

it seems to me that anyone who expects to use this call center - for whatever reason - is quite likely to encounter security questions that they have not previously agreed with the bank nd may find themselves through no fault of their own unable to answer.

PS - I have a number for the UK call centre but they ae unable to do international transfers and inevitably transfer you to the new "off-shore" centre that appears to have a different and questionable set of security criteria.

i am currently out of the country so local branch doesn't apply and this system has worked for me for several years.....until now!

Noted.

I'm not sure you'll be able to "check the legality" of this as such.

I would make a formal written complaint to Barclays London HQ, briefly outlining your experience and ask for an explanation. If this matter has caused you stress or any quantifiable loss, you should also ask for compensation.

If they fail to provide adequate answers, you could then complain to the FOS.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

At present, I'm waiting on a written reply from Barclays.

if I fail to get a result then, I'll follow your advice.

It seems to me that using info for security questions gathered from outside sources or without the knowledge of the customer seems to be a best irrational at worst illegal?