Advertising Scam - Small Companies beware

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm fairly new to the [problem] advertising calls but already very fed up and annoyed. At work (we are a small business) we have been receiving multiple calls from 3 different companies: Weinstein Williams, Imperial Media and Abingdon House. I was wondering if anybody had any information on any of these companies. All claim to be advertising for the emergency services and follow the same sort of conversations as mentioned previously in this thread. It's really quite unsettling to hear that you owe so much money when we haven't confirmed or ordered anything! Does anybody have any advice on what to do or has had any experience of any of these companies? Any advice would be gratefully received.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly new to the [problem] advertising calls but already very fed up and annoyed. At work (we are a small business) we have been receiving multiple calls from 3 different companies: Weinstein Williams, Imperial Media and Abingdon House. I was wondering if anybody had any information on any of these companies. All claim to be advertising for the emergency services and follow the same sort of conversations as mentioned previously in this thread. It's really quite unsettling to hear that you owe so much money when we haven't confirmed or ordered anything! Does anybody have any advice on what to do or has had any experience of any of these companies? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Well apparently Abingdon House are legit as they have government and crime stoppers adverts in their mag but I have spoke to many companies who have advertised with them and they've said they've never had any calls from customers from that mag and also where unhappy at where the mags were distrubted sometimes hundreds of miles from their own companies.

I spoke to trading standards about the other firms yesterday one of them being MJS Media UK Ltd working from Manchester and basically they're trying it on, they'll send you repeated invoices and sometimes threatening phone calls and letters in the hope many companies will give in to shut them up. Basically though they have nothing to go on, their claims would never stand up in court and you shouldn't worry about it even if they threaten you with baliffs (they still need to go to court). Trading standards seem to think it's so common now it's not worth chasing up and as a small business you should expect it.

Thing is I told them I have bank details, phone numbers, names (prob fake) an address, a photo of the premises and trading standards still didn't want them.

I recommend a phone that can record messages. If any one from a company phones to sell something I hit the record button even if it's only to say no thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Street Beat Associates

I just spoke to Mike Wilson in Liverpool, current website is -- Streetbeat Associates Liverpool --

They claimed to be part of the Police and offering a magazine service to NHS staff, Police and fire services. This sounded believable, until i thought about the price and what they were offering. It was too good to be true and i got suspicious.

They wanted to sell a qtr page ad for 265 Pounds. I have received no terms or order confirmation / invoice and they want payment inside 28 days....

I did a quick search for the company and found disturbing results I checked the website and it's pretty flakey, no information at all.

Should I wait and see or just ignore them and not pay? They don't seem legit.

Trading standards usually say either ignore them and keep all records or reply by letter saying you've spoke to trading standards and they have said the company are [problematic] and you will not be paid.

Send a letter telling them you have contacted trading standards.

Dont touch them with a barge pole.

Don't speak to them unless you record your conversation.

They say things are recorded and if they are you can bet your bottom dollar that they will edit it to suit their needs.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I am another victim of these advertising scams. I ran my small business for 2 years and ceased trading August 2009. I took out advertising with theatresonline.com in 2008 for 1 year and paid all invoices they sent me. I have now recently received phone calls from them saying I signed a 2 year contract and demanding money from me. When I ask why they are chasing me up now if they think I signed a 2 year contract and they can give me an answer. They have advised that they are running a credit check and will be contacting me again. Can anyone offer advice. Has anyone else had dealings with them?

Thanks

Do you have the signed contract for 2 years? If you don't ask them to provide evidence that you signed for 2 years. They will usually say we have a recording of you agreeing, if they do then ask for that recording. If they can't send you evidence they will need to take you to court to obtain the money. [problematic] will threaten and intimidate small companies into paying because they know (the advertising company) can't go to court as they'll simply lose. Trading Standards will tell you to ignore them until they can provide proper evidence. They usually get fake debt recovery agencies to phone and intimidate but be strong and tell them you have reprted them to trading standards and you are also recording all telephone conversations (you're allowed to by law if you're a sole trader or domestic).

Do you have the signed contract for 2 years? If you don't ask them to provide evidence that you signed for 2 years. They will usually say we have a recording of you agreeing, if they do then ask for that recording. If they can't send you evidence they will need to take you to court to obtain the money. [problematic] will threaten and intimidate small companies into paying because they know (the advertising company) can't go to court as they'll simply lose. Trading Standards will tell you to ignore them until they can provide proper evidence. They usually get fake debt recovery agencies to phone and intimidate but be strong and tell them you have reprted them to trading standards and you are also recording all telephone conversations (you're allowed to by law if you're a sole trader or domestic).

No I signed for 1 year. I was just wondering if there were other businesses that had dealings with them as I am just gobsmacked that they can be so bold as to call me demanding money when I know I only signed for 1 year. They have actually put my ad back up on their website. I can only think that they are desperate to make money in this economic crisis they are turning to these drastic measures!

It's pretty standard practice for advertising companies to try to [problem] small businesses and sole traders now. Just a case of ignoring them even their threats and telling them to take you to court.

Hi

My brothers company has recently (this week) been contacted by Street Beat - offering him advertising for his building company - and saying they do the advertising for the Police, Fire Service, etc. etc. Based on Ascot, Berkshire......He has an invoice for £195 - and they actually sent him an email with a copy of his website - saying this was going into their magazines.... he realised it was a [problem] when their documents showed an address in Liverpool - why would they be involved in Berkshire Emergency Services from that area ??? He has not paid, and wants to warn everyone else out there...

DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE

• 2 weeks later...

Well I feel the same. Had a call last Oct '09 from them. I ignored their calls, after becoming suspicious for a number of reasons, asking me to pay (for something I hadn't seen, only verbally agreed to over the phone - stupidly)

I reported them to Liverpool police St. asking if they were doing a publication with a company called Streetbeat and the police there said no and to not pay anything as it sounded a [problem]. When Streetbeat rang yet again I told the guy I wasnt paying etc etc. He told me they had me on recording agreeing. When I mentioned I had spoke to the police he just kind of wandered off. That was the last I heard.... until 2 days ago! -- they have sent me a letter from debt collectors Churchill recovery threatening if I dont pay they will take me to court!

Also last year I couldnt find any info on Streetbeat associates whatsoever except a small complaint against them on advertising protection agency forum. Now I see they actually have a website which makes them look sincere!

:oops:

So far you have got off quite lightly.

I cannot link to the thread ([problem] - Local Events Calendar 1st August 2010) on here but similar [problem] was (proberly still is) being ran over the internet, I think the starting figure for that [problem] was around £400 to £500 all investors had nothing to show for there money.

As I posted in that thread my first knowledge of this kind of [problem] was 20 years ago, it goes back quite a good few years before that 1 guy had been involved one way or an other for 40 years back then. This was being ran from Blackpool. They just relocate as Police fingers get close to their collars.

I know it's no comfort but you are not the first and you will not be the last.

:)

dk

Well I feel the same. Had a call last Oct '09 from them. I ignored their calls, after becoming suspicious for a number of reasons, asking me to pay (for something I hadn't seen, only verbally agreed to over the phone - stupidly)

I reported them to Liverpool police St. asking if they were doing a publication with a company called Streetbeat and the police there said no and to not pay anything as it sounded a [problem]. When Streetbeat rang yet again I told the guy I wasnt paying etc etc. He told me they had me on recording agreeing. When I mentioned I had spoke to the police he just kind of wandered off. That was the last I heard.... until 2 days ago! -- they have sent me a letter from debt collectors Churchill recovery threatening if I dont pay they will take me to court!

They won't take you to court don't worry and getting in debt collectors before court is the usual way to go for [problem] companies.

They won't take you to court don't worry and getting in debt collectors before court is the usual way to go for [problem] companies.

I'm thinking of writing the debt collectors a brief letter telling them I won't be paying their client for the reasons I believe and that I will sue for harrasment if it continues. Or should I just ignore and do nothing? Any thoughts?

It's likely the debt company are in on it. Real companies only go to debt collectors after a court hearing. If the debt company are real then give them a ring and tell them the situation and that you're waiting for a court summons. They may not even have heard of you.

It's likely the debt company are in on it. Real companies only go to debt collectors after a court hearing. If the debt company are real then give them a ring and tell them the situation and that you're waiting for a court summons. They may not even have heard of you.
My thoughts also about them being in on it. I presume they are real though as they have a registered numbered & are CSA registered. Funny though as the letter they sent wasn't even on proper headed paper - just a terrible photocopy! what a hassle this all is. Can't believe how hardfaced these people are - Makes me so angry. I will probably call them. Thanks for your advice and knowledge.

• 1 month later...

Hi I can totally agree with you their as I too and for a substantial amount, but after coming onto this site and looking at who the companies are alot of them are mentioned, my accountant is trying to deal with them now but if they ring me again I will be telling them where to shove their invoices and if they don't like it they can go jump. I have no idea where they got my details from but I am changing all my numbers so I cannot be contacted again and yes they have passwords for me too.

Where do these people get off?

I set up business last December and got a call around March from a company called Blueline Publications, I fell for the whole thing and paid up because the man I spoke to seemed so genuine!!! How wrong I was!

Since then I've had various calls from several different advertising companies preaching the same thing.

The last straw came a week ago when I received a phone call from a man called 'Paul Thompson'. He said he was from the Crime Prevention Campaign and that I didn't owe him any money but I owed various other companies nearly £3000 in unpaid advertising fees dating back to June. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and asked him for the details of the companies, of which he said he couldn't disclose the information...... He then went on to say that if I paid £700 (cash) by 3pm the next day I could completely right-off the debt and have my name removed from all these pain in the arse companies. Thought it sounded very suspicious and said I wasn't willing to pay the £700, he said it would then be passed on to their legal team and that the bailiffs would be in touch. I thought that was the end of it from him...... How wrong could I be?!!

The following day he called to see at what point I was paying the £700??? Told him he could take a run and jump, at which point he got very aggressive. I also told him that I'd informed Trading Standards and the Police and that if you googled [problem] advertising, his company was at the top of the list. At this he went on to call me a liar...... Pot, kettle, black spring to mind!!!

The calls have continued and have been more and more threatening.

Words of advice:

-Report to the Police and Trading Standards

-Say you're not interested in anything they have to say, or even put the phone down-they will get bored!

-Ignore any invoices you recieve-99.9% of them are not legit, if you're not 100% sure look them up on Google, Google maps-I even rang yellow pages!(don't fall for the websites they have posted)-

-Do not pay a penny to anyone; even if they claim you owe them and threaten you with legal action hang up on them.

-If you do stay on the line, try and get as much info as possible to pass on to the police and Trading Standards.

-If a bailiff turns up on your door ask them for ID and a debt collection licence number but more importantly ring the police and Trading Standards. They cannot take anything if you have not been issued with a court summons. Bailiffs tend to be the last option in regard to unpaid fees. (I know all this as a friend of mine is a ex bailiff)

-Lastly and most importantly, stay calm and have a laugh at how sad and lowly their lives really must be!!! Entertain them it's their phone bill after all!

They don't get off anywhere apart from giving us grief when we are the victims and not the criminals like themselfs.

On monday i left to go and collect my daughter from school and my eldest daughter was at home, she received a call whilst i was out from a guy saying he was a bailiff and to get me to ring him back as they were coming to take stuff out of my house, like chuff were they, i rang them back and when i said my name he didn't really know who i was and asked for my name again so i told him, he said that i owed £1800.00 and that they were coming to my house to get there money, i asked who they were collecting the money for and they said "Business Connect", i said that i owed them nothing and he subsequently went on to tell me that they were coming and i was going to pay, i told him that i was going to contact northampton county courts baliff office and the police and he told me not to bother as they had so many cases to deal with and they wouldn't be able to trace me, bull**** i'm not that stupid, he just kept going on and on and on and on and would not listen in the end i told him to get lost basically and hung up. I contacted my accountant who tried to ring them she tried a couple of times and then withheld her number and they answered and gave her so much ****e it was unreal and told her to "calm down or she'd have a nose bleed" she was fuming and put the phone down, i contacted the police and was subsequently told to keep my doors and windows closed and not to let anyone in and to dial 999, haven't heard a thing since. The police visited me today and told me that if anyone i was unsure of turned up at my door i was not to let them in and dial 999 and they suspect that they are frauds. All of the invoices that i have received from various companies saying i have advertised with them are now in the hands of solicitors who are looking into them but the scums keep ringing me and i just keep hanging up or let my answer machine take it but guess what they never leave a message, all numbers are 0161, 0151, 0844 or 0845 no's and some when rang say this number is no longer in use but they can still ring me. Will keep you posted as to what my solicitor has to say but i am praying to god that i can get some or all of my money back and they get what they deserve!!!! Can supply a list of the companies i have received invoices from????:shock:

This is a very extreme tactic they're trying now and definately targeting people who work from home. I would suggest anyone who is receiving these calls to get a phone that is able to record. 9 times out of 10 if you tell them the calls are being recorded they'll hang up or try to argue it's illegal to record them (it's not). You can generally tell the [problem]/sales calls because they're withheld numbers and always ask for owner or person in charge.

I work from home and when i received the phone call on monday i went in all guns blazing and really told them but they were having none of it. Like you have suggested about recording the phone calls that is what i am doing now with my phone and putting my house phone on loud speaker. After posting last night i received a call from Excel Media but he asked for the owner and then me by name (make your mind up) he asked if that was me, replied depends who you are and he laughed and said he was from Excel media i hung up, he rang back and said that wasn't very nice and i told him he had to speak to my accountant and he said he wasn't speaking to anyone, i told him i wasn't speaking to him either and hung up. They say the calls are being recorded but not for training purposes they are using them as a verbal contract and i have heard they engage you in a conversation and get you to say things and then rearrange the conversation to say that you have agreed, i now let my answer machine kick in and they never leave a message. Some companies do tell you when you contact them that "SOME" calls will be recorded for training purposes but not these people.

Where do these people get off?

I set up business last December and got a call around March from a company called Blueline Publications, I fell for the whole thing and paid up because the man I spoke to seemed so genuine!!! How wrong I was!

Since then I've had various calls from several different advertising companies preaching the same thing.

The last straw came a week ago when I received a phone call from a man called 'Paul Thompson'. He said he was from the Crime Prevention Campaign and that I didn't owe him any money but I owed various other companies nearly £3000 in unpaid advertising fees dating back to June. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about and asked him for the details of the companies, of which he said he couldn't disclose the information...... He then went on to say that if I paid £700 (cash) by 3pm the next day I could completely right-off the debt and have my name removed from all these pain in the arse companies. Thought it sounded very suspicious and said I wasn't willing to pay the £700, he said it would then be passed on to their legal team and that the bailiffs would be in touch. I thought that was the end of it from him...... How wrong could I be?!!

The following day he called to see at what point I was paying the £700??? Told him he could take a run and jump, at which point he got very aggressive. I also told him that I'd informed Trading Standards and the Police and that if you googled [problem] advertising, his company was at the top of the list. At this he went on to call me a liar...... Pot, kettle, black spring to mind!!!

The calls have continued and have been more and more threatening.

Words of advice:

-Report to the Police and Trading Standards

-Say you're not interested in anything they have to say, or even put the phone down-they will get bored!

-Ignore any invoices you recieve-99.9% of them are not legit, if you're not 100% sure look them up on Google, Google maps-I even rang yellow pages!(don't fall for the websites they have posted)-

-Do not pay a penny to anyone; even if they claim you owe them and threaten you with legal action hang up on them.

-If you do stay on the line, try and get as much info as possible to pass on to the police and Trading Standards.

-If a bailiff turns up on your door ask them for ID and a debt collection licence number but more importantly ring the police and Trading Standards. They cannot take anything if you have not been issued with a court summons. Bailiffs tend to be the last option in regard to unpaid fees. (I know all this as a friend of mine is a ex bailiff)

-Lastly and most importantly, stay calm and have a laugh at how sad and lowly their lives really must be!!! Entertain them it's their phone bill after all!

Who was the company that contacted you??? Thats exactly what happened to me but they wanted £1800 said they'd rang me and sent letters etc not received anything and the number that he gave me for the company doesn't exist and the mobile number he gave me they just answer aggressively, i became more suspicious when the invoice came!!!

Who was the company that contacted you??? Thats exactly what happened to me but they wanted £1800 said they'd rang me and sent letters etc not received anything and the number that he gave me for the company doesn't exist and the mobile number he gave me they just answer aggressively, i became more suspicious when the invoice came!!!

A man called Paul Thompson from the Crime Prevention Campaign, but their names change all the time. He even made a call to his supervisor at the 'Board of Charities' but didn't put me on hold so I heard the whole conversation-which sounded very staged! I asked Paul for his mates number, he gave me a mobile number... I've had the numbers checked by the police and they couldn't trace them which possibly means they're pay and go mobiles.

Another number the police checked by the police was:01612232266-They said straight away they were [problem] callers. That number has rung twice this week.

Other companies to look out for:

-Appleton Smith Media (my immediate thought was Granny Smith apples!)

-Imperial Media

[EDIT]

-Business Connect

-Streetbeat Associates (recieved an invoice off these yesterday, even though I've never spoken to them, and associates was spelt assosciates!)

[EDIT]

-Britannia Media Ltd

-Business and Community Support Multimedia

-Community Safety Plus

-Turner Wilson Associates

-Excel Media Ltd

-Blueline Publications

-Knightsbridge Media Company

I've passed all these names on to Trading Standards who are currently carrying out various investigations.

I hope I've helped people by naming them-hopefully it won't be long before they're shamed too!

Edited by alanfromderby
What evidence do you have regarding these companies?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks