Housing Benefit & Special Guardianship Allowance

kjm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Me and my husband have been caring for my nephew for over 5 years.

We claim housing benefit & when my nephew first came to live with us we obviously declared the family & friends allowance we were recieving to the housing benefit department which has always shown as 'charitable payments' on our decision notices.

In oct 2011 we were granted a special guardianship order for him & the allowance changed from family & friends to sgo allowance.

Information I came across last week has led me to believe that the council shouldn't be using the sgo allowance as income when working out our benefit, yet they are & always have.

I called the department & I was told that that wasn't right & if it is on our benefit decision notice then I'm wrong as they have departments that check for these things.

I asked if they had the allowance down as family & friends or sgo & the woman said that she couldn't tell & that it didn't matter either way.

I told her that the government webite says otherwise (from 2011 onwards) & so does the fostering & adoption team website for our area.

She said that the government are always changing it & it must have changed again recently.

I've had to give up work to meet my nephews needs (& we also have two other children). My husband works full time but every month is a struggle.

I don't know where we stand now. Who's right? Does it differ from council to council?

Can anyone here offer any advice?

Thanks

Hi.

Me and my husband have been caring for my nephew for over 5 years.

We claim housing benefit & when my nephew first came to live with us we obviously declared the family & friends allowance we were recieving to the housing benefit department which has always shown as 'charitable payments' on our decision notices.

In oct 2011 we were granted a special guardianship order for him & the allowance changed from family & friends to sgo allowance.

Information I came across last week has led me to believe that the council shouldn't be using the sgo allowance as income when working out our benefit, yet they are & always have.

I called the department & I was told that that wasn't right & if it is on our benefit decision notice then I'm wrong as they have departments that check for these things.

I asked if they had the allowance down as family & friends or sgo & the woman said that she couldn't tell & that it didn't matter either way.

I told her that the government webite says otherwise (from 2011 onwards) & so does the fostering & adoption team website for our area.

She said that the government are always changing it & it must have changed again recently.

I've had to give up work to meet my nephews needs (& we also have two other children). My husband works full time but every month is a struggle.

I don't know where we stand now. Who's right? Does it differ from council to council?

Can anyone here offer any advice?

Thanks

Request a review of the decision in writing, and it will go to a more senior decision maker to look at.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop