Ernest Jones Ring

Isabel Franke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I was wondering whether you could give me some advice. My husband bought an engagement ring for me at Ernest Jones 3.5 years ago. Two weeks ago the branches of the ring that were holding the diamond disconnected and the diamond fell out. I only noticed it after it happened and so I lost the stone.

Ernest Jones sent the ring off to get it looked at and have now told me over the phone that it is due to damage and that there was no fault with the ring.

I am quite surprised, although I wore the ring everyday, I took good care of it and didn't do anything harsh to it. It wasn't knocked or anything like that.

The ring originally cost £499 and they are now asking for £530 to repair it.

Is there anything I can do? I think there must have been a fault with the ring, whether the design was flawed or the material faulty I don't know, but you expect to be able to wear an engagement ring everyday without the goldbranches detaching themselves and the stone falling out, don't you?

If you could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

Claws do wear and it is recommended that they are tightened up every so often to prevent the stone becoming loose and falling out. However, where claws break it is different as something must have happened to cause this. It would mean examining the ring under a microscope to look at where the claws have broken to try and determine whether this is just fatigue or whether there was a flw in the metal. The latter is unlikely but not impossible and if it was the case then you have a valid claim against EJ. If it is fatigue then it is just wear and tear and unfortunate but one of those things that happens to everything eventually. the design of the setting will determine how long it would normally be expected to last for but 3 years seems a bit low.

Unfortunately the expertise you need to tell the difference is difficult to find and unless someone is happy to just give an opinion as a pro bono favour probably uneconomic, especially if the answer isnt one that helps your case. Contact Goldsmiths Hall in London and ask them for advice, they may be able to put you in touch with a metallurgist.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Isabelle

A while ago, I posted a thread about H Samuel - this may be worth having a look at to try and help you- I don't know how to link you to it sorry!Ernest Jones are part of this group apparently.

Good Luck! The guys on here were fab!

A while ago, I posted a thread about H Samuel - this may be worth having a look at to try and help you

Thread mentioned :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?351834-H-Samuel-advice-needed-please!-****Resolved****

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert