• Tweets

• Thanks Andy, There will be money left as they own their house. That's why I was thinking it may be cheaper to pay off the debts now, with a discount, rather than in full when the time comes.
    • No hard or fast rules ...if you have referred to it or intend to refer to it and rely on a document as evidence it goes on the list as an exhibit. No you can raise that within your statement but remember that sec 69 is at the discretion of the court a judge may allow the full amount claimed or reduce it to a lower % or none at all. Yes the claimant must serve their N265 on you...any document on theirs that you do not have you can request a copy and then use in your statement. Will it assist your defence ?
    • Hi all, I have previously been helped by the wonderful people on these forums, which helped me out of debt and to a much stronger position that I am in today, for which I am eternally grateful. My debts were all cleared, I now have no debt (apart from a mortgage) and an excellent credit file. I did also show my gratitude with a donation, which even if it helps just one other person out of spiralling debt, it would have been worth it. Sadly, my elderly parents did also run up some debts a few years ago, some through loans and some through credit cards. A few years ago, my father had a medical episode which has left him paralysed on one side of his body and now is confined to a wheelchair, and is pretty much non verbal (he can only manage a handful of words, and gets confused easily). I'm seriously not sure how far any County Court Action would get against him due to his current state, if any of the DCAs were to proceed down that route. Luckily nonw have tried, but can only think that any action would be discontinued by a judge. Before his medical episode he did set up a payment plan with some of the DCAs that were chasing him, which have continused being paid to this day from his bank account. They are literally minimum amounts, but obviously these actions have kept those debts current. However, some of the other debts have since become statutory barred due to the time elapsed since the last COA. My mum does have Power of Attorney over his financial affairs so can act on his behalf, with me as backup if god forbid anything happens to my mum. Their wills are set up for everything to go to the other should either of them pass away, and then to their children upon the passing of both of them, with myself being named as the executor on both of their wills. I have recently been reading up on the role of an executor, and part of the duties is to pay any outstanding liabilities before distributing the remainder of the estate. I have seen, in several instances, of a recommendation of posting about any death in the local newspaper column and the gazette to limit any future liabilities as executor in case of any debts that are unknown to myself. But this does lead me onto the debts I do know about. Am I right in thinking that the current debts that my dad has been making token payments on would have to be repaid in full to the DCAs upon his death? If that is the case, is it worth negotiating a full and final settlement, with a discount, on his behalf now? And with the debts that are statutory barred, am I correct in presuming that they would not need to be paid upon my dad's death as they wouldn't be legally enforcable in court? Thanks in advance for all of your help!
    • Hello AndyOrch For the n265 please would the below list of documents be sufficient ? 1. Pre-Action protocols. Claimant confirmation that they have not complied or have only partially complied (last page of claimants N181 Direction Questionnaire) Dated 16/04/2024 2. Copy of the Lease - Dated 4th September 1998 3. Statement of account (up to 1st Feb 2024) - Dated 20/02/2024 (This shows a slightly different balance to the one included in the Claim form as theirs was only up to 24th Jan 2024) 4. CPR 31.14 Request - Dated 28/02/2024   With regards to the Claimants claim for interest under Section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 where the amount is incorrectly calculated due to the account balance and also appears to be duplicated, should I list their POC ? Additionally should I include any e-mail exchanges (I don't have all as some went to junk and auto deleted due to an issue with my e-mail account and I was reliant on my phone for seeing e-mails) ? I don't have the last e-mail that was sent prior to the claim being issued. I guess that I can ask the claimant for a copy of this one ? The claimant has refused to action the CPR 31.14 request.  Regarding the Section 20 notices relating to the major works, should I include if we have a copy ? Is there anything else that I should include in the list relevant to our defence ? Will the claimant send us a similar list via N265 ? They did include a Continuation Sheet with their N244 giving a background of the case. Just wondering how we know all of the documents that they will rely on.   As always really appreciate any help and guidance that you can provide.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Arrow Global V Frost A judgement that seems to go against perceived wisdom

fletch70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The recent county court case of Arrow Global V Frost seems quite interesting . This is a case where the absence of a signed agreement on a pre 2007 credit card has been overcome and the debt enforced.

The agreement can be found in post 4 below . Thank You Citizen B

It seems quite obvious that the Judge did not believe the defendant but another important point seems to be his view on date of service of a DN.

Thought people might like a look as it shows the importance of having a credible version of events in court .

I find it quite worrying for consumers especially as there was no leave to appeal.

Any comments?

Edited by fletch70
Editing link

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I fail to see how a dn barely out of the printer can be deemed to be served. the judge even ruled against the "together with " argument in reply to a cca request. The problem seems to me to be the credibility of the defendant and the impression made by her and her husband on the judge

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

me thinks its more to do wit them trying to put a rankine act.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49453[/ATTACH]

The Frost Judgment that fletch refers to ^^^^^^^^ :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Although I have only skimmed this it would appear that Alison Frost did not come over as a credible witness.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

IMO The judgment shows up may misconceptions that you see on here and elsewhere.

First is that an agreement cannot be enforced if there is no actual copy present, plainly it can. If you are going to use the fact that the creditor cannot produce the agreement then you must also make a statement that either there was never an agreement or that there was some defect in the execution in addition to the missing document.

Secondly that a minor defect on a default notice cannot be considered as de-minimis after the Brandon appeal. As illustrated here, all the Brandon case showed was that the minor defect should not be dismissed without consideration, it can still be considered as irrelevant by the judge dependent on the facts of the particular case.

Then there is the matter of the section 78 copy, in Roberts was held that all the documents must be sent together, where as here the judge was quite content that the copies were sent at different times.

I think that if you compare this case with say Harrison one of the main things that hits you is the attitude of the judge towards the debtor, in Harrison he was much more sympathetic, in this case he seemed(reading between the lines) almost annoyed that the debtor was using the technical points in order to avoid payment. A lesson to anyone considering challenging an agreement, try and get the judge on side, stress the prejudice incurred rather than depending on technical defenses. IMO

• Thanks 1

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I fail to see how a dn barely out of the printer can be deemed to be served. the judge even ruled against the "together with " argument in reply to a cca request. The problem seems to me to be the credibility of the defendant and the impression made by her and her husband on the judge

I couldn't agree more although I can see the argument that it was served in time if the evidence about the service offered by UK Mail was true

me thinks its more to do wit them trying to put a rankine act.

dx

If that is the case then it is something that needs addressing as Judges should be impartial and not interpret the law on a whim. By refusing the right to appeal he is acting way beyond his authority IMHO

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49453[/ATTACH]

The Frost Judgment that fletch refers to ^^^^^^^^ :)

Thank you Citizen B

Dodge

I agree with almost all of what you said, especially the part about needing to make an affirmative statement. It does concern me that the issue of the DN was treated so lightly. I think that there was evidence to show that the DN was issued in time however as said above I think the Judge was out to make a point and if you say that 2 days is de minimus where does it stop. The CCA says 14 days, if we allow 12 days , sooner or later that will be accepted and then someone will say , well 11 days is only 1 more day short , what does that matter.

Most of the DN's that I have are bad due to different reasons, in most cases it is the wording that is incorrect and not the remedy time e.g 14 days from the date of this letter does not fulfill the act.

On the subject of the S78 request I think it will be rare that the documents are sent "almost together". In my experience everything is sent at the same time or in two cases a gap of many months .

Overall though I think it will be a blow for those that think blagging is a safe idea and as time gets closer to their SB dates there will be many more claims forthcoming. I hope for the sake of some of the people I know this is not the case, however I fully expect that should I become solvent in the next 4 years it will happen to me.

I think many misunderstood the Brandon appeal regarding DNs. The appeal was against a summary judgment, it did not mean that a DN defect could not be regarded as de-minimis, it just meant that the defense could not be summarily dismissed, it had to be considered, a judge could still disallow it, as happened here.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It makes a nonsense of the regulations/law which state that there is a statutory/mandatory 14 days to be allowed from date of service. There is then information regarding mailing dates in both CPR and the Tax Manual.

So to be considered..

These DNs are automated - generated by computer - with the variables amended as required. It would appear there is no "human" input - so how can they be absolutely certain that one was generated - one was mailed. As a lot of these are printed off overnight, then they will almost certainly not go out in the post till the following day. Again, with no human input and no record of mailing, how can anyone be sure - please dont say because "this is our procedure" or " because it is recorded on our logs". Or "please believe us because we are a trusted institution". Banks have we know, been making mistakes, telling fibs, and generally making a mockery out of the system for years.

We know for sure there is NO next day delivery for UK Mail - proof of this was provided by Mr Harrison in Harrison v Link - his solicitor actually wrote to the Head of UK Mail - I believe there is some information on one of the older threads regarding this.. I will do my best to locate that.

MBNA / Link we know for sure use a 2nd mail service. As do many other banks. I wrote to my Mortgage provider and asked why it took 10 days from the date of their letter/statements to the receipt of those.

Documents printed by computer - sent to mailing house for enveloping - sent to a different section to be mailed !! UK Mail 2nd class post used. ... 10 days !!!

• Haha 1

BCOBS

I know, and Harrison is mentioned a lot regarding DN issues. But in fact if you look at the judgment, the judge only made a passing remark regarding default notices, saying something like, yes well there can be no enforcement on a bad notice but a bad one can be replaced by a good one.

There are a lot of DN defenses going on on here and elsewhere, people calculating delivery times. I sometimes wonder just how effective they are in reality.

Dodge

Why do I have to agree with you, it's so annoying !

As you say all that Brandon tells us is that they can not be automatically dismissed.

Citizen B

I hope you aren't saying that we can't trust the banks. I always thought they were full of honest people :rofl::behindsofa:

I get letters all the time with dates on that are several days prior to delivery and they are often with UK mail which is why I keep important envelopes and write dates on them.

I think that this judgement has made a mockery of the system although given the evidence I do think I would have discounted the defendants memory. That doesn't though give the Judge the right to try and rewrite the law. I suppose if this case gets used by claimants in other actions his name will become well known ..make of that what you will

Yes, my first thoughts were that there was a bit of self promotion going on here,rather too many, if I am wrong on this ,I'm still right anyway

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

A lesson to anyone considering challenging an agreement, try and get the judge on side, stress the prejudice incurred rather than depending on technical defenses. IMO

And ones husband if they are going to have them act as a credible witness!

Seems pretty much like the case was doomed from the start and what little there was to put advance on was lost in the unreliability of Mrs. Frost and the exaggeration of her defense.

Yes, when the only thing you can remember is that there was no signature box it is not convincing.

Speaks volumes when the husband can't be bothered to listen to the wife, no why might that be?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...