Tax Credit "overpayment" - Ahem

Angel Steele
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I received Working Families Tax Credit (as it was then called) while my daughter was at college 7 years ago.

When she left college I informed the Tax Credit Office of this.

In 2009 I received a letter informing me that an overpayment had been paid and that I owed the sum of £4,600.

I disputed this and letters between myself and the Tax Credit Office went back and forth all to no avail.

Then all went quiet so I assumed they had realised their error. This was in 2009.

Suddenly in October last year, some 4.5 years down the line I received a letter asking for payment.

I wrote to them, disputing this - again - and asking what sort of department they run as it was over 4.5 years since they last contacted me.

Heard nothing from them.

Another letter from them asking for payment.

Wrote to them again, with a copy of my previous letter.

Ahem - today another letter demanding the money and an attachment about how a representative of theirs can take possession of my belongings.

Did they not get my letters or are they just being difficult?

Any suggestions? I may have to ring them but I am loathe to at present.

Fortunately I have all their correspondence from 2006 onwards, plus my replies to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions :)

• 1 year later...

Sadly this is still rumbling on hence this post. I requested a SAR from them which I received in February this year (2015). It contained print outs of transactions but no copy correspondence between myself and HMRC over the years. I wrote to them way back with the change of my circumstances but they simply failed to act on this.

Since February this year I have written numerous letters to them, and phoned as well. I have sent a letter lodging a formal complaint at the way my case has been dealt with and finally on Friday (04 Dec) I received a response form them which was written in riddles. They told me they would not consider my appeal, totally disregarded the letter I sent advising them not to harass me any more and seemed to think a phone call I made where I was passed from piller to post with no positive outcome constituted a successful phone call. They also stated that they had not received correspondence from me.

They answer questions with questions, fail to address issues I raise and I feel I am going round in circles here! What can I do to resolve this? Phoning is a thankless task - you are left on hold for absolutely ages and then after all that you are told they cannot help you.

Does it tell you on the letter what to do if you're not satisfied with their response, e.g. the complaints procedure? Once you've exhausted that, there is an ombudsman or equivalent. You could also try asking your MP to intervene.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I sent in a letter of complaint dated 6 November 2015 which they state they received on 18 November.

Their most recent letter says as the end "Our fact sheet (C/FS) entitled "Complaints" describes what to do if you are unhappy with the way we have dealt with your complaint". Then says where I can get a copy from. I find this so frustrating as they continually refuse to acknowledge my letters, or say they have not received them and do not respond to questions I have asked them.

I also get letters from their in-house debt collectors, Past Credit Solutions, who I have advised I will not be dealing with.

I know it is frustrating (been there, done that, independent adjudicator found that I wouldn't have copies of letters if I hadn't sent them) but you need to keep plodding through the complaints procedure. Start the next letter by saying you would like their response reviewd (link here https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-appeals-complaints/complaints), then go through your letter and their response and use numbered paragraphs to highlight every error/omission. When that produces a final response (you may have to insist they provide one, I did!) you can go to the Adjudicator.

As for Past Credit, just respond once with 'in dispute, bog off' and then ignore them.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

did they ever tell you how the overpayment came about?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Yes it is somewhat frustrating to say the least, especially when they respond to letters in riddles. Despite me writing to say I want to appeal they tell me I am not able to due to the length of time that has elapsed. The length of time has a fair bit to do with their complete lack of anyone seemingly knowing what they are doing.

I will though keep on plodding, and yes I have told Past Credit that I will not be dealing with them.

Thank you for your response.

Seems like a double edged sword they use!!

U cant appeal because of how long ago it was but they can reclaim it despite the length of time, that really isnt on and i fully sympathise with you.

I hope you keep on with this and dont give up, help is always available here.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

As reallymadwoman has said, you must get their final response and then go to the adjudicator @ http://www.adjudicatorsoffice.gov.uk

Myself and others will certainly help in any way we can, i'm not sure if there are any successes logged here but would create a very interesting milestone if one were.

I havent seen any on here but a quick google "tax credit appeal success" threw a few up on other sites

• 3 months later...

This is still ongoing sadly!

Quick question though - I requested a SAR which has been sent to me but it did not contain any correspondence at all, just print outs of BACs transactions.

I queried this with HMRC and was told they do not keep any correspondence going back after 2009. Is this what other members have come across?

I have written so many letters to them and find it hard to believe that not one was included in my SAR request.

I am not at the stage of taking this to The Adjudicator's Office.