T-Mobile T & C's Changes - Pay Monthly

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone.

Looking for bit of advice. T-mobile have text me detailing a clause they wish to change in the contract. In summation the original clause said I can cancel my contract if they increase the bill by more than the RPI or any other government recognised inflationary measure e.g. CPI as a percentage.

They want it to now say only the RPI will be used to decide if the rise in the bill is large enough to allow cancellation.

Since the CPI has been consistently lower since 2010 (recently 0.7% lower) I think this change is unfair and not only that but why should they be able to change clauses at will anyway.

What do you think?

PS since this is a sweeping change to the contract and not an actual or even proposed price increase i don't really want to get in to material detriment issues. The point is that this change increases the chances of material detriment in the future and therefore seems an unfair clause change.

Thanks

James

Many are and O2 i believe have changed their NEW contracts to basically say your contract WILL increase each year. This what I got however is an amendment to my existing contract which I can't see is fair. My contract does allow price increases and thats fine but they want to change the contract terms. As I see it that can only be allowed if I agree?

I've just had the text on EE

We’re making some changes to the terms and conditions for your 4GEE plan regarding the notification of price changes. The new terms will take effect from 26 March 2014.

Please see below the updated clause which details one of the instances in which you have the right to cancel your plan without charge, as a result of a price change.

7.2.3.3. We have given You Written Notice of an increase in a Price Plan Charge under point 7.1.4 and (i) the increase in Your Price Plan Charge (as a percentage) is higher than the annual percentage increase in the Retail Price Index (RPI) published by the Office for National Statistics (calculated using the most recently published RPI figure before we give you Written Notice under 7.1.4);

So, is this cause to cancel without charge as I did not agree to this type of rpi increase and will potentially make my contract dearer every year over the previous method ?

How do I go about refusing to agree to this change ?

Ty

I emailed them saying I want to cancel as I feel their change puts me at a material detriment in the future as they will be raising my bills by a set amount each year rather than May rise my bills.

They just sent this, in my opinion a copy and paste reply

--------------------------

Thank you for your email regarding the recent text message you received.

Please be advised the text message sent to you was not sent to notify you of a price increase but to advise you of a change in our network terms and conditions which will be made from 26 March 2014.

As a company we wish to provide clarity on the terms to ensure customers are provided with more certainty and transparency in the event of us making any changes to your price plan. The update in the terms and conditions supports the guidance Ofcom recently issued around fairness in contracts around several issues, including price increase in contract. The change in the terms provides greater clarity on price increase notification, which includes the instances when you as a customer have the right to cancel a contract without charge.

In addition to the above we have signed up to the government's Telecoms Consumer Action Plan which aims to improve the customer experience in a number of areas, including bill transparency and certainty over the lifetime of a contract, in line with the principles of Ofcom's guidance.

I trust the above explains more clearly to you why the text message was sent to you.

Yours sincerely

Executive Office,EE

-----------------------------------------

And another reply after I sent an email stating I will be at a material detriment due to the rpi figure calculations making a greater rise in future.

Thank you for response with regard to the recent notification in the change of the Terms and Conditions of your agreement.

Please be advised the Universal Service Directive 2003/22/EC you refer to is implemented in the UK through the Telecommunications Act 2003 and via Ofcom's General Conditions. Under General Condition GC9.6 a customer has the right to cancel its contract without paying a cancellation charge but only where the change is likely to be to the customer's material detriment. The notice we have issued to our customers is not a notice whereby the change is of material detriment, as such there is no entitlement for customers to cancel their contract without charge.

This is the companies final position and it refers the right not to enter into any further discussion with regard to this matter.

Yours sincerely

Executive Office,EE

I have replied to this again stating that I will be at a material detriment as per the reasons above. An if they will not honour their own terms and conditions then I demand they issue a deadlock letter so I can go to their regulator.

well done mate I will be doing the same! Shame no one with a bit of contractual law knowledge has bothered to respond. not really worth posting on CAG I guess

The reason is more likely that this has already been discussed in other areas of CAG - perhaps use the Search Engine to find this information. However, there is a good article on MSE.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2014/01/o2-to-hike-its-prices-by-2-7-can-you-leave-your-contract-penalty-free

Which I think covers the situation.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I don't see you have a reason to end the contract at this time, nothing has happened to put you at a disadvantage. When they actually announce an increase, then you can tell them your disposable income will not sustain a raise of that amount and to cancel the contract.

I don't see you have a reason to end the contract at this time, nothing has happened to put you at a disadvantage. When they actually announce an increase, then you can tell them your disposable income will not sustain a raise of that amount and to cancel the contract.

Hi

But if you look at the actual way it's written. Unless the raise is above the rpi then you can not cancel. My issue is. A raise inline with the rpi is going to be more than a standard inflation rise or CPI rise.

So this is why it puts me and all customers at a material detriment as the contract is now going to cost me more as I am tied in.

Yes, I see your reasoning now. Do it, tell them you have had no say in the change of contract and that in you opinion if is unfair iaw the Unfair Terms in Contracts regulations.

Thank you.

I have tried and received the above response saying they will not discuss it further as they say so.

Hi 2ltr,

What was the e-mail you used please, i've just come off the phone to the Philippines call centre who stated i'll be contacted in 6 weeks!!! by the complaints department.

They really do not get the rights to cancel without penalty do they !

[email protected]