Cancelling Bannatynes Membership

Argyll
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I informed (in writing) my local Bannatynes gym I was leaving. I was under the impression that under the new OFT ruling the cancellation period was 30 days. This would have meant my contract ended on 14 February.

However I received a letter from Bannatynes informing me my membership would not end until 28th February as its 30 calendar days. When I called Bannatynes they explained this was in my contract. I'm sure I have the contract somewhere so I haven't checked yet but surely any ruling would supercede this?

I know it's only 14 days but I've already made plans to join another gym on 14 Feb and do not wish them to overlap.

Is the 30 day calendar rule valid or is this another case of them trying it on?

Hi Argyll,

To be sure on this, you would have to check the T&C's of your agreement.

However, it makes sense to me that your cancellation should be effective up to the end of a month, or it should coincide with the usual DD payment date.

So for example :-

1. You give notice to cancel on, say, 14th Jan and the last DD payment would be taken in early Feb leaving you free to use the facilities up to 28th Feb.

2. You give notice on 14th Jan and the normal DD date and m/ship date is 22nd Jan. So you would pay the final DD on 22nd Jan leaving you free to use the gym up to Feb 21st.

In any event, you will see from the experiences here of others, that arguing about 14 days is simply not worth it.

Unless you can show from the T&C's that the gym is wrong, pay as they suggest and then cancel the DD.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I understand what you're saying but it doesn't seem quite right to me. For instance if I decided to cancel two days after my DD it would mean I would have to wait 58 days to cancel. This makes the 30 day cancellation ruling by the OFT a bit of a farce.

I think the aim of The OFT was to :-

1. Stop gyms signing members up to agreements for more than 12 months.

2. Ensure that members could leave in the event of moving home, redundancy or illness/injury.

3. Get rid of unfair terms that required you to give 3 months notice to quit.

Agreements reached with The OFT will hopefully make m/ships fairer for gym users.

In your case, you are talking about 14 days and, unless your T&C's say you don't have to cancel in that certain way, it's not worth arguing with the gym.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)