• Tweets

• I doubt HMCTS holds any data on whether arrests by AEAs required police assistance.  They couldn't or wouldn't provide data on how many of warrants issued were successfully executed - just the number issued!  In my experience, arrest warrants whether with or without bail are [surprisingly] carried out with little or no fuss.  I think it's about how you treat people - a little respect and courtesy goes a long way. If you treat people badly they will react the same way. Occasions when police are called to assist are not common and, having undertaken or managed many thousands of these over the years, I can only recall a handful of occasions when police assistance was necessary. On one occasion, many years ago, I arrested and transported a man from Hampshire to Bristol prison on a committal warrant. It was just me and he was no problem. I didn't know the Bristol area (pre Sat Nav) and he was kind enough to provide directions - seems he knew the prison.  One young chap on another committal warrant jumped out of his back window and I had to chase him across several garden fences.  When he gave up (we were both knackered) I agreed to drive by his girlfriend's house to say farewell for a while.  I gave them a few moments and he was fine. The most difficult are breach warrants but mainly in locating the defendant as they don't want to go back to prison - can't blame them.  These were always dealt with by the police until the Access to Justice Act transferred responsibility from them to the magistrates' courts. The fact was the police did not actively pursue them and generally only executed them when they arrested someone for something else and found they had a breach warrant outstanding.  Hence the transfer of responsibility.
    • thats down to mcol making that option available for you to select, you cant force it. typically if there are known processing delays at northants bulk it will be atleast 14 days later if not more.
    • Thanks   Noting the day to apply for default judgement if necessary
    • nope, as the display model was not the colour the customer wanted. but your question is totally immaterial anyway as custom built doesn't come into it. dx
    • as long as aos is done by day 19 from the date on the claimform they get a total of 33 days to file a defence. (whereby the date top right on the claimform is ONE in the 33 day count) dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cause of action/statute barred

fletch70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think that if anyone knows what the pertinent question was it would be me

If we agree that the breach is the cause...when do you believe the breach happens?

Why do you believe it....that is no answer...the law evolves and changes. In addition I have seen nothing that relates to a regulated agreement ( I am not saying nothing exists)

No I wasn't referring to BMW v Hart , I was referring to regulated agreements

Probably best not to edit after you've already received a response........ leads to others confusion

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The confusion seems to be from the rather misleading phrase ' the first missed payment' this clearly is wrong, the date of the last payment ever made or the day after it is what applies.

For an OD the date it is formally recalled applies, for Fixed Term Loans secured on goods (HP) the date of default as per the appeal court decision.

I understand that the decision is likely to be overturned fairly soon.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Mike, maybe it is a case of miscommunication . I know exactly what I asked and yes you have said that it depends on the contract but then it seems that you and Dodge seem to be getting into the mine is bigger than yours rather than having a rational discussion.

For what its worth I like definitive answers and a non definitive answer such as it depends just feeds my anxiety. The fact that some DCA's are now quoting the date of default as the COA is a concern . Now I am convinced that is wrong but still leaves the question open.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Mike, maybe it is a case of miscommunication . I know exactly what I asked and yes you have said that it depends on the contract but then it seems that you and Dodge seem to be getting into the mine is bigger than yours rather than having a rational discussion.

For what its worth I like definitive answers and a non definitive answer such as it depends just feeds my anxiety. The fact that some DCA's are now quoting the date of default as the COA is a concern . Now I am convinced that is wrong but still leaves the question open.

I like people to read my post before answering and not misquote me but we can't have everything in life.

Got nothing against Dodge except that he regularly misquotes me, difficult to have any discussion in those circumstances.

An agreement, regulated or otherwise is a contract. The contract [unless very poorly drafted] will contain terms expressing breach and remedy........... ergo, it depends on the terms of the contract.

The confusion seems to be from the rather misleading phrase ' the first missed payment' this clearly is wrong, the date of the last payment ever made or the day after it is what applies.

For an OD the date it is formally recalled applies, for Fixed Term Loans secured on goods (HP) the date of default as per the appeal court decision.

I understand that the decision is likely to be overturned fairly soon.

Brig

Why would, in the cases I have suggested, the last payment be the cause of action?

At the very least the cause would be the first missed payment

You have I am afraid already contradicted yourself on advice given on other threads when it comes to overdrafts , you have told people it is from the last payment made

As for the BMW v Hart...has it gone higher?

If it is overturned or not , at present it still stands

Thanks for this thread Fletch. Those with the facility to understand the relevant arguments will see the real issues and make an informed decision as to their stance on this.

I cannot see the debate on here going further without new data, so I will withdraw.

I would say as a parting thought, that people should not ignore relevant authority and opinion already quoted on here.

My mind on this is clear, not that I am necessarily right of course, I know that Sequency for instance disagrees with on some aspects of the DN point, and his arguments are as valid as mine.

One thing for sure, if and when a decision is passed down which clarifies the situation, it will involve issues and law raised by us and your good self, as with the best will in the world much on this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the operation of the SOL in relation to credit agreements.

:)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Maybe we can go no further on this discussion and we do need to leave it to the courts.

Most people I think have made their views very clear and I can not see much change in their positions happening any time soon. I can see a time in the not too distant future when it will be settled especially as the repeal of S127(3) has made the UE fight less freely available

Does anyone know if the BMW v Hart case is now closed or as suggested by the brig is it ongoing.

Dodge , although we may not always agree it has been a pleasure and you know how to reach me should you care to

I like people to read my post before answering and not misquote me but we can't have everything in life.

Got nothing against Dodge except that he regularly misquotes me, difficult to have any discussion in those circumstances.

An agreement, regulated or otherwise is a contract. The contract [unless very poorly drafted] will contain terms expressing breach and remedy........... ergo, it depends on the terms of the contract.

I believe the terms and conditions are a key ingredient in determining when time starts running.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

Credit card agreements in particular often have an 'associated' document usually a 'booklet' which contains a large amount of information regarding the administration of accounts, these are often discarded when received and never read.

Such a booklet will contain what you are looking for.

Edited by BRIGADIER2JCS

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Credit card agreements in particular often have an 'associated' document usually a 'booklet' which contains a large amount of information regarding the administration of accounts, these are often discarded when received and never read.

Those would be the terms and conditions, a statutory requirement, under section 63 of the act :)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

How about BMW v Hart :lol::lol::lol::madgrin:

I honestly believe that case simply reaffirms one of the core principles of limitations - which is that the statute runs from the earliest time at which an action could be brought. In that particular case it's clear that the contract defines when the time starts to run - which, of course, is likely to be the case with the vast majority of contracts.

I was only laughing because I knew how some people would react

However if you look at this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?413080-ASDA-Credit-card-GE-money-Help-needed

The actual agreement is in posy 6 by CitB you will see they say they will not demand the money until any legal requirements are fulfilled.

Any thoughts on that would be appreciated by anyone BTW

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?413080-ASDA-Credit-card-GE-money-Help-needed

The actual agreement is in posy 6 by CitB you will see they say they will not demand the money until any legal requirements are fulfilled.

That's an interesting contract, it appears pretty ambiguous from where I'm sitting. Wouldn't you agree?

Such a booklet will contain what you are looking for.

Thank you, Brig, but it is a very old account, over 20 years old, and there was no booklet.

Thank you, Brig, but it is a very old account, over 20 years old, and there was no booklet.

The requirement for a creditor to send the terms and conditions in the carrier with the card was introduced in 1985.

It seems right to me and as I said a few posts ago should be the requirement in all termination clauses under the act.

I believe this to be the cause of action because it is the earliest point that a demand can be made.

I'm confused as to why Brig has stated on an OD it is from the date it was formally recalled when he has previously been adamant it was from last payment. I still believe there is a big difference between an overdraft account that is recalled and one that goes into unplanned overdraft and is never corrected. We need to see some cases on this. I can't find any.

With respect this is not the first time he has done a 180 degree turn. He makes a mule look compliant (or even me for that matter lol)

Sometimes it is easy to get locked into a viewpoint that may have merit in some circumstances but not in others and keep repeating that viewpoint.

Only recently i saw a poster (non of the site team) make a statement that if not on your credit file it is SB. Anyone with a brain knows that although that MAY be true in some cases you would be a fool to take it as truth.

Another one is that if it has been sold it is a bad debt...again anyone with commercial experience would see why that doesn't hold water

As Dodge has said , this is the problem with forums, people buy into false beliefs and repeat them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks