• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cause of action/statute barred

fletch70
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Provide one that goes against it.

Please prove to me that there are industry standard t&c's because like mike hawk, mine are all different.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OMG!!!! It's the same argument that has been proved wrong a million times on this thread!!! ITS NOT WHEN THEY MAKE THE DEMAND ITS WHEN THEY HAVE THE OPTION TO!!!!!!

You do realise you're arguing with an extract of Santanders T's & C's??

....., this can only be post termination.

This is what was illustrated in BMW, the rest is just particulars of the case. The point is that the COA does not just run from the breach it has to run from when the creditor is able to action the recovery of the sums due under the contract(am I repeating myself)

This is all there is to it :)

incorrect, as per my posts. :)

The only thing this comment shows is your lack of common sense.

Comments like this don't help. Let's keep to the topic and only make sensible posts that add to the discussion.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes it is for the creditor to decide when the breach is significant enough to be considered repudiatory, he then has to send the statutory notice before he terminates this is when the COA starts.

It has to be because if it were any earlier the creditor would not get six years to enforce(this is the earliest point that he can demand payment)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

incorrect, as per my posts. :)

Sorry why, please bear with me there is a lot of posts on here now.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

There is a post on here where Dodge puts together two bits of relevant legislation. LA 1980 and CCA s87 (i think)

This made sense and appears to be the only really relevant piece of law that has been quoted.

I really do hate having to agree with people, i even have to agree with some of the site team occasionally :lol:

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Irrelevant to limitations. Personal variety will be in regards to interest rates ect. I'd say you was clutching at straws but it would be an insult to people who clutch at straws.

Are you saying that it's only t&c's in relation to limitations are the same?

in bmw, clause 12 wasn't held as in breach as such, hence the reliance on the notice as cause. and, in that case it was said that a notice may not be a determining factor, depends on each case. ie, if there is no deemed breach, then yes a notice/demand could be regarded as the cause

Do you mean this one ?

A cause of action requires a breach of contract I am afraid, there has to be something to base the action on. The other factor is that the creditor has to be able to make the action, both are elements of the COA.

There is a post on here where Dodge puts together two bits of relevant legislation. LA 1980 and CCA s87 (i think)

This made sense and appears to be the only really relevant piece of law that has been quoted.

I really do hate having to agree with people, i even have to agree with some of the site team occasionally :lol:

Thats OK you will get over it :)

Sorry why, please bear with me there is a lot of posts on here now.

generally, cause of action runs from the breach imo. if there's no prior breach, then yes otherwise from any notice etc that is unsatisfied. see my posts for eg.

Edited by Ford

Do you mean this one ?

A cause of action requires a breach of contract I am afraid,

:)

precisely, hence #341 etc

re a regulated matter where a dn would be applicable, the dn is not the cause of action. the breach is. time runs from the cause.

ps, don't be afraid

Edited by Ford

just posing a q re this;

'the expression 'cause of action' means the factual situation stated by the plaintiff which, if substantiated, entitles him to a remedy against the defendant. if, when analysed, it discloses a breach of contract, it accrues when that breach occurs, from which moment time begins to run against the plantiff. the fact that actual damage is not suffered by him until some date later than the breach (eg the dn?) does not extend the time within which he must sue'

Yes this is out of context. It refers to consequences of breach.

If breach of contract does not have an immediate effect then the COA cannot be delayed it must run from the actual breach. Perhaps a defaulted loan payment which means that the creditor later cannot buy a hat, the COA runs from the default not from the wardrobe failure.

Yes this is out of context. It refers to consequences of breach.

If breach of contract does not have an immediate effect then the COA cannot be delayed it must run from the actual breach. ....

its not out of context! it refers to/explains Cause of action and limitation in contract. cause runs from the breach, and cannot be delayed by issuing a dn say 5 years later. can you really see a court allowing a dn issued eg 5 years later to extend the time to 11years?

a dn is different to a cause of action. a dn is re relief, not cause.

Edited by Ford

yes, cause runs from the breach, and cannot be delayed by issuing a dn 5 years later. can you really see a court allowing a dn issued 5 years later to extend the time?

a dn is different to a cause of action. a dn is re relief, not cause.

When an agreement is breached(payment missed) a creditor cannot enforce, because the agreement is still in place, so if his six years started to run from that point how much time would he actually have ?

He must be able to demand payment, A DN is a statutory information notice.

relief v cause. the relief (enforcement) comes after the dn (if applicable). the cause comes before s87 ie 'by reason of any breach' (as you yourself agree, the breach is the cause). time runs from the cause of action, not from any subsequent dn.

if s87 n/a or no breach prior, then any subsequent unsatisfied notice/demand becomes a breach/cause, hence the cause then. eg where terms say can call in with demand for full payment, if not paid then cause.

that prior quote is Cheshire, Fifoot and is entirely relevant, and sums it up.

Edited by Ford

Keeping in mind the last paragraph of the previous post have a look at the requirement of the CCA 1974

87 Need for default notice.

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a)to terminate the agreement, or

(b)to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

My emphasis

There is his as mentioned earlier

But is it [dn] a requirement which effects upon accrual of cause or is it subordinate to an express term? Where is the settled law that confirms this?

A Dn will always be a requirement irrespective of what is in the contract, contracting out of the act is forbidden section 173

Perhaps if I put the two sections next to each other

the sol

3)Where a demand in writing for repayment of the debt under a contract of loan to which this section applies is made by or on behalf of the creditor (or, where there are joint creditors, by or on behalf of any one of them) section 5 of this Act shall thereupon apply as if the cause of action to recover the debt had accrued on the date on which the demand was made.

The CCA

87 Need for default notice.

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—

(a)to terminate the agreement, or

(b)to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

And also this

The SOL itself does not talk about breach(5-6) it just refers to the different kinds of contract. The reason being that the COA on a simple contract would be when it terminates, this is when payment become due and the creditor can demand it.

Earlier demand upon breach would depend on earlier termination of contract, which as said countless times by many learned sources will demand on the issuance of a DN on a regulated agreement.

This also why open ended agreement have there own section , because they do not terminate, the total due has to be on demand, the act itself says that the cause of action will be moved up until the point of demand, so I do not really see the cause of any argument.

Again the requirements of the CCA a DN would have to be met fist.

Hastily edit this post, this is not to say that the breach is not needed, it is because if the debtor paid the loan on termination(due date) their would be no COA.

Edited by Dodgeball

A Dn will always be a requirement irrespective of what is in the contract, contracting out of the act is forbidden section 173

Absolutely.

The more I'm reading, though, the more I'm starting to believe that the actual default notice and the whole 14 days thing doesn't matter. The point in which the default notice can be served due to the contractual breach on part of the debtor is when the time will start to run - as the creditor is entitled to sue for the full monies owing - save for the procedural matter of the sending of the statutory default notice + the requisite 14 days. This is pretty much what Guest and Lloyd in the ‘Encyclopedia of Consumer Credit Law’, Sweet and Maxwell, states at 2-088.

Absolutely.

The more I'm reading, though, the more I'm starting to believe that the actual default notice and the whole 14 days thing doesn't matter. The point in which the default notice can be served due to the contractual breach on part of the debtor is when the time will start to run - as the creditor is entitled to sue for the full monies owing - save for the procedural matter of the sending of the statutory default notice + the requisite 14 days. This is pretty much what Guest and Lloyd in the ‘Encyclopedia of Consumer Credit Law’, Sweet and Maxwell, states at 2-088.

I don't agree, the default notice does not demand repayment of the total debt, it demands payment of the contractual breach (the arrears), the demand for repayment of the debt comes after the 14 days and only if the DN is not paid.

This is the position expressed in the piece from practical law earlier, a demand for payment would be merely procedural under normal circumstances this is shown in the case law quoted, because the demand for payment is actionable from the completion of the contract, this is not the case on a regulated loan the requirements of the CCA delay this and give the debtor chance to remedy.

Basically as said the COA can only run from termination of the contract and a CCA contract cannot be terminated until a DN has been issued.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3819 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks