hmrc say I can't appeal. help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hmrc recently wrote to me to say that I can't appeal a tax credit decision because I said in my letter that I wanted to appeal against the overpayment outstanding on my Tax Credit award.

I had written to them because they erroneously overpaid me and are now asking for it back. They paid me despite my telling them to stop and as I understand it they are not allowed to ask for overpayments back when they have made a mistake like this. It was not clear that they were paying me because I received child tax credit, working tax credit and childcare element and it was only the childcare that should not have been paid but all the payments got mixed up together.

So I am fairly sure that I am in the right, BUT they have now said that I can only dispute the overpayment, not appeal. I don't understand the difference to be honest. Is this right? Or should I get back to them and query the appeal refusal? All help gratefully received.

Thread moved into Benefits main section as your query is not so much a HMRC (or tax) issue.

Hope you get the advice you need now.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)